No announcement yet.

This is Singapore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little further along, near the Asian Civilisations Museum, are groups of sculptures illustrating the early days of trading and money lending.

Comment

Round the bend in the river is the Cavenagh Bridge, a suspension bridge leading to the impressive Fullerton Hotel on the other bank.

Comment

It was built in Scotland, and shipped to Singapore where it was assembled in 1869.

Comment

Comment

Comment

I had crossed the bridge, and paused to photograph a charming sculpture group of boys jumping into the river.

Comment

Comment

You will have noticed how it has been getting progressively darker, and now came a heavy shower of rain. I was particularly delighted to see the boy’s wet back, looking as if he had indeed just emerged from the river!

Comment

Nearby is a plaque to the novelist Joseph Conrad.

Comment

Anderson Bridge, from 1910, was constructed to replace Cavenagh Bridge which could no longer cope with the increase in traffic, but the earlier bridge was retained and is used for pedestrians.

The Anderson Bridge has become a well known feature of the F1 racing street circuit, and you can see the circuit lighting on my photo. The area around the Fullerton Hotel was now rather chaotic with traffic diversions, and it took a little time to discover how to cross the road, now race track, in order to reach my next objective.

Next instalment: I finally find the Merlion!

Comment

Very good!! You have covered the area along Singapore River very well. Looking forward to the rest of your walk.

Comment

Oh, I am so enjoying this thread. It is absolutely no use trying to comment on them all, for together they are presenting a wonderful all-round picture of Singapore. I will just say, though, that in this last page that one at #287 is just beautiful in its simplicity, and I love the boys swimming. Also it is interesting to see the transaction using the abacus. Most unusual.
                          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

At first glance the pictures of the boys swimming appears to be black and white, although they are clearly not.

I have never noticed the plaque of Joseph Conrad. Where did you find that?

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                            Oh, I am so enjoying this thread. It is absolutely no use trying to comment on them all, for together they are presenting a wonderful all-round picture of Singapore. I will just say, though, that in this last page that one at #287 is just beautiful in its simplicity, and I love the boys swimming. Also it is interesting to see the transaction using the abacus. Most unusual.
                            The abacus was in fairly common use here not so long ago, and the use of it was part of the curriculum in schools.
                            But this have now been overtaken by cheap calculators, here like everywhere else.
                            Last edited by ombugge; October 20th, 2010, 04:35.

Comment

So pleased you are finding things of interest in the photos wherrygirl.

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                              ....I have never noticed the plaque of Joseph Conrad. Where did you find that?....
                              Always satisfying to find something to surprise a local!!!
                              It’s between the Cavanagh Bridge and the corner of the Fullerton Hotel, in front of a hedge:

Yes, the dark clouds and rain brought a monochrome look to things, and although I bet that in bright sunshine the shadows of the boy sculptures against the quay make a fascinating pattern, I wouldn’t have wanted, given just one visit, to swop that light for the drops of rain on the statues and the subtle tones of soft reflections on the wet granite pavements.

Comment

Subtlety in photographs always appeals to me, Cecilia.
                                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Working...
                                X