Photo Assignment: Abandoned and dilipated houses and properties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black House, Ardnamurchan

A ruined black house thought to once have been occupied by Wendy Wood, a staunch nationalist who was involved in many exploits in the 20th century.

Black house ruin, Ardnamurchan by albatrail, on Flickr

and another ruin on the Morvern peninsula

Morvern ruin by albatrail, on Flickr

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
    This shall be fun. There are abandoned houses and buildings everywhere around me.
    Agreed I'd never thought of stopping and taking photos of these buildings before.
    Last edited by Gaelsail; April 13th, 2009, 14:44.

Comment

Some abandoned buildings/houses are often more beautiful abandoned than well kept and newly painted...., not so for this building in Kristiansund.
      This was once a workshop for an old harbour for leisureboats...
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I like seeing old buildings from around the world. Here in the southern USA our history is only several hundred years and the buildings are made of wood. Not much ancient stone like Europe.

----

Here is an abandoned farm. The growth of large corporate farms has put many small family farms out of business.

How would you like to live here?

Comment

Every place needs an outhouse.

And another building abandoned for too long.

Last edited by pilotdane; April 15th, 2009, 13:40. Reason: inserted wrong link

Comment

There are all sorts of interesting junk/antiques inside this barn.

This one is a borderline call. I have never seen this old tobacco barn used for anything but it is in someone's yard.

Comment

There is so much history and so many great images in this thread now. This is quickly becoming one of my favourites and I think I'll vote some stars to this thread...

(Bottom note: you may also vote threads that you like, with ratings: look just above the thread in the group overlook, and you will find the voting system in place).
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

While going through photos for the Antarctica thread, I suddenly realised that I was looking at some that actually belong here! Although a few old research stations and bases remain in partial use and may have some rooms with objects arranged as a museum, there are many more buildings that have simply been abandoned. In earlier times there was not the same idea of clearing up and keeping the environment pristine as would be expected today. All sorts of unwanted belongings and rubbish remain, and in many cases these now count as historical artifacts which must not be removed.

Comment

Interesting old hut.... from Antarctica to Rørvik... this thread is now becoming quite a must for all to see/ read, and study!

Do you have any idea if that is an old storage shed or some kind of hut where people used to spend the night?

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

It was probably some kind of storage. It is close to other buildings constituting East Base, an American base dating from an expedition in the 1940’s. Some effort was made around 1990 to gather together objects as a “museum” in the most substantial of the buildings.
                    Also not far away is the British Base “E” which was abandoned once the modern base at Rothera was established, as were a number of others.
                    The location is Stonington Island, in Marguerite Bay.

Comment

Dane, does this building have floor on the second story, or could it also be a tobacco barn? Maybe a stable, with storage above for hay?????

When I get through all the other trip postings, I'll trot out and get some photos of old chimneys, etc. That's mostly what's still standing from 145 years ago..."That Man" (aka the yankee General Sherman) came through this area on his infamous "March to the Sea" and burned almost everything in his wake....most of what's abandoned around here is just barely 100 years old...

Comment

When I was a little girl, I used to play in a building like this on my grandparents' place. It was an old abandoned corncrib... with storage on the side for horsecarts and haywagons...

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                          ...When I get through all the other trip postings, ...
                          Join the club ehp! – you have no idea how much more relaxed I feel now that someone else is finding it challenging to catch up with themselves (as well as following all the other unmissable threads we have going on CV at the moment)

Comment

Went a walk and took some photos earlier today, only about the third time I posted any photos taken locally, but once again it was completely untypical sunny weather! So wandering along a road of suburban housing to the accompaniment of lawnmower noises as residents tended their gardens, I recollected having seen here, many years ago, a house that was empty and boarded up, and the thought passed through my mind that it would have been appropriate for this thread on CV. Imagine my surprise when I suddenly saw that same house in front of me, still boarded up and abandoned! Now while this may not the poshest of the city’s residential areas, it is certainly not a place where you expect to see boarded up property – indeed folk seem to be obsessed with how much their houses would be worth if they were to sell. Possibly the neighbours had been thinking along those lines and may have intervened to tidy the abandoned garden. I don’t know why the house is empty and not obviously for sale.

Behind the houses there is an area of woodland (and beyond that a golf course.) An old quarry, disused, since the 30's or 40’s is concealed within the area of trees. There is actually very little exposed rock remaining and the area is rather overgrown. From a higher vantage point at the top of the quarry I had previously seen a building which I now thought could be another possible subject for this thread. I had supposed that it was a disused store or depot of some kind, clearly dating from a later time than the actual quarrying.

Only just now have I found out what that building was, and I am absolutely amazed as I am sure you will be too:-

Constructed in 1955 and apparently in use until at least 1968, and possibly a lot later, it is a relic of the Cold War – not a nuclear bunker as such, but a Control Room for Edinburgh’s Civil Defence operations in the event of an attack!

Comment

Ummmm.... very interesting again! This must surely be one of the most fascinating threads on CV... among the top 3 on my list at least.

The first house is really cute. I also wonder why it has been boarded up and abandoned: it could naturally be many reasons; left because of an impossible to follow building code, due to extensive mold in walls, fire damage, radon-gas discovery,etc etc... still fascinating to see though.

The bunker is quite amazing to read about as well. Gives me an idea to try capture some images of the fortifications all around the Naeroysundet here in Rorvik. There is numerous corridors, bunkers and big gun mounts all the way around this area. > New thread to follow some day....

Comment

Cheap hotel in Bali anyone?

Took this picture of A Hotel in Bali during X-mas 2006.

We went back the next year to see if it was still standing?

Sure enough there it was. A little worse for wear.

Here is an overview of the facilities, if anybody is looking for excotic but cheap accommodations in Bali.

Comment

Working...
                                X