Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No such thing as "deleted" on the Internet

No such thing as "deleted" on the Internet

t's always fun to write about research that you can actually try out for yourself.

Try this: Take a photo and upload it to Facebook, then after a day or so, note what the URL to the picture is (the actual photo, not the page on which the photo resides), and then delete it. Come back a month later and see if the link works. Chances are: It will.

Facebook isn't alone here. Researchers at Cambridge University (so you know this is legit, people!) have found that nearly half of the social networking sites don't immediately delete pictures when a user requests they be removed. In general, photo-centric websites like Flickr were found to be better at quickly removing deleted photos upon request.

Why do "deleted" photos stick around so long? The problem relates to the way data is stored on large websites: While your personal computer only keeps one copy of a file, large-scale services like Facebook rely on what are called content delivery networks to manage data and distribution. It's a complex system wherein data is copied to multiple intermediate devices, usually to speed up access to files when millions of people are trying to access the service simultaneously. (Yahoo! Tech is served by dozens of servers, for example.) But because changes aren't reflected across the CDN immediately, ghost copies of files tend to linger for days or weeks.

In the case of Facebook, the company says data may hang around until the URL in question is reused, which is usually "after a short period of time." Though obviously that time can vary considerably.

Of course, once a photo escapes from the walled garden of a social network like Facebook, the chances of deleting it permanently fall even further. Google's caching system is remarkably efficient at archiving copies of web content, long after it's removed from the web. Anyone who's ever used Google Image Search can likely tell you a story about clicking on a thumbnail image, only to find that the image has been deleted from the website in question -- yet the thumbnail remains on Google for months. And then there are services like the Wayback Machine, which copy entire websites for posterity, archiving data and pictures forever.

The lesson: Those drunken party photos you don't want people to see? Simply don't upload them to the web, ever, because trying to delete them after you sober up is a tough proposition.

>> http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/142366
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Hummm, now I wonder where to look for Jan-Olav's drunken party photos......

Comment

With that in mind, it makes you wonder what is stored out there in cyberspace.
      I wouldn't dream of putting up any of my drunken photos, not a good thing.
      But there is such a thing as the End Of The Internet, I've found it here.

End Of The Internet
      Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post

End Of The Internet
        Brilliant!......
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Hilarious!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
            Hilarious!!!!!
            Elizabeth, how long have you been a Chief Officer?, did that just happen a couple of posts back? (1000) If so, Congratulations!
            Now does this mean we all have to stand up when you log in?
            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Steve, you are too sweet!!

By all means, please stay seated....I don't go in for all that ceremony...

and I'm perfectly okay with fraternization.........

Comment

Doesn't my eagle look......all together......PRETTY...though.......

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post

End Of The Internet
                  Brilliant... I must use that one as the last page on my homepage as well!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                    Elizabeth, how long have you been a Chief Officer?, did that just happen a couple of posts back? (1000) If so, Congratulations!
                    Now does this mean we all have to stand up when you log in?
                    Steve, don’t tell me you missed my ehp countdown!!!!:
                    http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...0&postcount=16

If there were admiration-rankings in a hypothetical ehp “fan club”, I would be right up there. It never ceases to amaze me how someone can consistently produce appropriate or witty responses, and even make a one word post (plus maybe a few smileys and exclamation marks!) sound so good (see #5, or even your own #4 above!). But it is way beyond the capabilities of a wooden seagull. This also explains why I have not embraced the mobile phone. (I’ve only actually had one for a year, and it spends most of its time switched off at the back of a drawer somewhere, so that I can’t even find it when it might actually be of some use like meeting up with someone in a busy place.) I see adverts for phone deals where they entice you with enough “extra” free text messages that would last me dozens of lifetimes! (umm, how do I send a text on my Nokia-whatever-it-is???)

So I realise to my shame that there have been very many wonderful posts on CV where I have not managed to say thank you adequately or indeed at all, just because I couldn’t find the right words or they seemed too –well, wooden. Perhaps, even though massively OT, this is an appropriate moment to say a communal “thank you everyone”, and also “sorry” for the, ... not days, but weeks and even months when I have kept you waiting as I struggle to write parts 2, 3 . . . of some ship tour or voyage report.

