Greek Islands - A cruise on MS Ocean Majesty 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greek Islands - A cruise on MS Ocean Majesty 2019

After various experiences on Hurtigruten ships, ferries of all sizes, sailing yachts, river ships and houseboats it was time to find out, how a cruise ship feels like.
    My wife wanted this since years and as my cousin told me, she also wants to book in on a cruise as surprise for her former foster mother, i began to look for a cruise that should fulfil the following criteria:

Small ship, small ports, still warm weather in Autumn, affordable, German language on board, if possible.

So i found MS Ocean Majesty, which is chartered during the summer season by Hansa Touristik, a small and familiar German cruise company.
    Ocean Majesty itself is owned by a Greek company, most of the nautic crew is Greek.

The main targets were the Cycladic Islands, but also the Corinthian Canal. Beginning and end was Venice. This enabled us to travel there by car, Venice is about 700km from Stuttgart.

We started one day earlier and travelled in the area of Vicenza, one hour before Venice. There we booked an overnight and dining arrangment in a small familiar hotel named Locanda degli Ulivi

image00001 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

The rooms had a wonderful view towards the Lago di Fimon.

image00008 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

The interior was wonderful and completely equipped with antique furniture.

image00007 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

The dining room, where we had a fantastic dinner with local wine and food. A fantastic place to start a cruise week!

image00003 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

https://www.locandadegliulivi.com/
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

After a generous breakfast we had a short drive to Venice Utility Park in Mestre on the mainland, where we let the car. A shuttle bus brought us some minutes later directly to the mooring place of MS Ocean Majesty in San Basilio, directly beside the old town of Venice. And there she was.

IMG_2104 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

We had a cabin on deck 6, D-52 with restricted view, but inbetween two life boats. And that was exactly right. The cabin was spacious with a comfortable bath room and the best shower we had on a ship so far.

IMG_2142 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

We had a welcome drink, sorted our luggage and had a short tour through the ship. Soon we were ready to departure.

IMG_2151 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

With a tugboat in front and one in the back, we slowly passed the grand canal and had a view over the crowds on the St. Mark's Square.

IMG_2177 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

The passage along Venice town lasted about an hour, then the tugs were leaving us.

image00003 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Also the pilot boat is leaving.

image00004 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

And we are crossing the Adriatic Sea towards Greece.

image00008 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

To be continued...

Comment

The next day was a sea day, since we had to cross the whole adriatic sea to reach Greece. Weather was fine, sea was calm, nothing to sea at all, so we took the time to explore the ship, get used to the daily routines (much, much food, the day is full if you want to use all offers) and we were quite squiffy; champain in the morning, wine at lunch, happy hour coc-ktail as apéro, wine at dinner and later a drink at the bar - we are not used to that...

But i want to take the opportunity here to show you the ship:

image00033 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

The Ocean Majesty is on the list of the 10 oldest active cruise ships of the world. But that is only half true, because she served the first half of her life as ferry "Juan March" between the Spanish mainland and the Balearic and Canaric Islands. About 1990 she was changed into a cruise ship and the car deck is now the main restaurant. Read her story here:

https://www.faktaomfartyg.se/juan_march_1966.htm

She has a typical classic hull with a round stern, no ducktail has been added:

IMG_2853 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

And here you can see our cabin window right between the two life boats. I was very happy that the decksplan was so exact, i hoped it to be exactly so, when i booked the cabin.

image00035 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

It was very difficult to catch all the interior areas without people, but this video gives you a very good impression:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2dNMXXebBY

Comment

Wow, what a great cruise you must have! Enjoy!

And look what I found from an album back in May 2018, the ship in Kristiansund
          SSL25797 by Svein Ludvigsen, on Flickr
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Nice picture! And at least you are reading the report! Thank you, Sterkoder.
            The cruise was back in October, we were travelling from 5th to 15th. Now i am back at work again...

Some of our own interior impressions. Again our cabin which looked like this twice a day, when our cabin steward had his visit and it looked all new again...

IMG_4144 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Afternoon tea at the Lido-Deck:

BF526F36-1FE4-42C3-9882-357C26B439E1 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Apéro in the Majestic Lounge with Lazlo, a fantastic Jazz pianist.

