This is Singapore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Singapore through tough times

...O Yes, Singapore is a wonderful place and you can have almost anything (literally) that you could imagine...

But in 1986, the economic crisis had effected the ship repair industry here that there were reorganization almost everywhere in Singapore...
    Keppel Shipyard lost many contracts and had to diversify its core businesses.
    We lost to Korea as they were more aggressive to take a cut in the ship repair business.

But now i think, Singapore is into building more oil rigs?

Comment

Originally posted by Thyristor View Post
      But now I think, Singapore is into building more oil rigs?
      Yes building rigs is one of the major activities at the many shipyards here now. The biggest being Keppel O&M, with three major rig building or outfitting sites here in Singapore and a rig building yards in Brownsville, Tx.
      Two yards in the Caspian Sea area and one in Brazil is building offshore structures, or assembling rigs sections built here in Singapore.
      Keppel Verolme Shipyard in Holland is the biggest rig repair yard in Northern Europe.

On the ship building and repair sector they have yards in the Philippines and China as well as in Singapore, mostly building offshore vessels these days.

The large repair yard in Tuas, Singapore, which replaced the old yard in Telok Blangha, is still busy, but mainly with conversion of old VLCCs into FPSOs or FSOs, which is also a main stay business for Keppel O&M, both here, in Brazil and in Holland.

They have come a long way since the old yard in Telok Blangha, don't you think?

They are not alone, Sembawang Shipyard (Sembcorp) has also expanded, both in Singapore and around the world. They are also building rigs, but at the old Promet Yard and Jurong Shipyard, as well as in Brazil.

Together Keppel and Sembcorp is world leaders in rig building by a wide margin, and they both build to their own design now a days, while much of the Drilling- and Marine Equipment that goes into construction of a Drilling Rig comes from Norway.

Comment

Hmmm...looks like i've laid off what Keppel had developed all these years...
        Keppel had come a long way, but it's good to hear that it had thrived and paved the way to be one of the world's best!

I can still remember, when we used to work (repairs) on Iraqi tankers and various converted Russian "floating factories"...

Thanks ombugge for the update!

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
          As for the Enitowok, you will be happy to know that she is no more, sold to Indian brokers in 1992 or 93. Good riddance, I say.
          Owh! At last....that drill ship caught fire twice, whilst in Keppel's Telok Blangah yard...in the engine room and the at wheel house!...some experience i wouldn't forget...

Comment

Singapore's favourite pastime activity...

In Singapore, one of the favorite pastime activity would be ... shopping!

2 new shopping malls just opened here in Singapore along Orchard Road:

The Orchard Central...

View from the mall's 'exposed verandah':

The ION Orchard:

It seems ...putting 'waves' to the architectural design is the 'in-thing' nowadays...

Comment

Nothing in the world beats shopping in Singapore!

It's awesome - and the architecture is also great!
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

And at night these two new Slopping Centre are lite up with thousands of lights, (diodes, I presume) which changes colour all the time, to compete with the large video screens shown advertisements, or whatever.
                What happened to energy saving??? I wouldn't like to have their PUB bill.

Comment

Singapore Port - Shipyards

To continue from earlier posts on this subject here on this thread.
                  Besides the major shipyards, like Keppel, Jurong and Sembawang yards, there is a large number of small to medium size yards building and repairing ships, barges and offshore vessels.

All these yards are now concentrated in the western part of the island, in Jurong and Tuas area, as is most of the major shipyards.

Here is Google Earth view of the main concentrations of such yards, from East towards West: (Unfortunately the images are relatively old and doesn't reflect the present activity and development fully)

Pandan River. PPL rig building yard on the left in the pics:

Next area along is Panjuru River with Jurong Fish Port on the left (obscured by clouds):

Then comes Benoi Basin with ST Marine Yard at the mouth:

They are mainly building navy vessels, but also high end commercial vessels.
                  The vacant area on the right was Jurong Offshore Marine Base. Now used by Keppel FELS for outfitting or repairs of Drill Rigs.

And then Gul Basin with Keppel Benoi on the right and Keppel Singmarine on the left at the entrance:

The next area dominated by small yards are in Tuas. Here is South Tuas Basin:

The VLCC is moored at Keppel Shipyard and being converted to FPSO.

Next door is North Tuas Basin, with Drydocks World yard on the left (Previously Pan-United):

And finally, an over view of the area, from Benoi to Tuas (L to R):

Keppel FELS Rig Building yard is in the middle of this pics.

Here is an image of the Keppel FELS Gul Yard graving dock, used for both building and repairs of Drilling Rigs and other floating structures:

Note the blocks set out to receive a Jack-up Rig into the dock (Or one just left?)

Comment

Singapore Port - Other Vessels

Singapore Port isn't only about large modern Container Ships, Tankers and the odd Cruise Ship. Here is a few images of other vessels that can be seen in Singapore.

Tuna Long Liners at Jurong Fishery port a few days ago:

Indonesian wooden vessels loading at at Jurong Port:

Another one under way:

Wooden Tugboat, known as an "ST Tug":

Widely used for towing barges and assisting in berthing at private yards, like those seen in the last post. Usually fitted with 350 Bhp refurbished Bedford truck diesel engine.

Wooden Bunker Boat on her way to supply Fuel to some small vessel:

Offshore Tug/Utility vessels and Crew Boats waiting for work in Panjuru last week:

Water Taxis waiting at the new Marina South Pier:

Harbour Cruises being offered in a "replica" of an Imperial Junk:

And a stationary replica of a "River Boat" from New Orleans:

Why I don't know. Doesn't have much to do with Singapore. It started out as an A&W Hamburger Joint I believe. What they offer now I don't know, and don't particularly care.

Comment

A busy port full of exotic vessels quite unfamiliar for the territories where I now live!

Would love to have an Imperial junk up here though as a dinner cruiser, out of Trondheim...

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Barges carrying Explosives..

...some time ago, i had seen large barges (with security personnel) moored somewhere near the western anchorage....it had explosives (TNT) stored on them, i was told...

Ombugge, have you seen them?

Comment

Originally posted by Thyristor View Post
                          ...some time ago, i had seen large barges (with security personnel) moored somewhere near the western anchorage....it had explosives (TNT) stored on them, i was told...

Ombugge, have you seen them?
                          No I have not. I would be surprised if if MPA would allow barges loaded with explosives to anchor at Western Anchorage. There is a special Explosives Anchorage off Pulau Sudong for such purposes.

There are a number of barges working at Western Anchorage, and have been for quite some time, but I don't know what they are constructing. I have not seen or heard anything official anyhow.

Here is a pics. showing some of the barges working there in April / May this year:

They are working on a line from Pasir Panjang (near the old Power Station) towards Pulau Bukom, but only half way there.

Here is a Semi-submersible Barge, which is used to transport large concrete sections from a building site at Pasir Panjang to the Anchorage and launch them into the water:

One section is held between the hulls here. Several other sections were seen nearly submerged and anchored in the vicinity.

At first I thought they were building a submerged tunnel to P.Bukom, but the sections doesn't look right for that.
                          I am VERY curious. I have asked quite a few that should know, but not got an answer yet.confused:

Have you seen or heard anything about this project???

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                            ......it was called Regalis Court. I'll have to see if I can find any images of the place. I remember it was an old building with dark wood on the floor and very personal.
                            Found it, a picture of this wonderful small hotel and hide away in Singapore. As mentioned, it used to be called Regalis Court and according to ombugge, it's now called "The Sha Villa".

Comment

Another landmark water fountain in Singapore:

Comment

Finally, the before-mentioned world famous Raffles Hotel in Singapore:

Comment

Working...
                                X