No announcement yet.

Photo Assignment: Abandoned and dilipated houses and properties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know I told you otherwise, Jan-Olav..., but now, after seeing the video and 36 pictures in your link above; No, I don't want to go to Chernobyl no more.
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Now you see it, now you don't.
      A Bus Station somewhere in the UK demolished in one great big bang: http://www.vgtv.no/#!/video/109708/s...jonen-i-ruiner

Comment

• nari
        nari commented
        Editing a comment
        That's exactly how it should be done!!
        In 1997 the original hospital here was due for demolition via implosion........but it exploded and killed a teenager about half a kilometre away. Not good publicity at all.

Fred Dibnah was the one who started this enthusiasm in England for demolition-watching. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...lton-home.html
      A Lancashire steeplejack who turned to getting them down instead of putting them up, his TV series in the late '70's was a delight to follow. He was such a character, warm, straight to the point and with a great sense of humour that I think he won everybody's heart. I remember sitting there watching him get those tall, slim factory chimneys down by means of his own unorthodox method of lighting a fire - but a fire in the right place, carefully judged to make the pile of bricks fall exactly where he had planned.
      It was when he turned to showing us his great interest in old machinery, preferably steam-driven (Thijs, you would have loved it), that my almost childish enjoyment of watching chimneys fall in a cloud of dust deepened to a fascination in the machinery he demonstrated, already an interest long a vague presence in that back-of-my-mind section that likes to know how things work. I would, anyway, probably have enjoyed following straightforward documentaries, but at first it was Fred whom I was following and then I became completely hooked.
      Seeing that website makes me now feel I'd love to visit his old place. I had not realised it had been made into a Fred museum. I must make plans.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

May this abandoned town be inspiration to all of you!

http://www.sliptalk.com/abandoned-town/
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Abandoned village in China: http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/10/wo...nes/index.html

Comment

For along time now I've had some kind of dream to do some Urbex photography. Urban Exploration really appeal to me, and I'd love to do more of it, although it often is illegal, the Urbex photographers never say where, and it all seems difficult..., it produces rather cool pictures.

What I'm about to show you here is exclusive to you all on Captainsvoyage, because I was asked not to publish on Facebook.
            A good friend of mine managed to get a key to the long since abandoned Langveien secondary school in the heart of Kristiansund, finally making my dream come to life as we locked ourselves inside the building today.

To let you get an idea of where the school is situated, let me just post some of my pictures from last week, when I photographed outside the school.

The school was established in 1924 and abandoned when the new school opened in 2005

Comment

So now to the pictures made exclusivly for CaptainsVoyage...., from inside the school building.

Well, just one more from outside first

This is how the main entrance from #450/3 looks from the inside

We walked the corridors first

In the basement it was rather dark

Comment

When walking the basement, I was glad we were two...

Then we walked room by room.

A selfie in the chemistry lab..., or what's left of it...

An old cinema machine from Brenkert with Carl Zeiss optics

An old (and dead) Hoover Constellation vacuum cleaner

Comment

Ok..., finally, here's a HDR image of the photographer himself. 'Sterkoder' in action ;-)

Comment

What an absolutely fantastic opportunity!
                    And you sure made the most of it in this exclusive album of evocative images - including spooky ones entirely appropriate to be looking at this Friday the 13th

Comment

Interesting indeed. And you manage to handle that poor light in a superb way too.!

Comment

Thank you so much for nice comments. I used my new tripod, ISO 100, in fully Manual settings all the way. In a few images, I set the Pentax to take pictures in the integrated HDR setting.
                        In addition, I used a remote control in a mirror-up configuration.
                        It HAD to be rather superb, hadn't it ? ;-)

Comment

• Tommi
                          Tommi commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes it had!
                          But it's still the human behind the camera who creates the pictures! :-)

ISO 100 is nice, personally I had probably gone with 400, it reduces time for me as a impatient photographer... :-)

Fascinating sir Sterkoder!

I'm just like you: I do also love these kinds of images and photography, and as you said so perfectly, they are often difficult to do for most people. Most places such as these are off limits to the general public. I know of some location in and around my own city, but I never seem to find the right amount of courage to venture inside them.
                        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

A major fishing attraction is gone: http://www.citylab.com/politics/2015...g-mall/384569/

Comment

• Ralf__
                            Ralf__ commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Spooky....

Spooky house in Brusdalen, near Aalesund:

Comment

• Seagull
                            Seagull commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Brilliant photo ombugge - that spooky house is becoming as overgrown as an ancient Cambodian temple!
                        Working...
                        X