No announcement yet.

This is Singapore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raffles Singapore is such a top notch hotel: world famous and renowned for it's high standard. Seeing the architectural side of the hotel, it's an amazing looking building as well!

Never heard of the Adelphi... so today, I learned something new!
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

In March 2008, I did my part to promote the tourist industry....

Comment

Raffles Courtyard....

and Terrace

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
          In March 2008, I did my part to promote the tourist industry....
          That is the real thing, with peanut shells liberally spread on the table and floor. It is said that when Mr. Ng made his concoction the last few years of his working life he didn't have to shake the shaker, just hold on to it.
          Now I think they may use something like a Cement Mixer, looking at the number of Gin Slings going over the counter every day.

You may have noted the special ceiling fans in the Longbar with the large slow moving "paddles"?? They where originally operated by Coolies pulling a string from the outside. (Now electric and only for nostalgia)

The story about the last Tiger in Singapore being shot under the Pool Table in the Longbar is a myth, but is still being told. Actually the last wild tiger was shot at a rubber plantation in Chao Chu Kang, near Upper Bukit Timah Road. (In 1932, I think)

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
            You may have noted the special ceiling fans in the Longbar with the large slow moving "paddles"?? They where originally operated by Coolies pulling a string from the outside. (Now electric and only for nostalgia)

The story about the last Tiger in Singapore being shot under the Pool Table in the Longbar is a myth, but is still being told. Actually the last wild tiger was shot at a rubber plantation in Chao Chu Kang, near Upper Bukit Timah Road. (In 1932, I think)
            Thanks for these two anecdotes of history! Great learning such things, and right now, I wish I had the ingredients to make a real original Singapore Sling (or as you say Gin Sling).

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

In these F1 days "everybody" gets to seen Singapore at night, or at least a part of it, mostly the barriers and light gantries erected for the race.
              Before all that was in place I took some pics of the area, mostly from the top of Swissotel "The Stamford", 72nd. Floor.

I though some of the CV members would like to see what it looks like in "normal times and daylight. I didn't really think of the upcoming F1 when taking these pics so I don't have full coverage of the track, but hope this is of some help when watching the final tonight.

First, here is a view of The Stamford, part of Raffles City:

Next an overview of the area where the "action" is:

The Start/Finish line, Garages and VIP Viewing Gallery is behind the Singapore Flyer and the first strait is the main road at the middle of the pics.

The second strait leg is passed the old Supreme Court building, with the Padang on the opposite side. The difficult small turns are behind Singapore Cricket Club:

Here is the same stretch from ground level:

Then comes Anderson Bridge and the sharp turn towards the Esplanade Bridge:

This is were they really get going. Esplanade Bridge:

The distinctive Esplanade Theater in the background. (Better known as "the Durian")

Then they make a turn to pass in front of -and under - the Grand Stand at Marina Bay:

At the time I took these pics rehearsals were in progress for the National Day Show, which is now permanently held at this venue, incl. the floating stage in the foreground.

Before returning to the Start/Finish area, is just visible on the left of this pics:

Comment

Just as an after thought; here is the same area as it was in the 1960s:

The Padang:

The Esplanade:

Also known as Queen Elizabeth Walk.

Beach Road area:

Britannia Club in foreground w/ Raffles Hotel on the left.

Marine South, where the F1 "Paddock" is didn't exist until much later. Here is what a Road Map of the area looked like then:

Comment

Fascinating indeed. Great images and the overhead view puts a whole new perspective onto Singapore! Large and small buildings side by side.

Comment

Wonderful...and thanks so much Ombugge. I watched the race and loved it so much more as I sort of knew where everything was!! (Well, not really, but if you're the only one in the room that's been to a city, you can claim it as your "own" LOL)...I would love3 to go back and explore Singapore some more............

Comment

And may I add my "thanks for the daylight F1 track tour" to what E has already said (now that I've caught up with both the recorded race viewing, as well as the latest in this favourite thread!).
                      I rather fancy coming to the Singapore race one year, but I invariably go on the F1 holidays with David and he found the climate in KL a bit too challenging (the Malaysian race was an add-on the the previous week in Australia at relatively small extra expense, so I'd talked him into it). But never say never ...

Comment

Following notification was received by a fellow reader:

Hey...i admire those photos of Singapore posted here during the 70's ... It brought back fond memories...Thank you!

However, just to make some corrections...

Fitzpatricks Supermarket on Orchard Road was between Tong Building and the Promenade Orchard.

Promenade Orchard was demolished during mid 90's and then came the Paragon.

I used to work at Lucky Plaza in 1979 before the NS enlistment...and i would visit Fitzpatricks to get some groceries before heading home...

Anyway, very nice pictures...
                        On behalf of our friendly family: thank you very much for the information.

Comment

To continue the thread about Singapore Port.
                          Singapore Cruise Centre as seen from the Sentosa Cable Car:

Keppel Shipyard in Telok Blangha, 1970:

Santosa and Western Anchorage in the background

The Main dry dock at Keppel Shipyard, 1975:

The ship in dock is one of the Barber Line ships, probably belonging to Fernley & Eger, Oslo

Smaller dry dock at Keppel Shipyard 1970:

The tanker in the nearest dock belonged to Onassis' American subsidiary.
                          Hi! I'm new here and what attracted me are these lovely photos of ships, dry-docks and Singapore...collectively...

I was an assistant engineer in the electrical workshop in Keppel Shipyard's Telok Blangah Yard between 1982-1986...and feel so good reminiscing the time i spent there looking at these nice pictures.

Keppel Shipyard was a leading ship-repair company during those years and there can be about 14 to 16 vessels (large and small) at any one time that would clogged the yard here, undergoing some repairs or a major conversion.

There were 4 dry docks then, the King's Dock, Queen's Dock, Dock No:1 and Dock No:2..

I could not forget the fateful "Eniwetok" episode....that tragic accident which took the life of 7 people...

http://ourstory.asia1.com.sg/dream/l...ne/lifh10.html
                          Last edited by Thyristor; October 26th, 2009, 04:22. Reason: minor grammar edition.

Comment

A very warm welcome on board Thyristor to these pages, and thank you for joining us.

Singapore is certainly a wonderful place and we all love to hear stories and see images from the city.

I just suddenly realized as well, I stayed a week in Singapore many years ago at a wonderful but economical place.... uhhmm... it was called Regalis Court. I'll have to see if I can find any images of the place. I remember it was an old building with dark wood on the floor and very personal.

Comment

Welcome on board Tyristor. Nice to have another "Singaporean" joining the forum. Hope you can add to this and other threads on this friendly and wide reaching forum.

As for the Enitowok, you will be happy to know that she is no more, sold to Indian brokers in 1992 or 93. Good riddance, I say.

J-O; Regalis Court is now known as The Sha Villa.

Comment

J-O; Regalis Court is now known as The Sha Villa.
                                Thanks... that explains my trouble in finding it's website now.

Comment

Working...
                                X