Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sigve
    replied
    You should never thrust a Canon shop-man advocating Canon or a Nikon shop-man advocating Nikon. They are paid to do so. But a Nikon man advocating Canon and who will sell you a Pentax is interesting. And yes, the Pentax is a good camera. In the old days Pentax was a professional camera on Nikon/Canon's level, one of the 3-4 professional brands. (Nikon, Canon, Minolta and Pentax).
    I think what he offers you, is much value for your money.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/page29.asp

You can read a test on this link.
    Since I have been a Nikon man and is by now a Canon man, I would myself go for your initial Canon choice.
    A Canon EOS 550 test from dpreview: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos550d/
    The Canon 550 has a higher score than the Pentax.

Bookmark dpreview and you will have uptodate reviews of every new camera coming. http://www.dpreview.com/

Good luck.
    Last edited by Sigve; November 24th, 2010, 19:06.

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied
    Now......, are you all sitting down...? E; no drinking coffee right now

Yet another chapter in Big S's selection of camera:
    Went to a professional photographer with his own shop today. He's a Nikon-man to 110%.
    I told him I'm thinking about Canon EOS 550D and Nikon D3100. There were pros and cons of course, but then he said; -"Do you really want to go professional for less amount of money??"
    Then he had a package:
    PENTAX K-x with 18-55 mm and 50-200 mm with Schneider Kreuznach optics.
    Photobag, two 2GB memory cards, those two lenses as mentioned abow and batteries for NOK 5000,-.
    Pentax is on their way up again after being run over by Canon and Nikon. As he said, Nikon is, and has been, treating their norwegian dealers badly, so even if he has been a sworn Nikon fan all his day, he will now go for Canon as his all-round brand.
    Being interested in cinema as I were before, I also understand what he was talking about when he mentioned the Schneider optics.

Anyone, but specially maybe Jan-Olav (if you got some time to spare), please look at this link and tell me what you think. (Hopefully in a neutral manner, as the pro Nikon photographer salesman managed to do).
    PENTAX K-x specs.: http://www.pentax.jp/english/news/2009/200918.html

Maybe you'll see me with a Pentax DSLR soon...

Best regards,
    The Man who can't decide
    Last edited by Sterkoder; November 24th, 2010, 15:14.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post

Hope you didn't burn yourself with that coffee, E...?
    Nope...every keyboard works better with a thin veneer of coffee sprayed over it.........

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied
    If you were in Trondheim, I'd let you hold mine...
    ..., oh..., your Canon...., camera

You know, this is something like me and mobile phones. Once a Nokia, always a Nokia!
    But look at me today, iPhone via SonyEricsson.

It all depends on which brand you start your photography.
    I want either a Canon or Nikon, but haven't started with any of them.
    That's why I post all these posts where I can't make up my mind.
    I'm down to two cameras now, and hope to go for one of them later in December.

Hope you didn't burn yourself with that coffee, E...?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by pakarang View Post
    Do I never learn NOT TO TAKE SIPS OF COFFEE WHILST READING PAKARANG COMMENTS?
    If my mind didn't live in the gutter, it would be homeless.....

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    This is a really difficult question, that other brand versus Canon...

My best advice is to follow your own heart: go to a shop, try both cameras, hold them, touch them... and find which buttons/menus work best for you.

For me, Canon is the ultimate, but that is 99,9% because that is what I have always had (20+ years).

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    Eeeeeeekkkkk!!!!!!!
    I suppose it depends on how often you’ll be chatting to pakarang about photography!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m not at all the best person to help; I just kind of get along with my Nikon D60 without much thought; I’ve ended up with just the one lens, like I did in the pre-digital 35mm days, (hence nothing from me in the camera bag thread!) and I’ve often thought I’ve never really justified the move to a DSLR from my old Panasonic Lumix FZ20. (Other than for ease of throwing distracting background out of focus when photographing penguin colonies in Antarctica –the reason for the new camera at the time! On the other hand I no longer had a movie mode which I’d had with the Lumix). I have on a couple of occasions tried out David’s Nikon D5000 (which does have a movie mode) and I appreciated live view and the swivel screen for a lying in the grass trying to photograph a dandelion against the sky photo, but again not the kind of photo I do very often!

I suppose all I’m really saying is to think about the sort of subjects and situations YOU want to photograph.

I’d better just shut up – we have lots of members doing really great things with interesting camera kit here on CVF these days, and I’ll look forward to reading their comments on your dilemma.

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied
    I'm getting crazy!!!!!!!!!
    (You guys must think I'm some kind of...., I don't know)

But the thing is, I've also discovered Nikon D3100.
    This has some of the handling buttons and ways to do things as the FujiFilm Finepix cameras.

As of today, the result in the battle Canon EOS550D vs. Nikon D3100 is 0 - 0.
    Wonder which one takes home the victory??

I just can't make up my mind. It's a lot of money....

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Originally posted by ehp View Post
    Cheaper, yes....better, NO..............
    You are just too full of sweetness today, aren't you?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Camera 1.200 US$ + First Class round-trip Air Ticket 2.500 US$

(Surely, there must be cheaper and better ways to learn how to use it).
    Cheaper, yes....better, NO..............

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Enabler! Just like a pusher selling drugs to a junkie!!!!
    No comment...

Then I can just lob a wad of cash at Pakarang, and say "go buy me the right stuff and come teach me how to use it"--
    Camera 1.200 US$ + First Class round-trip Air Ticket 2.500 US$

(Surely, there must be cheaper and better ways to learn how to use it).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    What I'm praying for is a lottery win.

Then I can just lob a wad of cash at Pakarang, and say "go buy me the right stuff and come teach me how to use it"--
    Well, that's my fantasy....and I'm sticking with it................................................

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Summing it all up: I say go for it, bonus or not!
    Enabler! Just like a pusher selling drugs to a junkie!!!!

Actually......as long as I'm dreaming....while I LOVE my camera, I HAVE thought about moving to a DSLR...one that would let me adjust for nighttime moonlight shots.... more telephoto and macro....etc etc.

So what does that make me???? Co-dependent? LOL

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    It does make sense... photography can give countless of hours of pure enjoyment, especially if you dare take the camera the extra mile and experiment with it.

I've seen a lot of talents out there, MANY MANY talents... who have dared doing all kinds of shots.

Everybody have their own photography style and it's fun when you realize what style it is.

Can't wait for the moment to see you unfold the power you have within Sterkoder!

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied
    Yes, Jan-Olav...., your tips and info makes sence, always!

Among planespotters I've noticed that a 70-300mm is very popular.

Only time will show what comes, but finally (even if I bought the FujiFilm last year) I've managed to convince Sigrun (my better half) that no matter what the reasons were for buying the Fuji, what I really need to make one step further in my interest of photography is to by a DSLR, and happily she concur.

Over the years with my own camera, and mainly after I started my membership here at CVF and all of you showed me what one can do with a camera, I'm kind of fallen in love with photography as a hobby. Is that possible...., to be in love with a hobby?
    Anyway, I enjoy it very much, and want some equipment whivh can give me more...
    Last edited by Sterkoder; November 20th, 2010, 11:36.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X