No announcement yet.

Photo Assignment: Abandoned and dilipated houses and properties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With sturdy shoes, low tide, and unbelievable lack of even the slightest breeze in this exposed spot there was no problem in walking around the lighthouse.

Comment

I tried taking details from various viewpoints:

Comment

The sunlight filtering through the room in the tower, far from brightening up the derelict surroundings, seemed to impart an eerily mysterious occupied look, as if someone had just left a light on and opened the window.

Comment

The spooky atmosphere lingered in the gloomy recesses beneath the concrete platform.

Comment

It was time to try getting creative, and attempt to convey more of the scarier aspect of this abandoned building. I thought a bit about images I'd seen of pakarang's and, feeling inspired but inadequate, I did something I've never done before – taking a photograph with the premeditated intention of creatively processing it afterwards.

Comment

Finally I also took an image to convert to black and white later (though I can hardly say that was a "first" as I used to take, develop and print black and white photos back in the 70's).
              I hope I have managed to convey to you something of the sense of unease and strangeness of this place.

Comment

A nice set, the whole place looks like it have been "blasted out" to the concrete and then just left there.

Comment

Brixham, South Devon, at the weekend. I don't know the story of these buildings at the end of the Breakwater, or why they're now used for storage of all sorts of nets, ropes and so on. What I do know is that thousands of troops left the ramps and piers for Omaha Beach during the D-Day landings, perhaps the buildings have something to do with that?

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Love the continuity here from my previous posts –things at the end of breakwaters!

Comment

I spent only a few hours in Brixham a few years ago and, despite the holiday season just beginning to get going, I quickly had a feel for the place as it must once have been. There is a potted "popular" history of it at http://www.brixham.uk.com/Pages/Hist...troduction.htm where I found three sections of interest. Ships in Torbay is followed by two others of which I found Quarrying and Mining very informative.
                      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Singapore may be known more for it's gleaming new buildings, but we also have our share of abandoned buildings here.
                        Here is one of the less well known: http://remembersingapore.wordpress.com/istana-woodneuk/

Comment

I was getting quite nostalgic reading all those comments on the website. I was walking along till I found the Dempsey Road sign then struggling up the jungly path till I could get to the house. It looks as if it was once a lovely place.
                          Ivy

Comment

This is what Istana Woodneauk looked like as late as 1986:

If you follow the link at the bottom of the last one you'll find other Istana in Singapore, past and present.

Comment

That is charming....
                              Ivy

Comment

This abandoned house was seen along Alexandra Road in Singapore:

Not as grand as Istana Woodneauk, but still a nice looking building. Probably of the early post-war era.

Comment

Working...
                                X