• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Japan

Another Koi pond:

Comment

To end the tour of Clover Garden Park, here is an old building from the Mitsubish Shipyard, which has been transplanted and is now housing exhibits and a souvenir shop etc.:

In this year of the Dragon:

Comment

Walking back to my hotel after a meeting at the Agent's office I noticed this mast sticking up in the middle of town and got curios:

(Yes I know, "curiosity killed the cat", but I have always been curious. So far, so good)

This is the remnants of the old Dutch settlement, called Dejima, and is presently under restoration:

The land area was created by reclamation. Originally a fan-shaped island, which will also be recreated in some way:

Comment

I was wondering about the address I had been given by the Agent, stating that the office was in Dejima-machi. Dejima is the name of a type of tree in Indonesian. Her is the explanation:

A dejima tree transplanted from Indonesia by the Dutch and still thriving:

Comment

Not too many of the Dutch buildings have survived both the Atomic bomb and modernization, but here is one:

The Dutch reformist church is still in use:

A view back at the old Dutch buildings from the bustling main road:

Wants to know more about Dejima and the Dutch in Nagasaki??
            Here is a link: http://www1.city.nagasaki.nagasaki.j...ma/en/history/
            Last edited by ombugge; February 19th, 2012, 08:38.

Comment

Next I'm off to Nagasaki Chinatown, which is next to Dejima:

You can see the typical portal and some lanterns, marking the entrance to Chinatown in this picture. Unfortunately I did not take any other pictures there.

To compensate for the lack of own pictures, here is a link: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4404.html
              and a video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=BCzj4qwlDu4
              Last edited by ombugge; February 19th, 2012, 08:51. Reason: Add links

Comment

A church and a statue of the Virgin Mary is situated at the entrance to Nagasaki harbour:

Comment

Before we leave Nagasaki I would like to show you a small Tea shop in a very British style I came across in a backstreet in Dejima-machi:

This piece of "furniture" did not appear to have any relevance to the business being conducted.
                  I tried to find out it's origin, but to no avail.

Comment

May I invite you for a trip from Nagasaki to Fukuoka with the Kyushu Limited Express, known as Kamome:

I did not get any picture of the train at departure as I arrived at the station only 5 min. before departure, but here is an advertisment picture from their website:

Internal shot:

It was a wet and gray day, but I did take some picture of the countryside as we proceeded North at a fairly leisurely speed. (The trip took approx. 2 hrs.)

Did I say gray and wet?:

Comment

Typical Japanese countryside housing:

With quite a few large ones as well:

Small fishing and agricultural village:

Graffiti artist are everywhere:

Comment

The fields are still green in this southern location:

But the clouds are still low on the hills.

Shrines are everywhere:

But there are also Churches:

Comment

An industrial town:

I believe this is Saga, a fairly large town, famous for it's beef:

We reached our destination, Hakata Station, Fukuoka on schedule. (No surprise in Japan)
                          Still raining. Luckily my hotel was only a couple of minutes walk from the station.

Comment

Fukuoka is a large town and the end of the Shinkasen Railway from Tokyo.
                            Here is a link to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukuoka

I did not venture very far in this place, only a short walk from the station.
                            Here is the canal that runs through Hakata:

Spring is in the air at the canal side:
                            Last edited by ombugge; February 19th, 2012, 11:53.

Comment

Mostly large buildings to be seen, but also some shacks like this:

I don't understand the meaning of the name of this building:

What is it trying to say???

The building looked like a pretty unremarkable apartment block:

PS> The next morning it was farewell to Japan for this time. I may be back soon.
                              Last edited by ombugge; February 19th, 2012, 11:52. Reason: Add PS

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                                ....I may be back soon.
                                Good to hear! …for your contributions have rapidly made this a favourite thread. I very much appreciate your explorations and the non-tourist context of these trips of yours.

Comment

Working...
                                X