X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ralf__
    started a topic Greek Islands - A cruise on MS Ocean Majesty 2019

Greek Islands - A cruise on MS Ocean Majesty 2019

After various experiences on Hurtigruten ships, ferries of all sizes, sailing yachts, river ships and houseboats it was time to find out, how a cruise ship feels like.
    My wife wanted this since years and as my cousin told me, she also wants to book in on a cruise as surprise for her former foster mother, i began to look for a cruise that should fulfil the following criteria:

Small ship, small ports, still warm weather in Autumn, affordable, German language on board, if possible.

So i found MS Ocean Majesty, which is chartered during the summer season by Hansa Touristik, a small and familiar German cruise company.
    Ocean Majesty itself is owned by a Greek company, most of the nautic crew is Greek.

The main targets were the Cycladic Islands, but also the Corinthian Canal. Beginning and end was Venice. This enabled us to travel there by car, Venice is about 700km from Stuttgart.

We started one day earlier and travelled in the area of Vicenza, one hour before Venice. There we booked an overnight and dining arrangment in a small familiar hotel named Locanda degli Ulivi

image00001 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

The rooms had a wonderful view towards the Lago di Fimon.

image00008 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

The interior was wonderful and completely equipped with antique furniture.

image00007 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

The dining room, where we had a fantastic dinner with local wine and food. A fantastic place to start a cruise week!

image00003 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

https://www.locandadegliulivi.com/

• Oistein
    replied
    Thank you for shareing these nice pictures from Venice.
    Have been a few trips, but still want to return. A city that is easy to get lost in.
    Last edited by Oistein; February 14th, 2020, 14:42.

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    commented on 's reply
    Agree with you on that one.
    A note-to-self goes for me as well, as I could be much better to give people comments.
    We see it on Facebook too, it's often no comment or just a 'Like'. What's in a 'Like' anyway?
    As a photographer, when posting pictures, I'd rather have people say something in a comment, because it's those comments and the written communication
    that make the traffic on a forum.
    Will try to be better on comments, short or long, in 2020 :-)

• Ralf__
    replied
    Thank you for your nice comments. It is quite important to get such comments to get sure someone is reading that stuff. And it is a motivation for posting such threads (this message goes also to myself!).

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied
    Thank you for sharing!
    Enjoyed this trip and specially the latest addition, from Venice. This "floating" city (still) is on a to-do-list of mine, and has been for quite some time.
    I don't know when I will go there though :-)

Leave a comment:

• yvneac
    commented on 's reply
    Yes I do. As much as you enjoyed your Italian meals, Ralf!

• Ralf__
    replied
    The ferry will leave immediately, when the bus is on board.

IMG_2236 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Then you can enjoy the vaporetti in Venice again, here again Murano.

IMG_2237 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Now i will close this thread and i hope you all enjoyed the impressions of the Mediterranean Sea!

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied
    Here is a nearly finished part of the huge breakwater building, which shall protect the lagoon of Venice some day. The fishermen are using it already to catch seafood.

IMG_2230 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Behind this bridge there is a day-and-night connection via vaporetto and bus to venice. La Linea 11.

IMG_2233 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

First you take the vaporetto, then you change on the bus. This bus uses a ferry, until he brings you to the Lido.

IMG_2234 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied
    It is a historic building in the city centre.

IMG_2222 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

It is called Palazzo della Ragione.

IMG_2223 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Sorry, no picture from outside. But this was much more attractive.

IMG_2224 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied
    Chioggia is Italians most famous active fishing port and has a daily fish market. But in this low season it was almost empty inside - and the kitchen equipment in our appartment was such lousy, that we preferred to eat in the restaurants.

IMG_2211 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

One hour to drive and you are in Padova, where they have a market hall with delicious shops.

IMG_2219 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Yummy!

IMG_2220 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied
    Little Venice Special: Chioggia

From 1st to 7th of January i returned to Italy again with two friends - to enjoy a few days off work and good Italian food. We stayed in Chioggia, about 20km South of Venice.
    On 2nd of January they had a huge street market, directly in front of our appartment.

IMG_2210 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Chioggia is called "Little Venice" and here you can see, why:

IMG_2212 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

We had much luck with the weather, the feared fog appeared only in the morning hours, when young guys like us use to stay in bed... Latest from noon all days were like this...

IMG_2215 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied
    Back to Venice, where we enjoyed the small and narrow roads and channels a while.

image00125 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

A nice italian tradition is, to have an apéro before dinner. It is good to look for a small bar like this one. Mostly you get some snacks with the apéro.

image00159 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

On the left side you see the Aperol Spritz, the classic. If you need something with more punch, you can order a Negroni. 1/3 Campari, 1/3 Martini Rosso and 1/3 Gin, very effective.

image00158 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

I hope you enjoyed.

It will be followed by a Little Venice Special during the next week... stay tuned.

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied
    The main street of Burano in the morning sun.

image00079 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

The main products are handmade textiles.

image00076 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

But there are some Murano-glass-shops also there. So no need to visit both islands. That would need also a complete day, by the way. And mostly time is short on a town-trip..

image00078 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

If you need to do, what you have to do from time to time, you can use a very proper public restroom. That will cost you 1,50 Euro. Alternative: Drink a coffee in a bar like in this Osteria. You will pay 1,20 Euro for the coffee and the restroom is free and even more proper.

image00093 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied
    We took another Vaporetto and made a trip to Burano, an island which is famous for it's artcraft products. We heard recommentments that this is very pittoresque and you have to go there as early as possible in the days to avoid the tourist streams. First we passed Murano, the glass island, where several hundred people did stream in every hour.

image00062 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

And - as you can see - it was early enough. Shops and restaurants were just about to open.

image00069 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

This reminds me at a certain street in Kristiansund...

image00073 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied
    By following you around, I "visit" and see places I've never experienced myself.
    Have a friend who has been to Venice twice with his family, and he speaks positive about his holiday.
    Both Venice and Rome is on our "to do" list when it comes to holidays, so perhaps some day. (I've been to Rome, but not my spouse).
    Great following you around, Ralf, thanks for posting

Leave a comment:

Working...
X