Seagulls can however be a bit mischievous sometimes, and this one was determined to ensure that ehp’s landmark posting would be, what shall I say, “substantial”???
                    Ehp can do substantial too! I just needed to get the timing right, and the right “bait”, but I just knew it was going to work the moment I followed ehp’s link to her blog with photos of the Xi‘an terracotta warriors.
                    Here’s a link to the bait #85, and that terrific 1000th post, #86
                    http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...3&postcount=85

And my ranking in a pakarang fan club???? – WOW, no one stands a chance of outranking me, but as usual the trouble is . . . I can’t find the word for it. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                      Steve, don’t tell me you missed my ehp countdown!!!!:
                      http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...0&postcount=16
                      Firstly....: I did miss that. And to be very honest, the second i posted the message about ehp's promotion it suddenly dawned on me that maybe i was wrong - I had no idea how many posts it takes to become a Chief Officer, and for a moment panic set in, what if it was 500 posts? How ridiculous would my post have sounded if ehp had already been a Chief officer for the last 3 months! So with rapidly growing doubts in my mind i rushed of the the FAQ section to try and find an answer that would ease my state of panic! Not finding the answer i sought there, i set about the members list, and thankfully i soon realised that there were members between 500 and 1000 posts that were First Officers. PHEW! I was not going mad after all, ehp had indeed just been promoted, and i was saved from having to quickly hit the 'edit' button on my post!

But seriously, i agree with you totally about there being so many wonderful posts on CV that i often feel i should have made some reply to. Just so many witty and comical posts that make me smile. And then we have the members that constantly provide us with wonderful photos and information on a wide range of vessels and subjects (you of course are very much included). The truth is i very much appreciate every members contributions to our great forum. Because without the very wide ranging diversity of all of our posts, CV would not be the fantastic place it is today. So a BIG thank you to everyone.

And it goes without saying, without all of the hard work of Captain Storli, then none of this would have been possible! Now really, the internet without CV??, nooooo, i do not think so!

Comment

Wooden, Seagull- you??? NEVER. Just remember this post, if you think that. Most charming and funny story in a very long time.

As far as the Chief officer thing-it is 1000 and the reason I got there so fast is that I have no life.....other than stalking Jan-Olav. I could make a joke about him having multiple personalities, and I am just one of them, but it might not be too far off the mark--I think we may have been the same person in a previous life....

Seriously, I have been at "home" working on the computer alot this year, writing and stuff...so you all are a welcome break when I need to stop,or think, have writer's block, or can't get focused...I'm a GREAT procrastinator...

Thankfully, when I see Seagull in July, you will find out I am a real human being. And she will get to meet the whole family- all 25 of us...that is, if she doesn't run for the hills as soon as she spies us (which might be the best alternative...) Crystal "makes" us take our travel agent and her husband along just to keep us all in line and behaving!!!!!

And wow, imagine that--I've dragged us all off topic again!!

and Cecilia--never feel bad about taking a while to post things--you notice that it has been nearly 2 months since my trip and I haven't even gotten aboard the ship!!! Still stuck on day 3.

I, too, thank everyone for the wide range of subjects here. I never would have learned so much about ships-or become so excited about the Norwegian cruise-or been able to call each and every one of you friends--no, FAMILY--my CV family-- my siblings!!-- if you had not posted all bits of your days and shared them here with us!!

Oh, yeah-- I guess I should thank that alter-ego of mine... Captain--what's his name???

Comment

Just realised I’ve missed a trick here – should have slipped in a few extra posts first so that I could have congratulated ehp with my own post number 500 !!!!
                          Wooden, Seagull- you??? NEVER...
                          But my avatar is wooden and I think she really suits me! Stands around on her wooden pole quietly observing everything. And then suddenly bursts into feathers and swoops around magnificently for a while . . .

... the reason I got there so fast is that I have no life.....other than stalking Jan-Olav...
                          Naturally such a seagull would be a slower stalker . . .

...I could make a joke about him having multiple personalities, and I am just one of them...
                          And I happen to be one of the others

...when I see Seagull in July...
                          Copenhagen, here we come – I hope that little mermaid realises what’s about to hit her!!!

And finally, ... if you clicked on that link ehp gave, you got the start of a story about two bears –you’ll need to check out the subsequent posts to find out what happens (yes, I actually did finish it!!!!!).
                          Uum, maybe the NewYear Story should become a CV-family-tradition . . .
                          Last edited by Seagull; May 30th, 2009, 17:25. Reason: I had said the story was on old-forum, but it's actually here!

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                            Brilliant... I must use that one as the last page on my homepage as well!
                            Couldn't help but doing this:

http://www.captainsvoyage.com/captai...e/The_End.html

Comment

Brilliant, just brilliant. I love that....teehee!!
                              Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

Working...
                              X