No announcement yet.

This is Singapore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am totally baffled by the number of pictures you managed to take, the details, the road names you managed to remember.
    Even the fact that, in very early days, there were nutmeg plantation in what was then at the outskirts of the original settlement, laid out by Sir Stamford Raffles along what was then the beach of Telok Ayer. (Water Bay)

Not many Singaporean even know that, and I certainly didn't mentioned it, although I knew of the fact. I presume there must have been one of those little informative plaque put up in the park on the track down from Ann Siang Road. I certainly didn't notice.

The whole walk, including two "pit stops", took something like two and a half hour, I believe? And you have managed to make a whole story out of it. Amazing!!
    I don't know what you would have made out of a full day of wandering around in Little India, or an hour on top of the new Pinnacle@Duxton, which you showed somewhere in this "report", or the Marina Bay Resort.

Let's hope that you find an excuse to return one day so we can all find out. But then set off a few days. It is not true that Singapore can be covered in two days, like some Travel Guide are stating. There is a lot more to this place, if you know where to go and what to look for.

Comment

I'm baffled by all the images as well, and the absolutely brilliant quality of them all.

This is truly Lady C work: high quality, lots of fine detail, super sharp, colorful, and large enough size to fully take in the "aroma" of the place.

What an outstanding treat you have given us: both of you, ombugge and Lady C.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Oh, Lady C--How delightful these photos are!!!!

It's just WAAAYYY too tempting! I have so much to do today and I want to sit in front of my monitor and look and look and look!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
          I'm baffled by all the images as well, and the absolutely brilliant quality of them all.

This is truly Lady C work: high quality, lots of fine detail, super sharp, colorful, and large enough size to fully take in the "aroma" of the place.

What an outstanding treat you have given us: both of you, ombugge and Lady C.
          I just walked them down familiar roads to familiar places, the rest is all CECILIA. (And a little David)

Comment

Thank you all for your lovely encouraging comments, and of course ombugge who, I can tell from his post #228, has now gained some first-hand insight into the strange seagull mind! It was a pleasure for me to read that post.
            Yes there was indeed one of those informative plaques at Ann Siang. And yes, I too get irritated by any guidebook or person who thinks that somewhere such as Singapore can be “done” in a couple of days –but then I’m the kind of person who could take much longer than that to “do”, say, Honningsvåg!

As for your dreams of photos of Little India and Marina Bay Resort, you will find you don’t have to wait too long, for, due in part to the plentiful supply and low cost of taxis, I squeezed every opportunity from the short free time available. So more soon, alternating with other catch-up of Trondheim, Kristiansand, and a bear, and all that before still more from Thailand and Greenland! – well, it’s nice to have something to look forward to isn’t it.

Oh, and yes I would llike to return to Singapore sometime.

Edit:- Ombugge, you may not have seen a taster of more Singapore photos on my Skyscape 365 pages, starting here.
            Last edited by Seagull; October 8th, 2010, 17:08. Reason: added link to more photos

Comment

Our resident Monitor Lizard

I'll just break in to Cecilia's sequence of photos from Singapore, which I very much look forward to see, to report that it appears that our resident Monitor Lizard (also known as the "wee beastie) has disappeared.
              Remember him:

I haven't seen him in his normal hunting grounds for several months, while, for at least the last 2 year I would spot him fairly regularly.

His lair is/was in the "cave" you see in the background on the picture above, which is where the drainage canal goes into a culvert.

We did have a bit of a flood here some months ago, where the normally slow flowing canal turned into a torrent and actually overflowed the banks for a short while.
              Maybe he got washed away and had to find new hunting grounds somewhere down stream?

It could also be that he has ended up in somebody's cooking pot, since there are foreign workers setting nets across the canal to catch fish and crabs. Who knows.

Comment

I have looked at Seagull's Singapore pictures many times, and still do not tire of them. They are simply superb, there is no other word for them. Thank you, Cecilia. Like you, I often like to see the obvious tourist spots when they are of special historical interest or outstanding beauty, but my special pleasure is in wandering around the back streets of a place, down alleys, round corners that get me away from the crowds of visitors. Whether it is village, small town or great city, I always want to get to know what it is really made of, get into the true feel of somewhere, try to understand it as the local people do.

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                we have one of the best Airports in the world here,
                Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                It is not true that Singapore can be covered in two days, like some Travel Guide are stating. There is a lot more to this place, if you know where to go and what to look for.
                I do not have all that much experience of international airports, but surely Ombugge is right in his comment above about Changi. I had 4 hours there on the way out to Australia and then 2 hours coming back due to my Heathrow plane being cancelled and passengers being shunted on to a later one. I loved Changi's little gardens, so varied in what they had to show. 4 hours in other airports would have had me desperate to get off the ground again, but there it was a very pleasant interlude.
                I had originally planned a 2 night stop-over in Singapore, but changed my mind because I knew that would give me no chance to explore, by the time I got myself and luggage to the hotel it would be time to prepare for the return. I decided that I would rather not go at all because, knowing me, I would be so frustrated at the meagre taste of Singapore that I would have. Wherever I am, I need wandering time, and plenty of it!
                Maybe one day......
                What I am now doing is starting from the beginning of this very interesting thread, and wandering through that.
                Last edited by wherrygirl; October 13th, 2010, 13:20.
                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Thank you so very much for your comment wherrygirl, and there will be more photos to come after I’ve finished the more motor racing related stuff.
                  Meanwhile, here’s a news item I came across today to amuse you all –I’m sure our member Lookchin will be specially interested!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11539338

Comment

The Singapore of old is presented in this old cut I found on YouTube:
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtDmXOrc-ZQ&feature=fvw
                    Many of the buildings and places seen here can also be seen in recent and early posts in this thread.

Comment

Marvellous to see the Singapore of the old days, and spot some still recognisable places too.Thanks for that link ombugge.

Also while I remember, a reminder and cross/reference to say that there are some photos of parts of Singapore around the Marina Bay street circuit used for the Formula 1 motor racing (including some views from the Flyer ferris wheel) in the 2010 Formula One Season thread in the Transportation section, starting here at post 105 ( or go back earlier to post#74 for the full coverage of the race weekend!).

Comment

A walk along the Singapore river

My first group of photos (taken on different days and from both banks of the river) covers the area from near my hotel, the Miramar on Havelock Road, downstream to Robertson Quay. In fact it can nearly all be seen on this first photo – taken from a window of the hotel while waiting for the lift!

Comment

Crossing the busy road by a pedestrian bridge, I reached these old warehouses, which you will see again later from across the river. But first I walked a short distance upstream by the hotels on the left of the first photo.

Comment

On the riverbank there is this attractive pavilion. The columns were decorated with flowers and ribbons, and I thought perhaps it is used for weddings.

Comment

Comment

Removing rubbish from the river.

A passenger river boat.

Comment

Working...
                                X