No announcement yet.

This is Singapore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Merlion actually has a small companion nearby, more mosaic and, to me, sphinx-like.

This concludes the river walk, but we have still to see more of Marina Bay - from a higher viewpoint!

Comment

I love the perspective in the Starbucks pic., just that single row of warm pink against the more subdued colours of the background, and similarly that of #310, where the lamposts are like the slender stalks of leaves and buds bent against the breeze.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Great pictures of great architecture, Seagull

Comment

Marina Bay Sands

The Marina Bay Sands Hotel is seen here from across the bay, but on our last morning in Singapore I decided to see it at closer quarters. To save time we took a taxi. With so much of the surroundings still more or less under construction, it was an interesting drive as the car followed trucks and builders’ lorries, the one immediately in front of us loaded with rocks. I couldn’t help wondering if this building site feel was a surprise to some guests whose sea view rooms, particularly on the lower floors, may not have been exactly what they expected!

I would have found the construction and reclamation work interesting, but had I been staying there would have been less enamoured on entering the lobby and seeing check-in/out queues that looked more like those at an airport than a hotel. And there seemed to be so many desks and categories that they might not even have been queuing at the right one!

Comment

Amid all the hustle and bustle, a couple of musicians with traditional instruments played music no doubt intended to sooth frayed nerves.

Comment

After taking in all this activity, my attention was drawn to a large model of the hotel complex.

Comment

I was not the only person who found the model appealing and was taking photos of it.

Comment

Only then –and remembering pakarang’s negative experience at a new hotel in Trondheim –did I think to myself “at least it seems it’s ok to take photographs here”. The striking architecture was indeed attractive subject matter.

Comment

I peered upwards at dizzying angles …

… and even had the urge to borrow D’s wider angle lens!

Comment

Comment

This ground level link below the three towers has the feel of a mall with boutique shops and restaurants, so that the occasional sight of a hotel porter’s trolley almost surprises.

Comment

Having included these lantern-like globes in a photo, it was only later, having decided to have lunch at this restaurant, That I found they were open at the other side to form private dining rooms with a cosier ambiance.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X