Comment

awesome images Cecilia.
      love the ride with the wheel.
      how long is it to go round?
      best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
        ....how long is it to go round?
        I just checked the times on the photos -it took half an hour.

Comment

Amazing shots from Singapore! I want to go back, NOW.
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
            Always satisfying to find something to surprise a local!!!
            It’s between the Cavenagh Bridge and the corner of the Fullerton Hotel, in front of a hedge:
            I found it:

Now we are waiting for the pictures from Little India, as promised in Post # 233.
            Last edited by ombugge; November 29th, 2010, 07:48.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
              ....I found it ....
              Congratulations for your success in the “Discover Singapore” challenge! Your prize is getting closer: photos of Little India have eventually made it to the top of the to-do List, having overtaken Lookchin Bear (as he's due some from his Aunt E).

Blame a certain FERRY for my delay ….and yes I did get a bit carried away with past Christmasses in Copenhagen too!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Little India …and other nearby neighbourhoods

With more or less a free morning to discover more of Singapore, the top of my list was now Little India. I suggested to D that we take a taxi, and so were soon at our destination.

Comment

I was immediately taking pictures – liked the clothes line extensions, and wondered what the longest length was, and how many unsecured items ever went floating away on a windier day!

Comment

D meanwhile had already been spotted by a succession of local tradesmen keen to take him to their nearby establishment where they could have a made to measure tailored suit produced in a couple of hours. Now, D is not good at fending off such unwanted attention and already looked hot and irritable. Moreover, having succumbed to carrying his bag for him… (why does he need all this stuff? He didn’t even have his race things - I of course had everything I needed for the entire day in my small bag), I struggled to find a spare finger to stretch as far as the shutter release as I attempted to snap a handicrafts shop across the road. Clearly neither photography or shop browsing were doing too well!

Comment

But in a completely different sense, these activities of photography and shopping were exactly what was on D’s mind!

The area known as Little India is bounded by a main road and old canal system which was subject to major works – I suppose another part of the developing metro system. Across the road and the road-works lies Sim Lim Square, and it was this building that D had recognised as we passed in the taxi, it having featured on the “Introduction to Singapore for tourists” video of the type they show on the flight shortly before landing.

Sim Lim is a shopping centre devoted entirely to cameras, electronics and IT stuff.

Comment

There was no point in expecting D to show any interest in anything else, so off we went.
                        He was keen to look at a particular lens he had been thinking about purchasing for some time, or rather to decide between several alternatives. I was stuck with the role of principal note-taker – which shop, which lens, which price, which special offer – and in some cases adding my own comments (cynical or sensible?) to indicate my perceptions as to the reliability of the trader and the goods on offer.

Comment

This was going to take some time! …

Comment

Floor after floor of goodies …

Comment

Comment

Eventually it seemed that D was actually going to buy something! But his intention was that he should think about his decision over lunch. So now the decision of where to have lunch was added to the decision of which lens to buy and where … and D is not good with decisions! …

We were now in a busy area of shops and markets.

Comment

Working...
                                X