No announcement yet.

This is Singapore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Singapore River has been cleaned up and is now part of a very large fresh water reservoir, which includes, Marina Bay, Kallang and Geylang Rivers, with the entire down town and central area functioning as catchment area.

It is not exactly blue, yet:

But than again, neither is the "Blue Doneau".

Coleman Bridge:

Elgin Bridge:

That is it from our wanderings during CNY, but more pictures and info from Singapore will follow, I.A.

PS> I have been told that this has become one of the best and most informative websites on Singapore found on the internet. If so, it has been worth the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
      PS> I have been told that this has become one of the best and most informative websites on Singapore found on the internet. If so, it has been worth the effort.
      That's really nice to hear ombugge - Congratulations! Well it made me feel proud that I'd made just a small contribution some years back, so I can just imagine how pleased you must be.

(I'll be back to look at the latest additions later - just catching up elsewhere on posting some other stuff that I prepared yesterday!)

Comment

I did like this walk very much - the old quarters and houses show so much character! This is a huge difference to the modern glassy skyscapers with their uniformed looks and shops.
        Thank you so much for taking us with you to discover some secret corners. It was wonderful!
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Beautiful Singapore, Sir!

Please do show more images of more "colonial styled buildings" - those are indeed my favorite buildings anywhere in the world!
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I'm picking up from round about post #946 with the night shots around Marina Bay, pausing to look across to the Fullerton before catching up with my friend the Merlion in #947. Having just been posting night shots of Dublin, I wondered for just an instant why I hadn't so much taken that sort of photo in Singapore - but of course the reason is very obvious for I was in Singapore for the F1 racing and it's a night race, with my grandstand seat way across the other end of the circuit!

Very spectacular view of the Marina Bay Sands hotel - that’s quite a lightshow!

Now, a walk along that old road, and of course this is exactly the sort of thing that I enjoy - somewhere with a story and a bit of nature about it nestled within the city and not known to everyone. And, no sooner having mentioned nature, there is a tree, and the subsequent photo looking upwards (#948/3) is really special, ombugge.

Fine restored building, that "Majong House", white and elegant, and picturesque in a different way to that more quirky little house in the old laundry. I liked seeing the recent photos of the Baba House, but if I had seen photos of your local coffee shop previously I had forgotten them. Seems a pleasant place.

I'm not at all averse to mix of old and new, and it's interesting to see how newer-new is replacing tower blocks of the 60's in some areas, and the differences nowadays. Then back to earlier times, for the row of typical shophouses in Neil Road caught my eye, a both pleasing and practical design.

I just paused to read the strange story of the shrine, and again to enjoy the CNY horse decorations (#954/2) - colourful and looking like a horse race in a street circuit!

Quite a photo-essay of church architecture in here, ombugge, What a good idea, with such a medley of styles, and of subsequent fortunes in later ears. I immediately related to that leg-dangling angel in #960/5! before continuing to the photos of the Fire Station and the old Police Station - both places where I have been, returning to take photos after having passed by earlier.

One thing that strikes me from amongst this compilation is just how much fascinating variation there is in what is in an oversimplified way is referred to as the "colonial style". Lots more to enjoy on further photo-walks I'm sure.

Comment

To a very different thing from old buildings and churches.
              Last night we went to a local Hawker Center and came right into a birthday party for an old friend, a half-Japanese artist who make things out of discarded materials. Some may remember the 1000 lanterns made from empty cooking oil containers shown earlier. (That got him into the local Guinness Book of Records by the way)

This years CNY decoration at the Hawker Center was of cause in the form of a horse:

Not just one, but two horses and a carriage. All made from scrap and decorated with pieces of broken mirrors

Self-made food for the hungry guests:

Free flow of Tiger Beer as well.

Some of the guests:

And the Birthday boy himself:

Even a band for entertainment:

Comment

Maybe surprising to most people, there are a number of old "black and white villas" dotted around the island, each with a large plot of land around it.
                This is remnants from the Colonial days, when the British lived in style and splendor. From 1975 to 1980 we stayed in Alexandra Park, which had been the Officer's Quarters for Westminster Regiment. It is still there, although the house we lived in has been demolished due to a sever White Ants attack.

Maybe even more surprising is that there is one such estate still in existence at the top of Orchard Road, at Nassim Hill Road. (Another on Goodwood Hill, off Stevens Road)

The building nearest to Orchard road used to house Singapore Institute of International Affairs (SIIA): http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest+...27-398219.html
                They are no longer there, but the building is still standing:

Their logo still on the entrance door:

Comment

Further up the road is another villa that has been taken over by an institution:

In this case the Japan Creative Centre of the Japanese Embassy,

But most are still used as residences:

With the Servant's Quarters attached:

Comment

One unit has suffered a fire not so long ago:

This one is vacant:

If you have to ask how much the rental cost is, you probably cannot afford it anyhow.

