SS365 – Seagull's Skyscape

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Skyscape Diaries – 2010 June 17

The previous day, at the start of Skyscape week 30, had been dull and dark, making it all the more of a treat to log in to CaptainsVoyage and find that Pakarang was back with a stunning Summer Trip report – and it started with weather to match one’s expectations of that season. What a delight to scroll down image after glorious image, all given a unity by the clever framing that included a charming “Summer Trip 2010” logo, incorporating the head of a dandelion flower.

The following day, the 17th of June, dawned equally blue-skied and summer-fresh as those photos.
    Logging on to the forum before heading outside, I realised that it was rather an important anniversary –exactly two years since I first joined CaptainsVoyage over on the old forum. Yes!–what a great way to say thank you to Captain it would be if I could somehow get a dandelion into my 365 image for this day! It would have to be seen against the sky of course, which was mostly blue with the prettiest of white clouds. Ah, summertime!
    Once outside I couldn’t immediately find any dandelions at all –places that used to be full of them totally lacking even a leaf. I had almost given up, when I spotted one, a single flower, nestling in the grass close to the house.

Photographing it against the sky was more difficult than I imagined, and I soon realised I would have to borrow D’s camera, a Nikon D5000 which unlike my D60 has a tilt-and-swivel LCD screen. Now I could actually see what I was taking as I lay on the grass, and I even stood a chance of getting the flower vaguely in focus!

Imagine my utter delight when later that day I eagerly sat down at the computer to follow the next instalment of Pakarang’s travels, and found that not only had he had been taking similar images, but that he had dedicated them to me.

So I’d now like to dedicate my Day 208 to him, with my heartfelt thanks for two wonderful years.

Comment

I wonder, I really wonder what made you do June 17th?
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Admiring the explanation of the long way leading to #208 i can't help. I must tell you my first thought, when i saw that picture: "This is a sky project, not a flower project"

But i like most #213, even if this is not a lighthouse project.
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Day 214– 2010 June 23

Comment

Day 215– 2010 June 24

Comment

Day 216– 2010 June 25

Comment

Day 217– 2010 June 26

Comment

Day 218– 2010 June 27

Comment

Day 219– 2010 June 28

Comment

Day 220– 2010 June 29

Comment

The Skyscape Diaries – 2010 June 26 – Day 217

I always find I experience a sudden shift in my natural sleeping patterns around this time of year. For a few months I’ve had my soundest sleep in the morning and hence have been getting up later. (Those images from sunrise and early morning on Mayday and Norway’s National Day, for example, were a real effort –an indication of total dedication to CaptainsVoyage!)
                        Then I seem to suddenly flip, literally “overnight”. I now find myself falling asleep during evening TV programmes, or going to bed early – I mean really seriously early, while the shrieks and laughter of children’s games can still be heard through the open window. Then I wake in the early hours wishing it was time to get up.

On this particular day, Skyscape day 217, I had woken at 4am and was still awake half an hour later. It wasn’t even as if it was all that light, and getting up and looking out of the window I saw why –dark grey clouds everywhere . . . except for a hesitant opening through which the sky was clear but for delicate bands of pale lilac.

I reached for my camera, and as I took the photo, a seagull soared into view. Perfect!

Comment

The Skyscape Diaries – 2010 June 28 – Day 219

I love this image for Day 219, clouds with trailing fronds and veils, drifting like some kind of celestial jellyfish through the blue!

Comment

The Skyscape Diaries – 2010 June 29 – Day 220

Skyscape Day 220. It started out a blue-sky day, against which I thought I would once again set some architectural feature –but which? It occurred to me that it is the time of year when the Edinburgh University graduations take place, but rather than featuring the McEwan Hall which is used for such ceremonials, I have chosen the dome of Old College.

This monumental building to an original design by Robert Adam and completed by Playfair still lacked its intended dome for some years. Eventually, following a bequest, a dome to the design of Sir Robert Rowand Anderson was erected in 1887. The final flourish at the top of the dome is a sculpture of a naked young man holding high the torch of knowledge and learning. He is generally known as “The Golden Boy”.

Comment

Thank you, Seagull, for your beautiful and poetic pictures!
                              I have not read every post and seen every picture, only browsed, but I will follow this post for the rest of the photographic year.
                              And thanks for a good idea!
                              Regards; Sigve.
                              ---
                              IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

ones again,there great Cecilia.
                                i love those clouds of 214.215,216 and 219.
                                best regards Thijs

Comment

Working...
                                X