No announcement yet.

Greek Islands - A cruise on MS Ocean Majesty 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early in the next morning we arrived at Dubrovnik.
    I had a terrible bad back (rheumatic spin problems) and could just hardly make some very less steps this day.
    So i had to stay aboard and the ladies went to town alone.
    Enjoy Regine pictures, you see anyway most of her pictures during this report. The camera in her 7 is a lot better than those in my 5S. You can clearly see that in direct comparison.

The market was waiting for customers. At this time of the day the locals are still the majority.

IMG_3938 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Dubrovnik is full of small and narrow alleys. I have chosen the nicest ones.

IMG_3960 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Not all of them are empty and abandoned.

IMG_3965 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

IMG_3904 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

When you meet the harbour, you have crossed the old town.

IMG_3905 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

In remote corner, a sign was leading through a small door through the town wall offering refreshments. So they enjoyed an incredible expensive drink (thanks to Kuna all Euro prices are ridiculous), but had a nice view. The roundwalk on the town wall costs meanwhile 200 Kuna (about 28 Euro). They take only Kuna or credit cards at the cassa. So they ladies said friendly: thank you.

IMG_3984 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

Dubrovnik is overcrowded. You can see that clearly here: The street at 8.30 a.m.

IMG_3890 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

And the same place at 10 a.m.

IMG_4013 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

And do we really need this? Must the Chinese people fly over from China to buy at the Mediterranean Sea Chinese christmas junk?

IMG_4011 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

And there are still more to come: The town gate from the cruise harbour side.

IMG_4017 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

So they came back earlier than they thought. And isn't this an inviting place for a late morning coffee or an apéro?

IMG_4018 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

At noon we left this beautiful place and were happy. The early morning is the only time of the day, when you can enjoy. The Captain looks quite satisfied. Only the passage back to Venice is left. Tommorrow this cruise will be over and there were no problems at all with the ship and the schedule.

IMG_4040 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

In the afternoon we had the bridge excursion, which i showed before. Then there was tea-time, coc-ktail hour, farewell dinner and music. And we enjoyed another terriffic sunset.

IMG_4088 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

The suitcases had also to be packed and were collected during the night at deck 3.

IMG_4142 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

So we say thank you for following our cruise report and have a merry christmas and a happy new year.

IMG_4144-1 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

I will be back a while later with a Venice special, because we stayed there for another two days. Stay tuned!

Comment

Looking forward to the Venice special Ralf. Thanks for the voyage to the Med, it's a lot easier (and cheaper) when you do the travelling for us! This has been a fun trip.
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

so pity that your back cost you a day out a shore.
                but this was a magical trip ,
                but strange though that they sheduled the big eye catcher late on the day that the end was in the dark of sailing out of the canal
                best regards Thijs

Comment

• Ralf__
                  Ralf__ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think it is all about money...

Venice Special:
                In addition to our cruise we booked in a small hotel for two nights to enjoy Venice in autumn.

Of course we have to start with "official pictures". Marcus Square.

image00031 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Rialto Bridge.

image00047 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

And the gondoloas:

image00144 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

More gondolas. People with bad luck have to cruise next to a music gondola. Must be not very nice.

image00133 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

30 minutes through dark and boring canals. We spent our money better for a good meal.

image00035 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

At least they have fun.

image00040 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

to be continued...

Comment

• pilotdane
                    pilotdane commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Absolutely beautiful!

• yvneac
                    yvneac commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great shots of an amazing city, Ralf. I must find time to go there again.

Thank you both for reading and your comments.

A good opportunity to explore Venice is to buy a 24-hour ticket for the vaporetti, the water busses. They bring you everywhere you want:

image00002 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

There are different kinds and sizes. All have in common, that they are quite old and have stinky diesel engines. Especially the small ones are very noisy. But it is fun to ride with them.

image00112 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

The small ones serve the lines round the city. The best places are the four ones outside. You are sitting there nearly at the waterline. But man, that is loud there. Normally they have three speed: 1. Full speed ahead, full speed back while breaking and half speed ahead while pushing against the rope while staying at the stops. There is no smooth cruising. Very Italian.

image00056 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

As soon as two vaporetti meet together, there will be a race...

image00038 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

A typical stop. Here several lines are meeting. So there are up to four quais with the yellow houses.

image00029 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

The main stop at Murano island, where the glass artists have their production and shops.

image00024 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

A nice video. Here you can see the Venice water traffic:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COSoqBV39Gw

Comment

Even faster: The water taxis.

image00021 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

It is really astonishing to watch the art of navigating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9bWPZRmfvU

It was before the "aqua alta" (high water was in November) in October, but as you can see, during flood water is on a high level.

image00004 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Away from the high frequented routes between Rialto Bridge and the Marcus place you can detect beautiful places.

image00015 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

to be continued...

Comment

By following you around, I "visit" and see places I've never experienced myself.
                        Have a friend who has been to Venice twice with his family, and he speaks positive about his holiday.
                        Both Venice and Rome is on our "to do" list when it comes to holidays, so perhaps some day. (I've been to Rome, but not my spouse).
                        Great following you around, Ralf, thanks for posting
                        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

We took another Vaporetto and made a trip to Burano, an island which is famous for it's artcraft products. We heard recommentments that this is very pittoresque and you have to go there as early as possible in the days to avoid the tourist streams. First we passed Murano, the glass island, where several hundred people did stream in every hour.

image00062 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

And - as you can see - it was early enough. Shops and restaurants were just about to open.

image00069 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

This reminds me at a certain street in Kristiansund...

image00073 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

The main street of Burano in the morning sun.

image00079 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

The main products are handmade textiles.

image00076 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

But there are some Murano-glass-shops also there. So no need to visit both islands. That would need also a complete day, by the way. And mostly time is short on a town-trip..

image00078 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

If you need to do, what you have to do from time to time, you can use a very proper public restroom. That will cost you 1,50 Euro. Alternative: Drink a coffee in a bar like in this Osteria. You will pay 1,20 Euro for the coffee and the restroom is free and even more proper.

image00093 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

Working...
                            X