This is iceland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is iceland

i have just returned from a 4 night trip to see the Northern Lights, unfortunaltely we didn't see the lights but we toured the Golden Circle and had a great time. My daughter hired a car, and we drove to Reykjavik from the airport for our first night. we spent the first morning visiting the church and the shops, then travelling in the afternoon to Geysir crossing the National Parks on our way. The Geysir cabins were next to the famous Geyser Strokkur erupts every 8 mins, an amazing sight with all the hotprings as well and beautiful open countryside all around. In the two nights we had there, we also travelled to the famous Gullfloss Waterfall, not far away. The horse riding school was also on our doorstep so we an hour horseriding across the open landscape. A great area with so many activities available. We then moved to the Blue Lagoon area near the airport and spent one night there, a fanastic place and a must to do in Iceland. A great trip although we missed the lights.

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Re: This is iceland

REYKJAVIK ICELAND

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

THE TOWN OF REYJAVIK

Look who i met....lol

on our way to Geysir

Comment

on our way through national parks

Hotel Geysir

view from restaurant to hotsprings

our cabins

Comment

THE FANTASTIC HOTSPRINGS

Comment

FANTASTIC HOTSPRINGS

Comment

gULLFOSS WATERFALL

Comment

INSIDE CABINS AT GEYSIR

on route to Blue Lagoon

NORTHERN LIGHT INN

Comment

THE BLUE LAGOON IN THE BLUE LAGOON

LEAVING iCELAND

Comment

WAOWWW... ICELAND...

Such an amazing destination, that for a very long time have been on my want to see list... I've been to Reykjavik, and Keflavik... but only for a couple of days each time: never had the time to spend several days exploring, or even a week there.
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Great pictures Christine - sorry that the Aurora didn't behave, but some stunning landscapes nonetheless!!
                      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Stunning images, Kiki, they brought back so many memories. That Gulfoss waterfall is so beautiful, especially as it drops in stages, so to speak, covering quite a wide area.
                        When I was there in 1986 I stayed in Reykjavik mainly, but had a few days break in the middle of my holiday when I took the "bus" up the west coast to Akureyri for one night, then on to Lake Myvatn the following morning. This is a remarkable semi-active volcanic area, there was one very long cleft in the ground caused by eruptions and which suffered evidence of a further eruption only a year or two after my visit. That eruption had been expected for some time, as a hot spring in a small roadside cave where people had been used to bathing had become far too hot for that use!
                        During my stay up north I took a landrover excursion from the hotel which went deep into the center of Iceland, no roads, just lava to drive over. It was unforgettable.
                        Coming back to your great photos of the geysirs I see that there are now low chain barriers to prevent people getting too close to the eruptions. But thankfully they are discreet and not intrusive, more a warning than a real barrier. And I don't remember the hotel with its restaurant and cabins. So far as I can recall there was just nothing in the area except the geothermal activity! I read in that notice at #6.5 that the tectonic plates dividing Iceland are drifting away from each other at the rate of 2cm. a year. Since my time there that makes 52 cm. I wonder what will happen in, say, 100 years time!
                        Again, a lovely reminder of an island full of surprises and wonder. Thank you, Kiki.
                        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                          Such an amazing destination, that for a very long time have been on my want to see list...
                          Same for me... (but that list is so long, and yet I keep coming back to the same places! ).
                          Thank you so much Kiki for sharing your journey. Beautiful landscapes (wow, that Blue Lagoon really IS blue!).
                          MS Lofoten April 2006, March 2012, Feb 2013. MS Polarlys Dec 2010. MS Fram Feb 2009, Sep 2011.
                          Upcoming : MS Fram Dec 2013, MS Lofoten Sep 2014
                          My travelblog : http://voyageterremer.blogspot.com. Hurtigruten, Antarctica, Svalbard, Norway (and other places...).

Comment

Originally posted by Sarnia View Post
                            Same for me... (but that list is so long, and yet I keep coming back to the same places! ).
                            Same here... I know exactly what you are saying... it comes and goes... pyramids of Giza, India, Iceland, Svalbard... and back to Antarctica one more time... Venice in Italy... arrrghhhh.... the list goes on and on!
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Despite the lack of Northern Lights, you seem to have had a wonderful time in Iceland Kiki. I am especially captivated by that amazingly timed photo of the geyser against the brighter sky in #5/3, and seeing the trees through the spray of water. And your photos really give a sense of the scale of the waterfall at Gullfoss, as one becomes aware of people on the path on the left on the photo #7/4. It’s exciting being so close to the torrent in the next photo, and I love the direction of the light in #7/6.

Comment

Working...
                              X