No announcement yet.

Photo Assignment: Abandoned and dilipated houses and properties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These ideas of yours to photograph new objects really open my eyes in a new way.
    Today I drove around, and found an old house close to the sea close to my childhood home which I've never seen before in my close to 46 years on this earth....
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
      These ideas of yours to photograph new objects really open my eyes in a new way.

Today I drove around, and found an old house close to the sea close to my childhood home which I've never seen before in my close to 46 years on this earth....
      I too drove around today, and gathered some new buildings which I will be sharing shortly.

Beautiful weather and a couple more spooky houses. It's actually quite amazing how many I have also not seen, even though they were right in front of my eyes.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

This old house is less than a mile (km) from my house.

Comment

Thank you so much Dane... that is an interesting building. I see it's built with timber and that the house is ... ehh... what do you call it in English... (I think it's 'lafted' in Norwegian), referring to the overlapping logs at each corner of the house.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
            I'm really thrilled to having been able to make you see new things and I'm even more happy to see that you and Dane has added new images to this thread. As I have mentioned so many times already, abandoned buildings and houses, and cars for that matter, are truly interesting objects.

I would like to invite all people from all across the world to pick up their cameras, go hunting and share with us more images: in this thread, in new threads or in other existing threads. My dream is to be able making a great photo community on CV, and I know we still have a long way to go to stimulate more people to join our ranks.

Yesterday, I went hunting with my camera again, in the great sunny weather. I knew of a few houses in downtown Rørvik I wanted to photograph, so they were high up on my notepad.

This is one of them, number 10, not sure of the street name.

Comment

Second image from me today in this thread, also in downtown Rørvik... Unfortunately, I'm not so familiar that I know the street names here, so all I can say, is that is number 3.

I think I once heard that more than 18 children were born in this house, not far from the local Felleskjøpet outlet and pleasure craft harbour (no, not yacht harbour)...

The house has been empty for as long as I can remember, but it looks like there is some kind of restoration underway.

Comment

Third image from an abandoned building on Lauvøya, Vikna County: I think this might have been a local school building for the lowest grades, or possibly a community house for those that lived on this island before.

Comment

Not totally abandoned this old ship yard in Kristiansund. It's the closest building to the new Thorn Hotell further up here...

The first picture was from 2006. This is how it looks this afternoon. As you see, the modern times are eating rock closer and closer.
                  The Riksantikvaren (someone please translate) have desided that the building and slip are to be taken care of in the future...
                  And if you look to the right edge of the first picture, you'll see a red old house with small windows. That's the very first prison in Kristiansund.
                  It's from 1700's...;-)
                  "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Thanks for the new additions Sterkoder, very thankful for the additions.

I have three new images to share with all of you: all located on various locations in Vikna County:

And a house, abandoned as a result of much more tragic circumstances and standing alone as a reminder to all that it happens to many every day, all around the world.

Comment

A mobile home (trailer). It is about 10-12 feet (3-4 meters) wide and needs a special permit to be towed down the road. Most single wide trailers like this do not meet modern codes. Existing (old) ones can be used if they have been lived in and remain in their old location (grandfathered under the old laws) but if it is moved to a new location it must meet the modern codes before it can be connected to electricity. So, most are abandoned in place or burned.

An old barn that possibly was living quarters for slaves or share croppers. The only clue that someone may have lived here is the wooden floor beams. Most barns for tools and equipment do not have a floor (it is left as dirt).

Comment

Another log barn.

A two level barn that was used to raise chickens.

Comment

All of the abandoned pictures I am submitting are all within 1km of my house. There are two types of construction. I do not know if the different style is because of wealth or the origin & training of the builder. Both styles of construction are used on homes, tool barns and tobacco curing barns. The squared joints and hewn logs might be from a more wealthy (rich) family since they take considerably more work to make. The "V" shaped joints are always used with buildings made from round logs and are very quick and easy to make.

The buildings are all held together by the shape of their joints, wood pegs and gravity. Iron is used on door hinges, and there are some cut iron nails in the floor boards of houses, but generally no nails or iron spikes are used in the structure of the buildings.
                          Last edited by pilotdane; April 11th, 2009, 23:15.

Comment

This one is certainly abandoned but I do not know if we can call it a building any longer.

Comment

Thank you very much Dane... love your new additions. This thread now exceeds my expectations and I thank all that has so far contributed to the thread. Keep it up, I find these sorts of images very interesting to study!

Comment

OK, you asked for it. There are many abandoned buildings near my home.

Comment

Working...
                                X