You can see why the are called "black & whites":

In the vicinity of the above villas is this building:

Looks like a vertical windmill being istalled, but I'm not sure.

Comment

Looking at Ombugge's pictures at #171 - #174, it may be of interest that a relative of mine (by marriage), one Eric Holtum, was Director of the Singapore Botanic Gardens from 1926 to 1949, including a difficult period under Japanese occupation.

The article says he was "ordered to continue his work" but my understanding, passed down through the family, is that he requested that he be allowed to continue his work, and the Japanese commander granted the request. I
                      f I recall correctly, his wife and daughters, to whom I am directly related, all escaped to Australia before the Japanese arrived.
                      ---------------------------
                      Harald Jarl, Honningsvag to Svolvaer, Summer 1985.
                      Deck plan geek.
                      The first 5 days after the weekend are the toughest.

Comment

• Clipper
                        Clipper commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Wow! Good old Uncle.

• Seagull
                        Seagull commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Totally fascinating to discover so many hidden gems of colonial architectural styles on your walks, Ombugge, and how very special to have learned of this connection with your uncle, Clipper, and read about his many impressive achievements.

• Clipper
                        Clipper commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The relationship is actually more complex than I indicated. "Uncle" Eric was married to my mother's Auntie Ursula, who, as far as I know, was actually a second cousin or something like that, not even a real aunt. Anyway, the long-and-the-short of it is that Uncle Eric is so remote a relative that his green-finger genes didn't stand a chance of coming down my branch of the family. For me, everything dies, except Achimenes, a close relative of African Violets and one of the coolest house plants in the world. Is there a House Plants thread somewhere on CV?

Can you please shear a bit of the rain up there in England??
                      In Singapore we have hardly had a drop of rain for over a month, which is unusual for a place in the middle of the trade wind belt.
                      Usually we will have at least some sharp showers in the afternoons, but even those have been few and far between.
                      The NE Monsoon is still strong and the Monsoon front is well south of us. Once it passes over us on the way north we will get a wet period though.

Here is what it looks like now:

The grass is brown and some bushes is stating to die. Even some large tree is protecting themselves by shedding the leafs.

The bougainvillea on the side of the pedestrian bridge we frequently use is dead, or at least appears to be dying:

Attempts to water the public area by the Parks and Gardens Authorities is feable at best, especially outside the parks and more important green spots.

Comment

• ombugge
                        ombugge commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You can see it in the pictures from Nassim Hill yesterday as well. Where there have been watering going on the grass is still green, otherwise brown.
                        Anybody know a good rain dance???

Yesterday we walked in another area of Singapore that seldom see tourists, but is popular place to live for expats, Mt. Sophia.
                      ​It is not much of a mountain, more a little hill, but with a steep side towards Orchard Road. Before it was possible to enter some of the building, like the old Cathay Building and Plaza Singapura, at a high level floor and take the elevator down. That option is no longer there as the hillside is now nearly covered by condominiums with no access for "outsiders".
                      A public step is still there though.

At the beginning of Mt. Sophia Road is this nice old colonial style building:

No comments on this one:

This old villa is now a kindergarten:

The fire escape steps is a late addition to satisfy fire rules.

Well shaded villa, typical of early colonial style:

Comment

• Clipper
                        Clipper commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Loving the old colonial architecture. I wanted to be an architect, until I discovered it took 6 years to qualify!

The Singapore Army have been busy the last few days.
                      Here they are at Jurong Island:

And at Marina South:

Maybe they are looking for an Indonesian Warship that has been banned from entering Singapore waters??

Comment

In Singapore there are a lot of rules, one of which is that there have to be trees planted, even in industrial areas, like Penjuru Lane here:

Shipyards and Logistics Companies populate this area along West Coast from Pandan River to Jurong Port and beyond to Tuas.

Comment

We have had the longest dry spell on records in Singapore. In fact it is still on and may last for another week or two.
                          February was the driest month on record, since records begun in 1869. Only 1 mm. of rain fell on average at all measuring stations, against normally 161 mm.
                          No water rationing imposed, since Singapore recycle much of the water used and also have desalination plants to produce fresh water from seawater.

It was also the windiest and warmest February for a long time. February is the dry part of the NE Monsoon, but we would normally still have some afternoon showers, most days.

As you can see in the pictures above, the grass has turned brown and some trees and bushes are shredding their leaves to protect themselves, just like in autumn in cold places.

To my surprise I noticed a tree in the neighbour's garden that had been bare, suddenly was in full bloom:

A closer look:

Maybe they had watered the plants and this one thought it was "spring"??

Comment

Working...
                          X