No announcement yet.

This is Singapore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't worry, Seagull will probably show pictures of frogs waiting for the pot at Chinatown Market, Singapore, very soon.
    [/QUOTE]

I'm a humanist. I wouldn't have eaten that. Maybe I won't go to Singapore after all....
    Regards; Sigve.
    ---
    IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

But I will definitely go back to Singapore some day... some day!

It's really high up on my list, especially after these phenomenal teasers...
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by Sigve View Post
        I'm a humanist. I wouldn't have eaten that. Maybe I won't go to Singapore after all....[/QUOTE]

What has "humanisme" got to do with FROGS!!! Is there any good reason to single out this reptile from all the other living things we humans kill and eat???
        (Unless you are a Hindu or Buddist, that is. They are not supposed to kill or eat any living thing)

Comment

My "humanism" is so simple as this: I wouldn't have liked having them looking at me while I was waiting for them to be prepared for my meal.
          I'm sure that if you ordered a cat dish, you wouldn't like the cat to be skinned at your table?
          Regards; Sigve.
          ---
          IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Cecilia. Thank you for all these pictures. That's just my way to get knowledge of a country. Walk and watch the daily life...
            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Now, in the last part of our walk with ombugge, we are taking an interesting route by which to reach an already familiar part of town near to an entrance to the racing circuit.
              We are still in part of Chinatown here at South Bridge Road, but such fascinating architectural contrasts in this photo. . .

. . . and in Singapore there always seems to be trees and greenery in even the most densely built up areas:

Comment

I liked this grey and white colour terrace in Erskine Road,contrasting with the orange of the tiled roofs.

Cutting down a side street we come to an area that has a more European flavour -Beaujolais Wine Bar in Singapore!

Comment

Ann Siang Road

Comment

What a great walking route through backstreets and parks. There used to be clove and nutmeg plantations in this area.

Comment

From Amoy Street we paused in Telok Ayer Green to admire this lively sculpture depicting Chinese festive processions, and then turned to see the entrance to Thian Hock Keng temple, on a street which had in times past been on the shore line, such is the extent of reclaimed land.

There is a great deal of construction work going on in the city, some of it in connection with metro lines. Here a temporary bridge road route has been provided meanwhile, though ombugge mentioned it was somewhat under used.

Comment

And so we crossed a busy street to reach the entrance to the Chinese Taoist temple called Yueh Hai Ching.

Comment

The roofs are richly ornamented, and there are are also scenes with figures reminiscent of Chinese opera.

Comment

Comment

Comment

This is the temple of ombugge's wife. It is also, appropriately for this meeting of forum members, a temple special to sailors and seafarers –the Temple of the Calm Sea.
                                Ombugge and I entered the temple and lit and made offerings of joss sticks, an unexpected, unforgettable and most moving end to this very special day, before returning to the noise and bustle of the business district and saying our goodbyes.

Comment

Working...
                                X