No announcement yet.

This is Singapore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this thread is the best i ever found about singapore ,especially those precious old pictures draws me back to the history of singapore.
    thanks to your fabulous contribution,ombugge

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
      Very impressive developments all across Singapore.... continuously being developed and re-developed.

May I ask, what is the round tower at the end of the old Customs House bing used for now?
      I haven't been up there, but it looks like it is part of the F&B outlets.
      Maybe a special VIP room or something?
      I'll try to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by eric.yu View Post
        this thread is the best i ever found about singapore ,especially those precious old pictures draws me back to the history of singapore.
        thanks to your fabulous contribution,ombugge
        Thank you Eric. It has been mostly a one-man effort so far. Maybe you can contribute with your pics and impression?

As a fairly fresh arrival here, maybe you will have a different view of things from an "oldtimer" like me. Fresh eyes, not hung up in 'this is how it used to be".

Comment

HAPPY 45th NATIONAL DAY, SINGAPORE!!

Congratulation with reaching "middle age" Singapore.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
            Congratulation with reaching "middle age" Singapore.
            Singapore reaching middle-age...
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Botanical Garden

I posted this in the "This is Tromso" thread some weeks ago:
              Very nice. This inspire me to go and take some pictures in the Botanical Garden in Singapore, which is diametrically opposite of the one in Tromso, being in the tropics. It is next door neighbour but not enough used
              Well I did go and take some photos one afternoon/early evening some time ago, but haven't had time to post it here before.

First, how to get there???
              There are many entrances to the Garden, from Bukit Timah Road, Tyersall Road, Napier Road, Cluny Road and Cluny Park Road. The gates are open and entrance is free.

If you are a tourist in Singapore there are special "hop-on" buses, which stops at the Botanical Garden Visitor Centre, Cluny Road/Rain Tree Drive:

If you prefer to get there by walking, this is a simple route;
              From Orchard MRT Station/ION Shopping Centre, walk up to the top of Orchard Road and turn left into Tanglin Road. At Tanglin Mall turn right and walk along Napier Road.

You will know you are on the right track when you see the American Embassy on the opposite side:

(OT: Better known as "Fortress America". To many a symbol of a big, rich and powerful nation. To me a sign of a big, rich, powerful and insecure nation)

A few hundred meters further you will see the Main Entrance to Botanical Garden:

Entry is free and the gate is open from 0600 - 2400 hrs. every day of the year. Once you are inside, the world changes from a bustling city to a tranquil oasis.
              There are miles of walking tracks without any cars, bicycles, in-line skaters or other "pests", only people walking leisurely (and a few joggers)

All the information you may want is posted on billboards around the gardens:

Comment

There are some small kiosks, souvenir shops, a Food Court and some Restaurants within the Gardens, but not intrusive:

This is the entrance to the Orchid Garden, which is NOT free, but well worth a visit. (Sorry, I did not go in this time)

Every tree, bush and plant within the Garden has been marked to show it's native area, latin and common English name:

Near the Main Gate I noticed this peculiar tree:

I have never noticed it before and have no idea what it is. (I didn't go close to find out either)

Comment

Within the Garden there are a number of small Lakes and Ponds:

This one with a flock of Swans:

This one well stocked with fish and turtles:

In the middle of the "Swan Lake" (not official name) there is a sculpture and a small detached island where the swans can do their own thing without being disturbed:

Here is a swan that has found a strategic place to beg for food:

A pond near a small bridge. Only problem he/she face is competition from some hungry Catfish from the adjacent pond:

These are not competing for the food though:

Comment

Water Lilies and Lotus are also represented in the lakes and ponds:

A Concert Stage is strategically placed in one of the larger lakes:

With a natural Amfi in front for people to sit on the grass and enjoy the music:

This is an older "Stage" that is still in good shape, but no longer used for music performances:

Large trees are everywhere, even in the middle of the rest area:

Other birds are commonly seen, but not captive. They have found the living easy within the Garden:

The Monkeys that used to be common in the Garden many years ago has been moved to their natural habitat in the Central Catchment Area.
                    They had become a pest and a danger, since they got used to be fed and could get aggressive if someone didn't oblige.

There are also some squirrels living in the Garden, but I did not get any pictures of them. While walking around the garden, however, I noticed a well dressed Chinese "Gentleman" in his 50s or so, throwing small pebbles into some bushes. Being curious, I stopped to see what this strange behaviour was all about. Then I saw a squirrel in the bushes. He "entertained" himself throwing stones at a harmless little creature. Needless to say, he got a piece of my mind.

A new Botanical Garden is in the process of being established in Marina South, but will not be a replacement for the present one, which will remain as one of the few things that is for free in Singapore.
                    Last edited by ombugge; September 8th, 2010, 08:40. Reason: Replace wrong pics

Comment

Checking back I realized that I mentioned Turtles, yet there were no sign of any in the picture posted.
                      To prove that they are there, even in large numbers:

This pics showing three turtles having a "Strategy Meeting" , while waiting for the next person with a big heart to buy some fish food, which is available from a dispenser at this feeding place (Tourists), or with a bag of stale bread from home (Locals).

What is the meeting about?? How to get to the food before the fish does.

Comment

So cool to see those images from Orchid Gardens....

I went there once... many years ago, and I collapsed in the park. Was taken out the back-entrance in an ambulance and taken to Singapore National Hospital because of dehydration and severe exhaustion....

Air lifted back home to Thailand later that night on a SAS flight in the patients-compartment...

Three days after arriving home in Bangkok, still in hospital, I received a (think it was a fax) note from the Orchid Gardens where they sent me their "get-well wishes" and a free entrance ticket if I returned again.
                        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

A walk through Chinatown

Well, I can remember when ombugge started this thread about Singapore, and how interesting I found it, but apart from expressing interest and thanks, I never thought I’d have anything to contribute myself! But here I am, just back from Singapore, and I might as well start with photos of the walk through Chinatown with Ombugge himself!

Ombugge had met me and D at our hotel, and it was only a short distance to one of his favourite dim sum restaurants. On the way, I paused to get out my camera to photograph a small drainage channel. Of course Ombugge knows I take photos, but I wondered, as he has often said he just “points and shoots”, if he thought I would be taking absolutely ages over each one! Actually I think I was really quick (apart from the frogs, but they come much later on . . . ).

You may have already seen the photo D took of us in the restaurant. The food then on the table was merely the first of many dishes to arrive . . . trolleys came round with many more tempting choices.

Comment

After lunch we set off on our walk.

This little shop, Chuan Radio Service, was especially appealing to David who can never bring himself to throw any old equipment away in case some components might come in useful sometime.

This shop made me think especially of pakarang.

Comment

Ombugge had an item of shopping in mind –something you can’t often get at the big stores these days – Brylcreem, the type in the red container. This shop always has it in stock, along with many other essential products. Such a friendly shopkeeper too. I look on as D takes this photo of the transaction.
                              When one thinks of being shown round a city by a local resident, it is usually places to eat and drink that come to mind, but such experiences as this shopping are equally delightful, and I do not think I will ever encounter the word “Brylcreem” without remembering this delightful moment.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X