Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest started a topic This is Juist/ Germany

This is Juist/ Germany

Back from my holidays I would like to show you all some photos from the nice island Juist, located in the Northsea. No cars, only nature and much time to enjoy the days...

Doris

Guest replied
    Island Railway

Being a railway enthusiast, i had never seen anything like the island railways...

Although i do not understand the German language, the photos explains it all....Germans are well articulated in railway technology and there is no doubt about their ability in precision engineering!!

Thank you for posting this thread....Wonderful...

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Originally posted by Doris H View Post
    ...this is the shore belt, the water way shipping channel to the "continent" and a little sunshine between many clouds...

Doris
    Really a magical image... I had to look at it for several minutes to fully understand it! Great capture!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by pakarang View Post
    Fabulous images from Juist... BUT, in this last image, is that the sea?

Looks so mysterious. A bit spooky.
    ...this is the shore belt, the water way shipping channel to the "continent" and a little sunshine between many clouds...

Doris

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied

Doris
    Fabulous images from Juist... BUT, in this last image, is that the sea?

Looks so mysterious. A bit spooky.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Doris

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Juist in November 2009

Doris

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    Seeing the 2 seagulls I only thougt of you and so they are actually just photographed for you, seagull!!!
    A big thank you Doris! It is very much appreciated.
    You know, amongst ship photos and on other threads too I am noticing quite a few seagulls appearing. And just now even seagulls on Creating that gorgeous smile of the day! Seems like I’ve raised the seagull-awareness level . . .

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Seagull View Post
    Doris, wonderful evocative photos of such an interesting place. ...
    Naturally I like the seagulls (they look contented, as if they too were on holiday), but I also love the photo with the delightful beach chairs and the sandcastle.
    . . .
    Seeing the 2 seagulls I only thougt of you and so they are actually just photographed for you, seagull!!!

Best regards Doris

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Eilun View Post
    The little boat in the middle - the name is Wappen von Juist? I sailed on it 22 years ago...

Hello Eilun, fascinating that you recognized the ship from this distance !!!

http://www.ship-world.de/photo-archive/ferries_01.htm
    That page shows several small coastal ferries, and on page 2 there you can also find the "Wappen von Juist".

Greetings Doris

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied
    ....you may call that what you have also sand....

Eilun: It should be the "Wappen von Juist" She is 2 years older than the ship "Eilun", which was build in 1970.

Both were built at Lübbe Voss in Westerende-Kirchloog.
    W.v.Juist was number 18, Eilun number 30
    Eilun is 6m longer (24,4m), 0,8m wider and has 40KW more power. She can run 12 knots instead of 10.

For those who do not know, how "Eilun" looks like:
    http://www.eilun.de/rahmen_seiten/schiff.htm

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied

Doris
    Doris, wonderful evocative photos of such an interesting place. I have a recollection of seeing a TV documentary some years ago about these islands, and thinking then that this part of Germany should be better known (for those of us from elsewhere).
    Naturally I like the seagulls (they look contented, as if they too were on holiday), but I also love the photo with the delightful beach chairs and the sandcastle.
    Actually – and this is a much less silly remark than it is going to sound – it is so unusual that a place with sand-hills has the right kind of sand for making such sandcastles. So now you have learnt something about my childhood in north-west England, blest with perfect sand-castle-building beaches! The sand constituents and optimum moisture retaining properties were such that intricate details could be carved. It was even possible to construct castle moats with water in them. I was also very keen on dams and reservoirs. . .

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

The little boat in the middle - the name is Wappen von Juist? I sailed on it 22 years ago...
    Nearly the same size like the little "Eilun" sailing around Amrum.

For the members who are not familiar with Juist:
    The ferries to Juist can only sail at high water. The wind was strong and blew from east, so it happened that the water was to flat and they waited for the next flow. Sometimes a ferry stuck in the sand and this is not an accident. Also while big storms the sand and the fairway moved. Then it is necessary to find a new way and ground trees there (Pricken) as buoys.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
    If you go to this site and click on 'Sailings and charters' you will find the 'Oldenburg'.
    http://www.lundyisland.co.uk/

You will see that she is still going strong 51 years later!
    Thanks for sending the link. Always nice to read something from an "old" friend.Today I am happy to think back travelling by boat- that was "pure" vacation. Much better than to take the aeroplane where you arrive the island in 5 minutes.
    Unfortunately I don't find any old brochure or postcards of the old ships.
    Best regards Doris

Leave a comment:

• Steve.B
    replied
    Hei Steve,
    do you know this story about the "Oldenburg"?: http://www.thisisnorthdevon.co.uk/ce...s/article.html

Best regards Doris
    Yes i do know about that story, sadly my health was not so good last year and i was unable to get to Bideford for her birthday, but i heard all about it from the harbour master at Bideford. Also having worked the same area as she does for many years i also know her crew.

If you go to this site and click on 'Sailings and charters' you will find the 'Oldenburg'.
    http://www.lundyisland.co.uk/

You will see that she is still going strong 51 years later!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X