This is Singapore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Haze is back

Here is a couple of pics taken from Western Anchorage today, towards Santosa and Keppel Bay:

No, it is not my normal out of focus and blurry pictures, this is caused by the hazy conditions we have endured for the last few days due to forest clearing over on Sumatra.

It happens every year during the transition period between the SW and NE Monsoons. "Slash and Burn Farmers" are preparing for the new planting season, which will start once the rain start with the arrival of the NE Monsoon front, sometime in November. (For the more technical minded it is called the "Tropical Convergence Zone", or TCZ for short)

You can feel the smell of burning jungle, but it is not yet a problem, as the PSI index is in the Moderate range (presently around 80) and the visibility is not a hinder to air or sea traffic. Hopefully it will be washed away by rain soon, before it becomes a problem.

Comment

I am sceptical when I hear the growing emphasis on man's responsibilty for climate change. There have always been cycles, major and minor, which occur regardless of what mankind is doing, always been upheavals in the weather from time to time. But the one thing which does concern me is the wholesale destruction of forests which have evolved to become a vital element in the overall pattern of our world climates.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

That’s quite a haze Ombugge, and I can imagine what it smells like having experienced something similar due to agricultural fires in the north of Thailand last March.

So some views below, looking across Marina Bay from Merlion Park, wouldn’t be quite so good at the moment!

I think this lotus flower shaped building in the still developing Marina Bay complex may be a museum.

In the other direction, a view of the Helix Bridge and the Singapore Flyer.

Comment

This is where the photos were taken from –and this one is specially for pakarang in advance of various additions to the Starbucks thread!!!!! It’s got to be my favourite Starbucks – pleasant terrace, nice views.

It had taken a little while to get there. After crossing the Cavenagh Bridge, I wanted to see the Merlion statue, which I knew was in Merlion Park situated behind the Fullerton Hotel. However the road behind the hotel had just become the race track! –and in all the traffic chaos of road closures and diversions it was far from obvious how to reach the park. It isn’t often that I am reduced to asking for directions, even in a strange city! However there was a hotel doorman standing around, who directed me to a subway passage that led from the hotel to the far side of the road. It was interesting as well as convenient, for there were old photos of the hotel and its surroundings displayed along the walls.

Emerging from the escalator at the far side the first thing I saw was the Starbucks. And along the promenade and terraces, there indeed was the famous Merlion statue.

Perhaps because it had taken some effort to reach, I went a bit camera crazy and took rather a lot of photos! (It was once again raining heavily, and yet more photos were taken when I returned briefly the following day when the light was rather brighter.) Anyway I will post them, and hope that as well as showing the straightforward scene, there might also be some more personal views amongst them.

The first two are only different in that some reference to the Formula 1 event is included!

Comment

Comment

Comment

From near the Merlion one has this view of the bridge at Esplanade Drive which is part of the circuit –I posted a photo walking over it in the F1 thread.

Comment

The Merlion seen against the distinctive architecture of the Esplanade theatre:

Comment

Comment

The obvious view, showing the bay-side location and the buildings of the business district behind.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Looking around, I noticed that not everyone thinks to photograph (or even look closely at) the base of the statue.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X