Help E (....and Sterkoder....) figure out a new camera

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I'd like to throw my advice in for the search for your new camera E. Not sure if you have bought anything yet.

Canon G9 or the new replacement G10 that is currently running at $499. Compact, and great image quality. Has decent zoom at 5X, a large 3" LCD screen, and boasts 12 Megapixel. There are a few additional lens that you can install on the camera that can give more zoom but do give the camera more bulk. But at least you have the option. While still a Point and Shoot camera, experts tell me that this is close to SLR quality without actually having one. It suited some of my needs and the lens was wide enough that i could fit the close up ships in the frame. Has RAW capabilities which doesn't compress the image quality allowing you to later tweek the image and then convert to JPEG or GIF, the result is an overall better image but I think its only noticeable on when you print large prints say in the 8 x 10 or larger format.

Nikon P90
    When you are demoing the camera in question be sure to take the Sony T-100 so as to compare. This Nikon is running at $399 and gives you an incredible 24x zoom, but is a little bulkier than the G9/10 - in part from the lens. You can almost fit that Canon in your pocket depending on what kind of pocket it is. The 90 also has 12 megapixel and a neat flip 3" screen.
    Both of these have decent stabilization that should out do the Sony due to its ability to overcome camera shake. Also, you can record half way decent video with these as well in case you find that option handy.

If you want to stick with Sony they have the DSC-H20 with 10X optical and a reasonable under $300 tag. The quality is below the previous two IMO but it is still an option for its price point and compact size. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Captain RJ; September 1st, 2009, 20:27. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• pilotdane
    replied
    Ever since my wife saw that cartoon she has been saying "green square, camera go click".

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Originally posted by ehp View Post
    me....

Funny! Very funny!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    me....

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Naaah..... not lazy at all... I have always loved having more than enough zoom....

Without it, I would have lost so many wonderful opportunities that I would have made me turn insane...

Zoom is a great thing... using it to the full, I could zoom into the corner of the eye of a real Bengal tiger in a drive-through zoo in Thailand... no way, I would have gotten so close without a zoom.

But when it comes to the choice between an inter-changeable lens SLR or a compact camera, I'm most pleased with the photographs taken with the SLR. There is no doubt in my mind that the quality of a SLR is far superior than to a compact... the weight has always been a problem, but I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Leave a comment:

• Gaelsail
    replied
    Taking photographs in the rain

Originally posted by ehp View Post
    simple. lots of zoom. Spent the evening reading up on fancier compacts. Don't think I will lug it around in my handbag all the time--I'll keep my little sony for that-- But face it, I'm not going to go messing with dials and settings, probably. I mean, I've had my Sony T-100 for 2 years and I just fiddled with the white balance TODAY, wondering what it was...

(I can hear the Norwegians snickering all the way across the pond....)
    We have had very heavy rain over the last 2 weeks, the first real bad weather all summer.

I suddenly realised there was an extra advantage of having a good zoom on my camera . I could sit in the driver's seat, open the passenger window and use the zoom on the camera to take a photograph out of the passenger window without getting wet or having any of the car in the frame. Lazy or what ?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    simple. lots of zoom. Spent the evening reading up on fancier compacts. Don't think I will lug it around in my handbag all the time--I'll keep my little sony for that-- But face it, I'm not going to go messing with dials and settings, probably. I mean, I've had my Sony T-100 for 2 years and I just fiddled with the white balance TODAY, wondering what it was...

(I can hear the Norwegians snickering all the way across the pond....)

Leave a comment:

• pilotdane
    replied
    Have you thought any more about what you want? Big, small, fancy, simple...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Cameras have to have their software UPDATED???? I am still in the stone age, it seems.....

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    AhAh, that explains everything – “going on safari” is the big reason for folk suddenly thinking about new cameras and telephoto lenses! (I was confused because I thought your next cruise was something including Straits of Gibraltar and Rome and London – but perhaps that is your next “all-the-family” cruise?)

No first hand experience to offer– Edinburgh Zoo is perhaps not quite the same challenge!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Keep the info coming--it's helping tremendously...

Seagull- my mom and I are doing the World Cruise leg from Cape Town to Mumbai...and she wants to go back to the game preserve for 2 days on safari............

I know , I know...pinch me.... gosh it's a rough life, but SOMEONE has to be her companion, and as I am her only daughter....... and as this might be my only chance to ever see Africa--and my favorite animal, cheetahs-- I want to get it right.........

Leave a comment:

• pilotdane
    replied
    I don't know if anyone follows the photography threads on Cruise Critic but a member has posted some good "how to" lessons in photography.

1: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=791007
    2: http://boards12.cruisecritic.com/sho...d.php?t=807836
    3: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=824433
    4: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=835827
    5: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=848866
    6: http://boards10.cruisecritic.com/sho...d.php?t=874451

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    Originally posted by Seagull View Post
    ...I wasn’t sure what you meant by “I need fast recovery”...)
    Ok, I now realise you probably mean what Gailsail has described as rapid shot control. I must admit that this is a feature that doesn’t really appeal to me. Yes I know I was saying recently, when admiring a series of pakarang’s photos from the Nærøysund bridge, that I’m so much slower than he is in capturing shots in the time the ship passes under a bridge. But I was thinking more about changing zoom during that time, and generally getting different shots rather than a series of near identical ones. And if I was planning on, to give a local example, a ship coming under the Forth Bridge taken from a nearby viewpoint, I usually decide on the zoom and framing and general exposure setting (auto if the light is varying) and so be poised ready to click when the ship reaches the desired position.

The delay before another shot can be taken is negligible compared with what it used to be with the very first digital cameras.

The only occasion I thought in retrospect that perhaps I should have used a rapid repeat feature was at Fram’s christening in order to try to get the champagne bottle smashing at the moment of impact, but then if I’d done this I might not have got such nice photos of the Princess!

Leave a comment:

• Gaelsail
    replied
    Originally posted by pilotdane View Post

There are baby slr's that have crazy 26x zoom ranges but you are getting bigger and loose the automatic lens cover that helps make a pocket camera so convenient. On the plus size they will give you a lot of flexibility and move you a step closer to SLC photo quality.
    I really like my Olympus 590 and although it is not the lightest or smallest camera, carrying it around is not as much of a nuisance as carrying a handbag. It will still hand round your neck and fit under your rain jacket

There are 2 issues:
    • I'm still trying to get used to some of the controls, I learn some new tricks and then go back to the manual for the 'next lesson'
    • I'm having to restrain myself- images from the opposite bank of the river or loch don't always work (as you'll have seen on CV) and I'm also a bit too adventurous when it comes to wildlife in the distance.

There is a rapid shot control when I know I want to take a series of images but you need to know in advance to change the settings. If I see an image I want to snap on the ordinary setting, then there is a delay before the camera is ready to take the next pix.

I spoke to the Olympus rep last week about the battery life and we decided I needed to buy a more expensive charger that would discharge/recharge each battery individually rather than as a batch thus improving the time they last after each charge and total lifespan.

We also decided I should buy a remote shutter release for taking high-zoom pix without touching the camera and getting camera shake. He also suggested I didn't really need any additional lenses for the type of pix I take.

If I had the opportunity to buy a new camera now what would I do? make the same decision again

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    pilotdane, I checked out the specs , on the new Sony DSC-WX1 and found that the 5x zoom is actually 24mm-120mm equivalent, so actually is less telephoto than E's current camera.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X