Photo Assignment: Abandoned and dilipated houses and properties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    ....Sorry if I bothered you all with a rather personal story, but I felt like telling you this....
    Bothered??!! Oh Svein, Svein….You just made my day, really touched me. Unexpectedly I suppose – this is a thread I hold extra special, but usually for reasons of curiosity and imagination, sometimes drawn by spookiness or strangeness, or the sort of philosophical musings I wrote about in the post just before yours. Often it’s simply a “sense of place” that I seem to be sensitive to. But one isn’t expecting a personal story to emerge from within our CV family, as one might in the thread “My Ship” or similar topics.

I wonder how I would have reacted to seeing this place had I not known your connection with it. There is indeed something unsettling yet at the same time comfortingly protective about that image #338/2 with all the foliage smothering the porch and front door, denying access.

By the time I reached the swing rope and the remaining planks of the tree hut I was actually crying in a happy way. And your talent for photography has made this sharing possible.
    These will be special images for Vilde to treasure of a day she will not forget.

Comment

Re: Photo Assignment: Abandoned and dilipated houses and properties

Well, bothered might be the wrong word.

Thank you for your heartfelt comments, cecilia!
      I can assure you, this was a strange and special trip for me, and the thing is; when I woke up this morning, I didn't plan this visit at all.
      I didn't know until about 30 minutes before that I would walk around at the old farm with my daughter...

I'm facinated by old abandoned houses and buildings, and I could have taken hundreds of images have I had the time today.
      I had all my objectives with me, and a couple of hours there with my 10-17...., or 90mm macro.....
      Mmmmmm, I must be back there one day I think.

And the thing is;
      My mother also enjoyed taking pictures (I knew I had it from somewhere), so there are some pictures from that farm at the time we rented the house.
      I have to take a look in my mothers old albums, and maybe scan some images.
      In a way, I feel like showing you how the farm looked like when people lived there and it was kind of preserved...
      Last edited by Sterkoder; June 4th, 2011, 23:31.
      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

That is awsome, and I hope you will succeed in finding some of the old photos, and showing us the “then” as well as the “now”.

Comment

I found some pictures taken back in 1973, and for easier comparison "then/now" I would insert them where they belonged in conjunction with the "now" images of page 17.
          Then I remember that it would not work, as we now are not allowed to upload more than 6 images including smilies pr. post.
          (Enjoyed it more when it was 10).
          Nevertheless, I guess you could find out for yourselves what "then" image suits what "now" image.

The small wooden bridge over the little creek is completely gone, and as we can see, the steps are intact and trees and bushes are alot less dominant

The building was not completely white back then either.

The barn was complete, and there were no tree growing out of the roof on the far side

Inside the lower window of the second image.
          (The round table was still there Saturday as I could see it from a distance)

Me and my brother fixing a grill down by the boathouse.
          My brother in the blue suit. He was 7 and I was 10, now he sadly is dead and I'm 48. (You can understand why this was an emotional visit for me)

Hope you enjoyed this even if it became more personal than we are used to in here. But, we're a family..., aren't we...?
          Last edited by Sterkoder; June 6th, 2011, 23:35.

Comment

Sterkoder - wonderful. It is indeed personal, but in such a way that it helps to learn so much about your personality. I think each of us has very emotional places, for me it is the farm of my grand parents, it has always been a picture in my life and i am trying to build up my life according to this picture. So this place is visible each day in my mind. And i see how important this visit there was - and is - for you. I am proud and feel again very honoured to be part of this family...
            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

....Hope you enjoyed this even if it became more personal than we are used to in here. But, we're a family..., aren't we...?
              I think I am very used to being personal here amongst my CV family.
              But to come to this thread today and find these old pictures and realise what they mean to you was a special moment, and brings a deeper dimension to the phrase “Thank you for sharing”.
              Like Ralf just said, I’m proud and honoured to belong here.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                It is the image of the switches in #328 that really gets to me. Always there is the fascination of former times and peoples’ lives in abandoned places, but there is something more, something closer about that image…the feeling of touch, of touching and turning for the very last time that brings me so close to that person. The thought of a “last time” for something. Did they even know it was going to be the last time I wonder…such a simple everyday act become so philosophical and meaningful.

I think the sense of touch is important to me. I’m always wanting to touch things.

Pakarang, you have started me thinking of selecting “touch” images from your work for a photo-essay, or a future assignment.
                Dearest Lady C,

You are actually talking about something very essential there... something which says that we have some very similar thoughts on some level. I have also thought about that many times: "the last time"... While I was working on the Norway (and I think I might have talked about this before also somewhere), I often thought about how it would be like when the Norway did her last departure, last arrival, last cruise, last time slowing down for her port call, last turn around.... it has fascinated me for such a long time.

When it comes to the light switch, what struck me was that I started thinking about the people who LAST TIME put it into that particular position, when was it installed, and when was it switched off for the last time. This is extremely fascinating stuff.

Same as above
                And to you Sterkoder: I'm so profoundly thrilled that you have started taking so many wonderful photographs (such as these)!. You do have a wonderful touch to your images and each time you present something like these, all I can think is that I do want so much more images from you. There is an artist in you, rest assured, that if you choose to follow your passion, you can create wonderful things.

The above image is also really scary: it stood out of them all and literally shouted at me. Imagine making a scary movie at that very location: so incredibly spooky setting.

And that you have also told us about your connection and your story, that makes the whole thing come together like a wonderful puzzle solved. Bored? No way!

This is the kind of thing I keep on returning to for inspiration, and to learn more of the past. Wonderful!
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Well..., what can I say, in bed surfing on my iPhone...
                  J-O, I'm in awe after your comments on my story and images here.
                  It's like the Master Photographer turns to his pupil for inspiration...
                  As Lady C mention, or it might have been in a PM, my way of photography is to take a well composed and as correct as possible picture the first time.
                  I might loose something by doing it that way, but I don't think so..., personally.
                  This lead to me trying to live up to other great photographers in here by taking pictures I myself would like to see, and images good enough for public presentation.
                  You all are inspirators to me, all in your own way, and over the past few years I've learned a lot about photography from CVF. Thanks!!
                  Everyone have their own style and items they want to photograph more than other items. I have a passion for ships and boats, but more and more gets drawn towards abandoned houses and buildings. Facinating!!
                  Ok..., now my eyes are closing themselves, so see you all tomorrow....ZZZzzzzzzzzzz
                  Last edited by Sterkoder; June 9th, 2011, 22:48.

Comment

Near the harbor in Bilbao, Spain. I would LOVE to know what this building was at one point.

Comment

... and even more, I would love to explore the insides of it.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

An old water pump house now abandoned, by the lake Jonsvannet, Trondheim's drinking water:

Comment

The window of an abandoned shed in Trondheim:

Comment

Anybody remember the abandoned Pacific Mall in Johor Bahru:

Well, it is still standing there, looking more or less the same.

Comment

But this is not the only abandoned Mall in JB. Here is the Waterfront City Lot 1. Completed in 2000 and intended to bring in new business and life to the area facing Singapore across the Johor Strait:

The project failed when the Owner run into financial problems and the whole thing closed down in 2003.

Comment

I don't know if it can be called abandoned, since there is still an Owner, with a small office at the wharf:

But all activity within the complex has ceased and the place has an abandoned look:

Comment

Working...
                                X