No announcement yet.

This is Singapore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should Dane, and bear in mind that, due to the F1 racing in Singapore, I did not even start to think about any shipspotting!
    And then there is Thailand not far away, while you’re over “that side of the planet” …
    (And back in Europe, “Norway”…”Hurtigruten”…and suchlike speaks for itself…)

Ummmm, how much holiday have you got!?!?!?!

Comment

Ice on Marina Bay??

Double posting. Removed by author.
      Last edited by ombugge; December 19th, 2010, 05:43.

Comment

Ice on Marina Bay??

It is winter and the ice has started to form on Marina Bay in Singapore:

Maybe not entirely convincing, but an attempt to get in the winter mood.

Comment

Lotus Flower

The Lotus Flower at Marina Bay Sands looks completed, at least externally:

Final touches and cleaning in progress:

I don't really know what the function of this building is, but maybe Seagull is able to tell us? (She appears to have got more knowledge of such things than me)

Comment

Here is a warning to any terrorist that may be planning to target Singapore:

Police Special Command on exercise in the downtown area during lunch hour:

Gurkhas, fully armed and ready to take on all comers.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
              The Lotus Flower at Marina Bay Sands looks completed, at least externally....
              ....I don't really know what the function of this building is, but maybe Seagull is able to tell us?....
              The lotus shaped building will be a museum, intended to cross barriers between arts, science, design and so on –largely a venue for high profile major international touring exhibitions.
              As with everything at Marina Bay Sands, the building is also intended as an attraction in itself of course –collected rainwater forming a waterfall in the atrium, that sort of thing.

Comment

Oh, wow! I was in Singapore in March of 2008 and how the skyline has changed!!! Two days wasn't enough!

Comment

What strikes me when looking through this entire thread is firstly how much Singapore has changed since my last visit, and secondly, how little I feel I have actually seen of the town and it's surroundings.
                  With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                    The lotus shaped building will be a museum, intended to cross barriers between arts, science, design and so on –largely a venue for high profile major international touring exhibitions.
                    As with everything at Marina Bay Sands, the building is also intended as an attraction in itself of course –collected rainwater forming a waterfall in the atrium, that sort of thing.
                    By coincident, just after I posted the question about the Lotus building I picked up the Sunday Times with a whole page about just what Cecilia states above.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                      It is winter and the ice has started to form on Marina Bay in Singapore:

Here are some images from the new place in Singapore:

http://www.dagbladet.no/2011/01/10/t...erie/15009005/

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

New Year at Marina Bay, Singapore

I have figured out what all those "balloons" in Marina Bay was for:

Co-ordinated lights with the fireworks and music. Spectacular I have heard.

Here is a video on You Tube for those who wants to see more of the fireworks:
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J9Si9mUKm0

Dozens other videos of Singapore fireworks display and from around the world is also found on You Tube.

PS> The Sky Park at top of Marine Bay Sands was probably packed for this event.
                        Last edited by ombugge; January 13th, 2011, 06:07.

Comment

Whoww.... AUUUUU (sound of me falling of my high chair....)

Those are spectacular cityscapes! Well thought through, well balanced and simply very stunning.

Comment

I found some more pictures from Singapore port back in them days. Some are as old as 1960s, but most are a bit later.
                            All found in Shipsnostalgia.com, Gallery. They were posted by various people, but not copyrighted, as far as I can see.

Clifford pier and Inner Roads sometime after 1975:
                            (Maybe even early 1980s, but reclaiming started here soon after.

Comment

Inner Road around 1967:

Sampans waiting near Clifford pier:

The white ship in the centre of the picture is the Training Ship Singapore

Bum Boats on Inner roads:
                              Last edited by ombugge; September 24th, 2015, 12:44.

Comment

Here is the Inner Roads during reclamation in the 1980s:

Inner Roads does not exist any more. This is what it looks like today:

The picture is taken from approx. the same direction as #586.1 above. The low red roof is Clifford Pier. (Still there)
                                Last edited by ombugge; September 24th, 2015, 12:49.

Comment

Working...
                                X