This is Singapore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Singapore

Last year I posted pictures of a new Condominium in the neighbourhood being "undressed".

The first pose(#713) showed the nearest building across the road as well:

In the following posts parts of that estate is shown as it was in April/May, 2012 (Posts #714-717):

The estate, previously known as Robin Court, was sold to a developer later last year and the last tenant moved out by 31. Dec.

The three blocks making up the estate has built in the 1960s and has now been demolished to make way for a new Condominium, with smaller flats, but still only 5 stories tall. (So I hope)

I find it quite fascinating to see this process up close and I have therefore taken, if not daily then at least fairly regularly, pictures and some video of the process, which I intend to post here in the nearest few days.

Comment

The earliest pictures are from 10. Jan., when the buildings looked much the same, but stripping out the interior fittings had begun and a perimeter "fence" of blue plastic had been strung around the estate:

Another building, not part of the estate was also slated for demolition:

This was last used as a private Kindergarten.
      Last edited by ombugge; March 10th, 2013, 13:25.

Comment

By 15. Jan. a taller "fence" was being erected, as required by Singapore Authorities to keep dust and noise down:

Comment

By 17. Jan. we could see through the top flat of nearest block and glimpse the block behind, which is the third block in this estate:

The work was still largely inside:

Comment

On the 21. Jan. the "destruction" became more visible from the outside:

But nothing seams to happen in the small building yet.

Comment

The next day, 22. Jan., some heavier equipment was brought in:

And some of the structure was demolished for easier access to remove valuable materials (Metal, wood or whatever) from the buildings.

On 23. Jan. a truck appeared to start to cater away the dumpers that had been filled with recyclable materials:

But the external still looked fairly intact:

Stripping of the small building had also commenced:

Comment

Not much noticeable difference the next few days.
                By 28. Jan. it looked like this:

Some pumps had been brought in, but no sign of the emptying the Swimming Pool:

What was going on in the block behind I don't know.
                Last edited by ombugge; March 10th, 2013, 13:29.

Comment

Stripping of the roof structure commenced first on the wing obscured by trees. On the 02. Febr. they went to work on the building we could see:

Metal cladding was unceremoniously thrown down:

As was roof beams from the already stripped wing:
                  Last edited by ombugge; March 10th, 2013, 12:48.

Comment

By 2 PM it looked like this:

The light ceiling plates had given way to the weight of the roof stones thrown down on it:

From the noise and this 6 PM view, it appears that the block behind was already being torn down.

This big contraption appearead at quitting time:

Comment

On the 04. Febr. it was obvious that the far block was in the process of being demolished. This is the view at 09 AM:

Work on "our" roof had been halted:

On 05. Febr. work on the roof beam removal continued:

As can be seen through the "window", the block on the other side had disappeared from view.

Men at work:
                      Last edited by ombugge; March 10th, 2013, 13:01.

Comment

Demolition of the wing block had started but the view was obstructed by tree.

By 2 Pm on 05 Febr., big chunks of the building had collapsed and being "chewed" into smaller and more manageable bits:

The next morning, 06. Febr. the wing was gone.
                        This was the view at 08 AM:

As had most of the roof structure in view:

A excavator at work sorting steel re-bars from the concrete:
                        Last edited by ombugge; March 10th, 2013, 13:30.

Comment

Roof beams being lifted down:

Maybe they had a visit from a Government Safety Inspector???

Water from the swimming pool is used to keep the dust down:

That's it for today. My Barber is coming for my regular monthly haircut. (To be continued)
                          Last edited by ombugge; March 10th, 2013, 13:23.

Comment

It's a long time since I browsed this thread and am now trying to catch up. I can tell you what it is at #769, Ombugge - no dragon, it's Nessie, the Loch Ness Monster. An excellent likeness! I love the pictures of the old style buildings at #774.3 and 4 (the rhythm of those facades is beautiful) and #779, the elegant Orkla building. Incredible to think that the company has existed from the 17th century.
                            I can't say that I like the pottery or bottle sculptures although I admire the ingenuity and craftsmanship that went into creating them. The bottle one particularly is very interesting but maybe too awkward in its colouring for an already complicated shape. I'm sure a real dragon would have taken more care over his scales, having either a completely random effect with no lines or blocks evident, or else some carefully considered design!
                            And finally, (so far), it's an excellent idea to show the progress of demolition and rebuilding as you are doing at the moment. I'm enjoying watching it.
                            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I ow you an apology for that Orkla prank.
                              This is actually a Norwegian Mining, Paper and Media company who also have interests in S.E Asia and China.
                              I don't know when they came to Singapore, but certainly not in 1654.

Here is a bit more on their history and present operations around the world: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orkla_Group or: http://www.orkla.com/About-Orkla/His...kla-literature

I'll follow up with the demolition bit, but no promise on the rebuilding.
                              Last edited by ombugge; March 10th, 2013, 15:52. Reason: add info

Comment

Orkla - well, according to that website and their own, the company does go back to 1654, albeit in Norway, so they're entitled to stick the date on their Singapore building. It's still quite some achievement, isn't it? And they have very widespread interests, too.
                                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Working...
                                X