Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ralf__
    replied
    Early in the next morning we arrived at Dubrovnik.
    I had a terrible bad back (rheumatic spin problems) and could just hardly make some very less steps this day.
    So i had to stay aboard and the ladies went to town alone.
    Enjoy Regine pictures, you see anyway most of her pictures during this report. The camera in her 7 is a lot better than those in my 5S. You can clearly see that in direct comparison.

The market was waiting for customers. At this time of the day the locals are still the majority.

IMG_3938 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Dubrovnik is full of small and narrow alleys. I have chosen the nicest ones.

IMG_3960 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Not all of them are empty and abandoned.

IMG_3965 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    commented on 's reply
    Me, too!!! But preparation and writing the reports make me enjoy this short periods longer! Thank you for your kind comment!

• Tommi
    replied
    These pictures makes me wonder why I'm not travelling more often than I do.

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied
    Much later we walked on and had a view back at the place where we had been.

IMG_3831 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

It was really wonderful warm and so other people were bathing and sunbathing, too. It was a very nice mood in town on a sunday.

IMG_3836 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

And in the evening we enjoyed a full moon night after a very well organized and served Captain's dinner.

IMG_3871 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

To be continued with Day 10: Dubrovnik

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied
    And there it was. Right down, at the foot of the fortress! Perfect.

IMG_3800 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

And even more... the Yacht Club was near by and there i hoped to find my entertainment on a late sunny Sunday morning.

IMG_3818 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

And i was lucky. Greek coffee, cold water, Ouzo on Ice and a cigarette. So i had a short time watching the life on the yachts while the ladies were swimming.

image00077 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied
    In Korfu we decided to explore the city on our own. When we left the ship, some of the crew were claning the anchor. And they installed a rat-prevention-shield which we never noticed before. Just decoration? They put it only at one springline.

IMG_3720 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Nicely polished streets and pavements and a little bit calm, because it was Sunday morning. But very good to stroll through the streets.

IMG_3746 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

A must in Korfu town is to enter the fortress at the seaside and climb on the lighthouse. Here you have the best view. And the ladies wanted to spot a quiet place to bath.

image00073 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied
    Another longer bus ride followed and we just arrived at the monastery in the evening sun.

image00047 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

I stayed outside, because for me it is not polite to disturb a prayer of the (all veery old nuns) or the baptism of a child, even if this in Greece seems to be a very lively celebration. So no further pictures...

...and also no pictures of the vineyard, because we had another Ouzo-experience. Quick, quick, quick three naps of different (and no good) wines, they managed to divide three (3!) bottles for 40 (fourty!) people. And after 15 minutes, the show was over. Otherwise we would have been late for dinner on the ship....

...well we had before two perfect mixed Apéros in a bar at the port chatting about the day. My cousin did another tour and much later we finally also entered the ship to have dinner.

IMG_3702 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

To be continued with day 9: Korfu

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied
    Then we experienced the boat trip over the lake, which turned out as cave lake. A nice, small and short ride.

IMG_3610 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Unfortunately we had the singing boat driver. So it was a bit noisy... and not very melodic.

IMG_3658 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

In the meantime it was 3 p.m. and we had the organized lunch. Probably we were again one hour late... Food was good, but it was a chaotic choice, because they had only 10 portions of 4 menues and that was not really a choice. And the elderly people did not know the Greek names of the food. So some had a bad surprise. And we lost even more time.

IMG_3666 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied
    Fiskardo was really pittoresque, on the other side: Was it worth to drive all the way up here, just to return mostly over the same road? I don't know...

IMG_3586 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

The small port was quite lively, but we had only a short stay, because there was a lunch organized later. But it was nearly lunchtime!

image00009 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

On the way back we had another photo stop. Nearly at the same place...

image00013 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied
    As we entered the port of Argostoli on Kefalonia in the next morning, the quai was occupied with MS Braemar and we had to use the tenderboats. Later she would leave and set a new record for the biggest ship, which has ever passed the Corinthian Canal!! She is 22,50m wide (Ocean Majesty 19,20m). Later they told that she had to pass the Canal with half of our speed.

image00002 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

She is not only 3.30 wider, she is also 61m longer than Ocean Majesty. And she has double passenger capacity. Much more effective.

IMG_3542 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

In Argostoli a bus tour round the island Kefalonia including a boat tour, monastery and a wine yard was offered. Since the town was destroyed by an earthqake in 1953, no historic buildings have survived and so we decided to join the tour. Well, it was the same group experience as in Nauplia. Never again. But i will not repeat myself and not complain again. First destination was the small village of Fiskardo at the Northernmost point of Kefalonia. On our way we had a photo stop at the famous beach of Paralia Mirtos. Indeed a nice view.

image00006 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Leave a comment:

• yvneac
    commented on 's reply
    Still tuned.Waiting for the rest of the adventure.

• Ralf__
    replied
    The crew prepared a barbecue at deck and so people were eating and watching, as the walls came very close to the ship.

IMG_3422 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

The canal pilot was watching the scenery.

IMG_3428 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

The Ocean Majesty has about three meter space on each side.

IMG_3436 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

The night was coming and at a certain point it was not possible anymore to take pictures. So we could finish our dinner.

IMG_3456 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

During the night we took fuel at Patras. The ship had to be as light as possible to do the Canal crossing.
    Then we can continue with day 8: Kefalonia.
    Last edited by Ralf__; December 17th, 2019, 16:21.

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied
    We passed the "sinking bridge" at the entrance.

image00010 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

And then the bridge was rising again.

image00013 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Soon ready again for the cars.

image00016 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied
    Then we continued our cruise to the Corinthian Canal. In the Saronian Gulf we had an unexpected entertainment show. The Greek Flying Fire Fighters did some exercises. That was impressing to watch, although far away. They loaded water from the sea and extinguished imaginary targets.

IMG_3345 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

IMG_3353 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Then the canal tug was awaiting us.

image00001 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

And we entered the canal.

IMG_3380 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied
    Some impressions of this marvellous place. View from a small chapel on the main part of the village.

IMG_3317 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

It was not the best weather but we anyhow had very comfortable temperatures.

image00054 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Out on the end of the bay there was another chapel with a close view on our ship.

image00066 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

An we had some time left to enjoy a veery good icecream.

IMG_3328 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Leave a comment:

Working...
X