• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pakarang
    started a topic This is Japan

This is Japan

This is Japan

We should really have a thread about JAPAN... a destination I have visited many times, but always dream of going back to....

But before we set off on this venture to this fantastic place, why not take a couple of classes first?

Needless to say, really entertaining classes that is:

• ombugge
    replied
    Re: This is Japan

BBC World News has made a program about One Square Mile in Nagasaki, which was aired some time ago: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-radio-and-tv-17285248
    Most about Chinatown, which I did not get any good pictures from, but also more about the original foreign (mostly Dutch) settlement of Dejima.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied

I can recommend the train ride across the mountains from Tokyo to Akita or v.v. Not the express train that spends most of the time in tunnels, but the slow train that stops at little stations all along the route. (If it still exists) Best time would be April or early May, when the fruit trees are in bloom and the fields are green, but any time will do.

I did that trip back in 1975-78, when I was visiting Japan regularly and travelling all over the place by train. I found that the time it took to fly from for instance Tokyo to Hiroshima, (Hotel to hotel) was only marginally shorter than to do the same trip by Shinkansen, and a hell of a lot more comfortable.

Spring in Japan is not just the cherry blossom season, although that is impressive enough. If that is the main attraction, I'll recommend visiting the area around the Imperial Palace in Tokyo, or Kyoto, also in early spring.

PS> It is obviously an advantage to be on an expense account when you visit Japan, but buy Lotto.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied

Well, I don't care about the weather as long as I can explore all of Japan... but it would be nice to go during a time of the year when the weather is dryer!

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
    From what I can see of all these new images, you are doing the voyage of my dream!
    That would be a wet dream in that case. It was raining and blowing a lot.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied

From what I can see of all these new images, you are doing the voyage of my dream!

Leave a comment:

• Seagull
    replied
    Originally posted by ombugge View Post
    ....I may be back soon.
    Good to hear! …for your contributions have rapidly made this a favourite thread. I very much appreciate your explorations and the non-tourist context of these trips of yours.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied

Mostly large buildings to be seen, but also some shacks like this:

I don't understand the meaning of the name of this building:

What is it trying to say???

The building looked like a pretty unremarkable apartment block:

PS> The next morning it was farewell to Japan for this time. I may be back soon.
    Last edited by ombugge; February 19th, 2012, 11:52. Reason: Add PS

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied

Fukuoka is a large town and the end of the Shinkasen Railway from Tokyo.
    Here is a link to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukuoka

I did not venture very far in this place, only a short walk from the station.
    Here is the canal that runs through Hakata:

Spring is in the air at the canal side:
    Last edited by ombugge; February 19th, 2012, 11:53.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied

An industrial town:

I believe this is Saga, a fairly large town, famous for it's beef:

We reached our destination, Hakata Station, Fukuoka on schedule. (No surprise in Japan)
    Still raining. Luckily my hotel was only a couple of minutes walk from the station.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied

The fields are still green in this southern location:

But the clouds are still low on the hills.

Shrines are everywhere:

But there are also Churches:

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied

Typical Japanese countryside housing:

With quite a few large ones as well:

Small fishing and agricultural village:

Graffiti artist are everywhere:

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied

May I invite you for a trip from Nagasaki to Fukuoka with the Kyushu Limited Express, known as Kamome:

I did not get any picture of the train at departure as I arrived at the station only 5 min. before departure, but here is an advertisment picture from their website:

Internal shot:

It was a wet and gray day, but I did take some picture of the countryside as we proceeded North at a fairly leisurely speed. (The trip took approx. 2 hrs.)

Did I say gray and wet?:

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied

Before we leave Nagasaki I would like to show you a small Tea shop in a very British style I came across in a backstreet in Dejima-machi:

This piece of "furniture" did not appear to have any relevance to the business being conducted.
    I tried to find out it's origin, but to no avail.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied

A church and a statue of the Virgin Mary is situated at the entrance to Nagasaki harbour:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X