X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are some more examples of abandoned buildings:

http://www.frosk.dk/abandoned/

http://livetleker.wordpress.com/cate...steder/page/2/

Interesting theme indeed... I wish we could get more members interested in this, because I would love to see so much more.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Tell me, am I the only one here fascinated by old abandoned and dilipated buildings?

Here is a farm I came across on a recent walk from Bekken parking to Estenstadhytta in Trondheim:

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
        Tell me, am I the only one here fascinated by old abandoned and dilipated buildings? ....
        No, you’re not, pakarang. It is my absolute favourite CVF thread of the non-ship ones.
        I’m always on the look-out for things for this thread, really I am.
        I suppose I don’t so easily get out and about locally without own transport, but I do have a couple of buildings in mind that I intend to return to and take photos of soon... Meanwhile, I’ve an abandoned church in Greenland, images that I was rather pleased with, to show you shortly….

Comment

I just had a look at the mental hospital link...WILD!

I don't know if you and I together would be brave enough....we might need several folks to go with us...really spooky.

Comment

I’d decided I might be brave enough E …but then it said at the end something about being illegal to enter –it would be just my bad luck to be seen by some passing policeman and arrested for trespassing….perhaps banned from visiting Norway ever again…now that is a really scary thought!

But the odd thing is I could have sworn that I had said all this at the time you posted the link, pakarang, but clearly I haven’t posted anything….now that does feel spooky.

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
              I just had a look at the mental hospital link...WILD!

I don't know if you and I together would be brave enough....we might need several folks to go with us...really spooky.
              That mental hospital would be awesome to visit... but I'm not sure I would have dared venture inside with Lady E... I have a feeling she might have tried to scare the water out of me, by hiding and jumping out in front of me screaming BOOOOO....

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
              I’d decided I might be brave enough E …but then it said at the end something about being illegal to enter –it would be just my bad luck to be seen by some passing policeman and arrested for trespassing….perhaps banned from visiting Norway ever again…now that is a really scary thought!

But the odd thing is I could have sworn that I had said all this at the time you posted the link, pakarang, but clearly I haven’t posted anything….now that does feel spooky.
              Trespassing is one of the scary scenarios for me as well, but I doubt it would be a serious offense. Naturally, it would be better in advance to clarify the entry with someone in charge or the property owner, asking them for permission and stating why we would want to enter. But sometimes, there are no owners, and there are none to ask.

Comment

That mental hospital would be awesome to visit... but I'm not sure I would have dared venture inside with Lady E... I have a feeling she might have tried to scare the water out of me, by hiding and jumping out in front of me screaming BOOOOO....
                I wouldn't do that..because it would give you the right to turn around and do it to ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

.... Naturally, it would be better in advance to clarify the entry with someone in charge or the property owner, asking them for permission and stating why we would want to enter....
                  These days I would think in the case of places like an abandoned institution, the local authority or owner would require one to sign away any right to claim against them should one be injured as a result of collapsing floor or ceiling or whatever. That would probably be their main concern, and the reason for the place being officially off limits.

Comment

Greenland #4 – An abandoned church in Kraulshavn

With this little photo-essay about an abandoned church in Greenland I am rather jumping ahead of myself in the journey sequences of the threads about the Arctic and Greenlanders…but I felt like making a contribution to this thread just now, and that it might be appreciated, so here it is.

The ship Fram had made an unscheduled visit to a very small settlement called Kraulshavn. Its location in hilly surroundings may sound appealing, but this is emphatically not “picture postcard” Greenland. Rubbish strewn around, dilapidated houses, a general air of neglect…yet along with Thule and Dundas Village, this place remains in my memories as the high point of the entire voyage. I will try to show why in the other threads in due course. Here, now, is just the story of the church.

Given that few buildings had been recently painted, it was not immediately obvious from a distance that the church on the hill was derelict. Then, getting closer, came the shock of the realising the roof was collapsed and there had been a fire. At first I, not unnaturally, assumed that this had recently occurred. So it was rather disturbing to learn that the fire had actually happened a whole year previously.

But this is remote traditional Greenland and life is lived differently here…the church services, and also a school affected by the fire, had decamped to another building, and this “temporary arrangement” simply became permanent.

Last edited by Seagull; March 17th, 2011, 16:29.

Comment

Increasingly fascinated and drawn towards the church, I headed up the hill, up rocks and onto a ledge from where I could look into the building through the dark opening seen here on the left of the window.

Comment

What I saw inside seems shocking from the point of view of our modern western societies. For no attempt whatsoever seemed to have been made to clear debris or even retrieve artefacts.

I will leave you with the rest of my images which I hope will convey what this astonishing place felt like. They are for me very special.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X