• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

(Next instalment: another high viewpoint – the Singapore Flyer)

Comment

For some amazing images you display, Seagull
                The pool pictures are amazing, and it must be wonderful to be able to swim while enjoying the great view at the same time.

If I had lived in Singapore, I would be proud of the way that you view the city through your photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Asimut View Post
                  For some amazing images you display, Seagull
                  The pool pictures are amazing, and it must be wonderful to be able to swim while enjoying the great view at the same time.

If I had lived in Singapore, I would be proud of the way that you view the city through your photos.
                  I am, and by the number of views of this thread, it looks like there is a lot of others that do. There has been quite a following lately.

I noticed, especially in #381, second picture, that you can see that Singapore isn't just tall buildings. In the upper half or so of that picture the large expanse of greenery that is the Central Catchment Area is clearly visible. It is large enough for some to manage to get lost there. It is mostly secondary jungle, with quite a bit of wildlife still surviving in their natural habitat in the middle of the bustling metropolis that is modern Singapore.

In fact, even in Orchard Road there are things happening that few notice. Every evening hundred, if not thousands, of Mynas roost in the trees along Orchard Road.
                  I see many of them passing by here just before it gets dark, all heading in the same direction, towards Orchard Road.

I have no idea why they find that place so attractive, unless they like to Sh... on tourists. If I walk there after dark I try to avoid walking directly under the trees.

The other day I watched two, what looked like Hawks or Falcons, circling overhead near Centre Point. Suddenly the Mynas made more racket then normal. Then I noticed a large bird flying away with something in the claws.

Nature adopts to even the strangest things, like the flashing lights and loud noice in Orchard Road. I don't think anybody else noticed though.

Comment

Reading what Asimut and Ombugge have said made me feel really good this morning, and all the more so because “visiting for the first time and taking photos” wasn’t at all the main focus of my short stay in Singapore! Ombugge’s thread was always brilliant and I am so proud to have contributed.

Having myself a personality of contrasts, I am fascinated by what Ombugge has written about the closeness of city and nature. This hugely appeals to me. When one is combining big city skyscrapers and ultra modern developments with nearby jungle, well that is the ultimate contrast! More modestly, I loved the oases of green space and trees that I encountered on my walk with Ombugge. Edinburgh too has that kind of juxtaposition, and another city, one I love a lot, that has yet another slant on this is Stockholm, with its archipelago so close to its cityscape and suburbia.

May I apologise in advance for a slowing down of postings? I will be away from home in a week’s time, and the preparation for that has now become totally crazy.
                    But still to look forward to in “This is Singapore”:- the Flyer, Little India, and finally the one place I’d always intended to fit into the trip – Raffles Hotel!

Oh, and Asimut - I only posted one or two photos ages ago . . . but eventually I might catch up on what my photo files contain for "This is Tromso"!!!! – you have been warned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

While we wait for Seagull to get back and post her magnificent pictures from Little India and other places in Singapore yet to come, I'll prove that Singapore has advanced into the top when it comes to gender equality:

Comment

Nice one Ombugge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Well, Seagull isn't actually away until Monday...so I've just got time to post one more instalment ...

Comment

The Singapore flyer

Riding on the Flyer wheel came free, included in the Grandstand ticket for the Formula 1 Grand Prix, so of course I took advantage of that possibility!

Comment

I’d chosen a good time and there was no queuing at all. Here I’m ready to board a cabin.
                            Ah, "capsules" I think they call them!

Comment

After initially taking a seat, everyone was soon moving around taking photos.

Comment

I was just as interested in taking photos of the construction of the flyer itself as the view from it.

Comment

Working...
                                X