This is Scotland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is Scotland

I don't know how we have avoided a This is Scotland thread this long??
    I'll correct that mistake and post a challenge to our resident Edinburgh and Scotland expert on CVF.
    Have VG.no got it right for once??: http://www.vg.no/forbruker/reise/24-...gh/a/24108304/

Maybe not IN Scotland, but at least involving the Scottish pride and joy, Whiskey: http://www.todayonline.com/lifestyle...shot-swiss-bar
    Are there any older/more expensive whiskeys available in Scotland??

Comment

Ummm, Scotland thread - I thought Gailsail and/or Kiki had something of the sort, but perhaps renamed or amalgamated with something more specific like a trip or event.

Anyway, VG, not bad at all! More limestone than sandstone buildings actually, and although I haven't been to all the places to eat and drink mentioned here, Indigo Yard is local to me and nice to sit outside for a drink, coffee, or some lunch when the weather is fine, and quite cosy inside when it isn't
      Turning from food and drink to other non-obvious things of interest in Edinburgh, I was impressed to find the official website has vastly improved and also getting things right. This marvellous "Edinburgh in 101 objects" feature is very well worth a browse:-

http://edinburgh.org/101/

Comment

On our national tv channel NRK, on their web-tv (which unfortunately you foreigners can't watch), they have a series of programs where a tv-team follow Jane McDonald around on different cruises.
        Yesterday I saw the program where she boarded Majestic Lines "Glen Tarsan" in the city of Oban in Scotland.
        We viewers were taken on a voyage in the Hebrides to the Isle of Mull, city of Tobermory, Fingals Cave and other places, and I must say...., W-O-W...., what a beautiful and scenic part of our planet!!!!!
        Brought tears to my eyes, part of that program, and to the Scottish people (this one is in general, not you in particular, my friend Lady C), why go abroad on vacation when you live in Paradise?
        In a short sequence in the program I also spotted what looked like a former SAR vessel from Norway in Tobermory.
        I put on my Sherlock Holmes hat, and yes, it was the "Elizabeth G", former Norwegian SAR vessel "Bergen Kreds".
        Anyway, interesting to follow Jane McDonald around,

Just wanted to say.
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Entertainingly we can watch quite a lot of NRK programmes on the Web-TV (113 and Lovens lengste arm for example), but not the ones made in Britain!!

All the Hurtigruten 'minutt for minutt' episodes are accessible.
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
            On our national tv channel NRK, on their web-tv (which unfortunately you foreigners can't watch), they have a series of programs where a tv-team follow Jane McDonald around on different cruises.
            Yesterday I saw the program where she boarded Majestic Lines "Glen Tarsan" in the city of Oban in Scotland.
            We viewers were taken on a voyage in the Hebrides to the Isle of Mull, city of Tobermory, Fingals Cave and other places, and I must say...., W-O-W...., what a beautiful and scenic part of our planet!!!!!
            Brought tears to my eyes, part of that program, and to the Scottish people (this one is in general, not you in particular, my friend Lady C), why go abroad on vacation when you live in Paradise?
            In a short sequence in the program I also spotted what looked like a former SAR vessel from Norway in Tobermory.
            I put on my Sherlock Holmes hat, and yes, it was the "Elizabeth G", former Norwegian SAR vessel "Bergen Kreds".
            Anyway, interesting to follow Jane McDonald around,

Just wanted to say.
            I just love this wonderful lady.... Jane Mac Donald... her cruise programs were absolutely excellent. Love the nonchalant and relaxed atmosphere of the program.

That Oban-cruise was truly very special! WOW!... I know what to do when I retire.

I also love another wonderful host, Miss Lumley... did you see her program going the entire Silk Road?

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Sterkoder
              Sterkoder commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, I like the programs with Joanna Lumley a lot. Also her chase of the Aurora Borealis :-)

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
            ....We viewers were taken on a voyage in the Hebrides to the Isle of Mull, city of Tobermory, Fingals Cave and other places, and I must say...., W-O-W...., what a beautiful and scenic part of our planet!!!!!
            Brought tears to my eyes, part of that program, and to the Scottish people (this one is in general, not you in particular, my friend Lady C), why go abroad on vacation when you live in Paradise?.....
            Originally posted by pakarang View Post
            ....I just love this wonderful lady.... