No announcement yet.

This is Singapore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The old picture in above post is from Boat Quay area.
    Here is one from Clark Quay as it looked until abt. mid-1980 or so:

Back in the 1970s, when living in the West of Singapore, I used the bridge here as a short cut to destinations in the East.
    (The bridge is still there but has been lifted and is now only for pedestrians)

Then most of the Godowns were in bad disrepair:

This is what the place looked like after the initial conservation effort in early 1990s:

Now the whole place has been covered by some large "mushrooms":

Which even change colour at night:

It is totally altered even from the original restored look. Not one of my favourit restauration projects in Singapore.

Comment

I took a pleasing “skyscape” for my photo project through those canopies, but in general I found the Clarke Quay area the most “touristy” (if I may use the word in a slightly derogatory sense!) part of the city I visited. Before I reach there in my walk, here is another instalment.

Comment

Perhaps the experience of my very short time in Singapore has assisted me in getting my head round all that our Captain somehow fitted in to his Summer Trip recently. Even so, I couldn’t resist teasing our photo-prolific pakarang just a little bit last night! But in fact what you have been seeing on this riverside walk so far was no frantic run around, but a couple of leisurely strolls –all within sight of the hotel. We are about to reach the colourful bridge I promised you; that is also close by and can be seen on the photo I posted for my Singapore contribution to the hotel room view thread.

Here is the colourful pedestrian bridge:

Comment

And here it is seen looking back, with my hotel room in that white building on the extreme right of the picture. Alkaff Bridge, as it is called, takes its name from that of an affluent Arabian family in early 20th century times after whom a nearby quay had been named.

Comment

Although Alkaff Bridge was built in 1997, I learned that it was painted only in 2004 to designs by a Filipino artist, Pacita Abad.

Comment

The girl in the straw hat that you may have noticed on the last photo was in fact one of a number of models who were posing for a photo shoot. Here you see it all happening. (Ummm, would that really serious-looking camera they have there be a Canon do you think paks???? )

Comment

The brightly painted designs extend to some of the nearby railings along the quay.
                Last edited by Seagull; October 17th, 2010, 13:10.

Comment

Comment

When I was again walking this way, some repair work was in progress.

Comment

Comment

Next :- we’ll explore a little further along Roberson Quay and continue to Clarke Quay.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                          YOU should definitely be able to understand . . . how was it you described your own summer trip? – oh yes, now I remember -“ intensive speed-sightseeing” you called it!
                          Oh, how cool is that..... my way of travelling is catching on as a new trend... (just waiting for BBC Travel Channel to call me and interview me about this new concept of travelling).
                          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Crossing the Alkaff Bridge (but only for a moment or two) I can show you the view across of The Quayside that I had passed before reaching the bridge.

Comment

Past the Alkaff Bridge and just off the quay is a post-modern style development at Robertson Walk. It makes a nice photo, but you can tell it was not a Seagull “favourite place “ because I am not imagining picking out a dream apartment there! But the neighbourhood had some convenient local facilities, including a 7-11 where a local SIM card could be obtained –the first step of establishing contact with ombugge to check if he was in town!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X