Lincolnshire Yeller Belly County

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lincolnshire Yeller Belly County

I thought about where I'm from and what we are in our largely unknown county, I found that most people even in England know very little about our proud county.
    So to kick things off in my counties tongue we say Nairn to say hello.

As I find bits and bobs, I'll add them to build a picture of what we are and who we are.
    Basically a bit of fun, and maybe a window to my world for you.

If you have a question, ask away and I shall be your guide!

Be merciful! We are a bit strange, but proud of it!
    Here is Farmer Wink, a traditional Yeller Belly. He kinda says it like we are.

Last edited by SaintsFCFan; August 27th, 2010, 21:02.
    Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

This is my home town's famous Marshalls Britannia Works, where Marshalls tractors were made until it's demise in 1982.

Comment

A look across Lincolnshire and a bit of narration for you.

Comment

More from Farmer Wink.

Comment

Must to bed now, but I know what I'm going to start with on CV first thing tomorrow. Can't wait... yes, I must. To bed, Ivy.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

And here Ivy, is a sneaky video thrown in that I took coming from near the town center to almost home for me. I'll put up a video of our town market center when I get it edited.

Comment

A rather quirky video of our towns center piece the medieval Old Hall, where King Henry VIII, King Richard & Catherine Parr stayed for a period of time.
              Only a young girl narrating it, but you get the idea.

Comment

Lincolnshire Wolds railway, by unmistakable steam!!

Comment

Paul, I've just watched the first two - more later today - and well, I was about to say they are priceless but that word is used too lightly today to fit here. I will say they are without price. By the way, I loved the old steam roller in the second one, it seems identical to the one that used to roar and rumble past our house in Plumstead, London when I was tiny and I didn't love that one, it really terrified me. Granddad used sometimes to take me up the steep hill to the Common and sometimes we would go another way past the yard where IT lived. I can remember looking at it squatting far down at the back of the yard and feeling really alarmed, sure it was out to get me.
                  But these videos are a very valuable record and I thank you so much for this thread, well worth watching.
                  Ivy

Comment

Enjoy yourself Ivy! This is just the beginning of I hope a fun and trip around my world, some will be in video and some in photographs. Either way, the journey goes on...

Comment

Here is East Ferry, called that simply as there was a ferry that ran between the two banks about 80 years ago.

This is Burton Road top, over looking the Trent Valley. The sun was going down after a quite nice day, and I was on my way home from LIncolnshires capitol of Lincoln.

This is the A1500 or Tillbridge Lane. An ancient Roam road, it is mainly straight except for where it descends on this steep hill.
                      One of the strange sights you'll see on here is the Tillbridge Man, or as he is sometimes know as the Walking Man. He's a bit of an enigma to everyone, it's the general consensus that he is a monk which makes a little sense as he doesn't wear shoes and walks with a shepherds crook. He can be seen walking up and down here everyday, some have even seen him as far as 25 miles out of where he is living. Even the people of the village don't know much about him.
                      I've seen the fellow many times walking past me while out in the car, I'll try and find a photo of him.... or I'll just have to take one myself!!

Comment

Okay, not great photos. But they do show the lonesome fellow in question.

Tillbridge Man / Walking Man

Comment

Here are the twin chapels of North Somercotes, while they are beautiful looking buildings I've still yet to find anything that remotely looks like them or served as they did. Quite strange eh'!

Comment

Sorry to hear about your grandfather, Paul. I hope it is something that will soon be sorted out.
                            I never knew about the ironstone in Lincs., that shows how ignorant I am of a county so near where I have lived for ages. I've seen gravestones like those in the video and often wondered what the stone was. At last I know! I have been to Lincoln twice but only stopping for a few hours each time. I used to arrange trips and 5-day Spring breaks for the Bun*** Society until a few years ago, and twice when we were going up north I organised a lunch break there. By taking a packed lunch to eat in the coach many of us were able to devote a couple of hours to exploring the city. The cathedral was a must. And I learnt on the first visit that Lincoln has one of the 3 Magna Cartas. I was amazed when I learnt that. Later on in my patch thread I intend to post a little resin cast of a mediaeval gargoyle which was once on the old organ. It hangs in the garden until frosty weather arrives - I don't know how frost affects resin and I'm not going to chance it. I also looked in the large mirror to see the Lincolnshire Imp. You'd never see it unless it was pointed out, would you, and without the mirror you have to search the pillars minutely to find it. By that time you have a bad crick in the neck!
                            I had intended to go up to Lincoln for a few days this summer so that I could explore properly. I'll save it for Spring, now.
                            You know, this thread ought really to be on the Pilot Guide forum instead of tucked away in this corner. The videos and your photos build an excellent overall picture of one county of this country of ours. Why not get Jan-Olav to move it over when he has time?
                            Last edited by wherrygirl; October 25th, 2010, 11:18.
                            Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
                              Here is East Ferry, called that simply as there was a ferry that ran between the two banks about 80 years ago.
                              Awesome atmosphere in this image: almost bordering to spooky.
                              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                              X