47E8B164-5D07-45FA-82BD-C015B8040AD3 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

The Majestic Lounge in total view:

IMG_4110 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

• Sterkoder
              Sterkoder commented
              Editing a comment
              Hahaha, yes, I read the report and reports from everyone else...., even if I don't comment.
              If the trips are today, yesterday or a few months back, I have no chance keep track of, because people are travelling so fast, often and to all times of the year in here that it can take the breath away from anyone who's only got three weeks of summer vacation ;-)

The empty show lounge. Sorry bad light, bad quality.

IMG_4112 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

The Bellini Bar. Here smoking inside is allowed! But it was mostly empty like this.

IMG_4111 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

And the main restaurant during the dessert buffet. One of three times we visited this room. Normally we preferred the fresh air on the Lido Buffet.

IMG_3273 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

• Sterkoder
              Sterkoder commented
              Editing a comment
              How beautiful that old ship looks inside! And that chocolate "waterfall"...wow!!! (Nice to have diabetes type 2 when this is on the table)

And we go outside on our short walkaround: My favourite place is always the bridge deck near the nock.

IMG_2202 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

There we are.

IMG_2204 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

And the nock itself:

IMG_4050 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

View forward from the bridge:

e0019773-9b4e-4eb0-a8c2-23d24442c5b9 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

Yes, some of the passengers had a bridge visit. And we were lucky (and quick enough)!

IMG_4059 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Nothing near us out on the Mediterranean Sea, but they were fully manned during our visit.

IMG_4054 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Details for the geeks among us:

IMG_4063 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

IMG_4062 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

IMG_4064 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

And also very important for a Greek captain:

IMG_4065 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

To be continued with day 3 of the cruise...

Comment

• Sterkoder
                Sterkoder commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm so thankful for the interior and bridge pictures you present to us, Ralf! Thank you!
                And back to that picture for the geeks (from the bridge): what are those round charts on the stick there in the left hand side of the picture?

• Ralf__
                Ralf__ commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks to me like tachograph discs. We know it from older trucks, but maybe Ombugge knows more about it?

Hi, Ralf. Thank's for sharing your cruise in Greece. I guess your ship would be for my taste, both her size and her decoration. You said they speak German onboard, but do they speak English too, ( even French????). Anyway I will go to their web site to have informations about their cruises, in case …..
              I stay tuned.

Comment

This is both nice and interesting! Looking forward to see some more!

Comment

Ah Ralf, this looks idyllic. Yves remarked "I guess your ship would be for my taste, both her size and her decoration." and that is my feeling, too.
                  Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                  Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Oh hello, all my friends are reading!! Nice! Thank you.

The website is https://www.hansatouristik.de/.
                    It is all German, but you know that i will help you in any questions.
                    The service crew is from the Philippines and we talked better English with them all the cruise, no question.
                    The ships crew is also better in English than in German, so it is just the touristic team by Hansa, which is German.
                    And you should better go at land on your own, so you will need them seldom, and of course they also speak a little English.
                    French? Sorry, i did not try, but sometimes you experience a surprise.

A last impression from our ship's tour. Sundown from our cabin window...

IMG_2237 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

The next day's destination was Zakynthos. We had to use the tenderboats there. Here we decided to have a walk through the town on our own.
                      Of couse we were out on deck to watch the ship's approach from the sun deck. Weather was critical, some heavy showers were rolling in.

IMG_2248 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

The town looked promising and we expected to climb on some nice view points.

IMG_2243 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

We took the second tender boat and the first people came already back - rather wet - and decided to change their clothes. We were better prepared and had a view back. With us was the Marella Explorer, the Ex Mein Schiff 1. Although not so huge, there is anyway a significant difference in size.

IMG_2280 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

Of course the Ortodox churches are always worth a visit, lot's of gold everywhere. But that just as example. I am no fan of church buildings.

IMG_2287 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

While the harbour promenade was overloaded with car rental shops, pizza restaurants and souvenir shops, the real life was two or three streets behind.

IMG_2305 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

If we would have been here with our campervan, we would have had plenty of ideas for our dinner, but we were lazy and other people did this for us this time.

IMG_2307 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

Working...
                        X