No announcement yet.

This is Germany - Vacation on a farm in Hohenlohe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm amazed at the history of the area. I can almost close my eyes and imagine how it was some hundred years ago... love places such as these.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

There were also some jobs to be done on the farm, too.
      From time to time the young cows have to move into the next box or stable, when they are grown up far enough. On "our" farm this is quite complicated, because the young cows boxes are spread over several buildings, as ever anywhere is space for three or four of them.

So each helpful hand is appreciated and also the big machines are used.

The tractor is pulling a moving yard and the cows should follow the tractor on it's way to the next stable.

Not all cows have enough discipline to follow the movement, so it is better to join the transport shouting, yelling and using a stick, when a cow is turning into the wrong direction. The cow will at least break a leg when she comes under the moving yard. So also the driver has to be very careful.

Next step is to convince the cows, that their new stable is a place to be. That is not always that easy. In this case it took more than an hour and at the end we had more to carry than to push the cows into their box. We needed four adult persons for one young cow...

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
        I'm amazed at the history of the area. I can almost close my eyes and imagine how it was some hundred years ago... love places such as these.
        I agree, i never realised that Germany was so rich in history. And Ralf's images really show that so much of it survives to this day. It's good to see that so much trouble's been taken to make sure modern buildings like the car park fit in perfectly with the surroundings. And it's very nice to see such wonderful places that are not on the main tourists trail. When i go on holiday in this country i tend to stay well away from the main tourist traps, and if i do go to them i will go just out of season when the places are much quieter.

Keep the reports coming Ralf!
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

This is the right way. Since we Germans love to spend our vacacion more and more in our country, even less known areas are creating more and more offers for tourists. And these can be very attractive, because when the place is not so well known, the program has to be inventive.

I hope you ask for some advice, when you are definitively planning a trip! I will be very honoured if you will request any information.

Comment

Ralf, in reality I suppose I have been sitting here at my desk, but in my mind I have been having the most enthralling and energetic holiday on a German farm and visiting the most beautiful old towns in the area. I have seen the market with the toolmaker, I watched bread being baked, listened to the music on old instruments, seen the swallows in the barn and you milking the cow. Then I went on the tree climbing, treading gingerly at each step, walked around town walls feeling much safer ...... in other words I have been right through this thread from the beginning, something I have promised myself to do as a special treat when I had time, because having previously dipped into the latest pages I wanted to see it all. This afternoon I made time. All I can say is that it is a wonderful record of what you did and saw, and I thank you for every photo.
            I just hope you go again in 2011??
            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

..we haven't booked yet, but since our farmers are building a brand new cow stable during the winter, we have a severe interest to visit them again next summer.

But we have first to sort out our different plans for next year, sailing, houseboating, hurtigruting, farming, a lot more options and wishes than time and money...

Let's see what the family parliament decides during the next weeks... .

Comment

Working...
              X