Clear All

• yvneac
    replied
    A Scottish tragedy

AND YOU FIND THAT FUNNY?

Leave a comment:

• wherrygirl
    replied
    Thijs has found a shield bug... Now who complains that he can't get near any bugs? They are good shots.
    And those spider photos are superb, I particularly admire #459.2, #462.2, and #465. Strangely, I have not yet see any signs of these spiders in my garden. I always think of them now as the Thijs spider, ever since you posted some a year or two ago. I've just been trying to ID them, and it may be one of the vast number of Golden Orb spiders, but the illustrations I've found vary tremendously and I'm not really sure.
    However, the facts on a Golden Orb spider's silk are fascinating. Garments have been made from it, taking many spiders to produce the silk and years for humans to make. Its strength and elasticity are something that scientists want to reproduce artificially and one example of their work is to inject the gene coding for the silk proteins into a host and use the silk produced. They instance using a goat, where the silk proteins were extracted from the milk, and they also mention using the E.coli bacteria but don't go on to explain how they then acquire the material!

Fascinating fact(!): a single thread from the web of a Golden Orb spider, although 30 times thinner than a human hair, can stop a fly in mid-air. Scaled up, that means a thread the diameter of a pencil could halt a Boeing 747. Good stuff, eh?

See http://www.greenes.org.uk/2012/02/spider-silk/

It's in English, of course, Thijs, but Google will translate in a block so that you can get the main idea. And think of that the next time your bike gets trapped by a spider web.

Leave a comment:

• janihudi
    replied

Leave a comment:

• janihudi
    replied

you had walk ''IT'' on your hand Ivy,i have one too,but no way i let ''IT'' walk on my hand,imagine that ''IT'' bites and i got al those gallons of poison in me.

Leave a comment:

• janihudi
    replied

Leave a comment:

• janihudi
    replied
    when he jumps out,the garden,you jump skyhigh.

Leave a comment:

• janihudi
    replied

Leave a comment:

• janihudi
    replied

Leave a comment:

• janihudi
    replied

Leave a comment:

• janihudi
    replied
    since some weeks it's ''spiders paradise'' in my garden.

don't like those creatures,specially in the morning riding on my bike in the urly morning.
    but when they are making there web,i can look at them,how fast they making there webs.
    and after al that labour i can't destroy it,so i just hope that i do remember that they made a web in my path.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Re: Photo Assignment : Animals

Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
    I had an afternoon out with a Leopard today, strange things I do.

Yep! I really was this close. Just a half inch toughened plate glass between him and me for lunch. Hugely humbling.

All my 23 thumbs up!

I love this animal - and it's close relatives. So much power and grace! And these images are brilliant.

Leave a comment:

• janihudi
    replied

here kittycat.
    they are so gracefull and cute,those big kittens,pity they don't think about us the same way.

Leave a comment:

• PoloUK
    replied

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
    Great photos, Paul. This one certainly looks keen to make your acquaintance!
    In fact - he looks hungry!! Such nice big teeth he's got.

Leave a comment:

• wherrygirl
    replied

Great photos, Paul. This one certainly looks keen to make your acquaintance!

Leave a comment:

• SaintsFCFan
    replied

I had an afternoon out with a Leopard today, strange things I do.

Yep! I really was this close. Just a half inch toughened plate glass between him and me for lunch. Hugely humbling.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X