Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Photo Assignment: Bridging the gap: Image Gallery of the World's Bridges.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow that's terrific, Thjis! Super impressive photos of a super impressive bridge!

Comment

• janihudi
      janihudi commented
      Editing a comment
      had been there some years back with Wesley and also made images there,not a computer that days,so i had let them be printed.
      though it's nice to walk underneith the bridge,there isn't a place you can get it complete side view. or i had to drive into the valley.

Ivy, you will remember, we stoppes at that bridge, too! I would not locate it in the south of germany - to far north from our place.. but you should have a trip with thijs again: much better view from his high cabin and more time thanks to the must-have-breaks.
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Pegasus Bridge, originally called the Bénouville Bridge after the neighbouring village, is a road crossing over the Caen Canal, between Caen and Ouistreham in Normandy. The original bridge, built in 1934, is now a war memorial and is the centrepiece of the Memorial Pegasus museum at nearby Ranville. It was replaced in 1994 by a modern design which, like the old one, is a bascule bridge.

On 6 June 1944, during the Second World War, the bridge was, along with the nearby Ranville Bridge over the Orne River (another road crossing, later renamed Horsa Bridge), the objective of members of D Company, 2nd (Airborne) Battalion, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, a glider-borne force who were part of the 6th Airlanding Brigade of the 6th Airborne Division during Operation Deadstick, itself part of Operation Tonga in the opening minutes of the Allied invasion of Normandy. Under the command of Major John Howard, D Company was to land close by the bridges in six AS 51 Horsa gliders and, in a coup-de-main operation, take both intact and hold them until relieved by the main British invasion forces. The successful capture of the bridges played an important role in limiting the effectiveness of a German counter-attack in the aftermath of the Normandy invasion.

Later in 1944, the Bénouville Bridge was renamed Pegasus Bridge in honour of the operation. The name is derived from the shoulder emblem worn by the British Parachute Regiment which depicts Bellerophon riding the flying horse Pegasus.

Pictures I took when visiting Normandy in June of this year. First the original one, with bulletmarks and all:
      ​​​​​​

Then what it looks like today:

Then, we have a similar bridge in Trondheim, which I photographed with my iPhone a week ago:

"IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Pegasus bridge is one of my favourite trip by bike when I go from Caen to Ouistreham. Nice to learn there is the same bridge in Trondheim. thank's for sharing it.

Comment

• Sterkoder
          Sterkoder commented
          Editing a comment
          Note that the bridge in Trondheim is for railway and trains only :-)

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
        . Nice to learn there is the same bridge in Trondheim..
        there are a few of that type and model also in Antwerp too.

best regards Thijs

Comment

Working...
        X