No announcement yet.

“Postcards” from the cruise “Islands on the Edge”, May 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had not anticipated that I would have so little time to myself the last month or so, resulting in such a delay in replies and further posting in this thread. So, firstly to you dear Bengt, I want you to know how much your incredibly kind and appreciative response meant to me - I was so delighted that you enjoyed 'virtually' visiting this lovely place, and liked the photos.
    You too pakarang, I knew exactly what would appeal to you about this place!

Ha ha Ralf, yes when I posted those Italian style garden views I was thinking especially of you and your visit to Sicily!
    There are a few further things happening in Bantry House I should also mention. There have been exhibitions from time to time in the stables, though temporary and in connection with other organisations to mark various anniversaries and suchlike that have connections with the history of the estate. I imagine that when the upper terraces have taken shape, a picture exhibition of the restoration could well be a possibility. Another thing is that back in 1995 the then owner's interest in music led to the first West Cork Chamber Music Festival being held in the Bantry House library. The festival went on to become a significant annual occasion with venues all over the town and is now an internationally renowned event. There are also traditional music events.
    Additionally various outdoor events happen in the gardens throughout the summer, such as theatre performances (apparently Wuthering Heights and the Jungle Book have been very popular!).
    The house has been used as a film location, as well as for fashion shoots, and is also increasingly in demand as a wedding venue - licenced for civil ceremonies and wedding blessings. So a number of initiatives are bringing in additional income along with the tea room and the b&b.

I took this photo at the car park entrance showing the admission charges for visits. This also gives me an opportunity to remind you all that with Noble Caledonia, all such entrance fees are included in the price of the cruise, along with excursions, meals and so on.

The next morning of the 7th of May won't need "postcards" in this thread. That is because all the photos were taken from the ship!
    I never thought I would get the opportunity to see the Skellig islands with ny own eyes. It was not merely a highlight of this cruise, but of a lifetime of travel experiences. Here is a peep at what is to come in Serenissima's thread.

Comment

What a wonderful surprise to see you return to this most wonderful thread. I believe I may have seen Skellig Islands myself once, from the Crystal Symphony. And the cool thing is that, the weather was (according to my memory) exactly as in your picture.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
      X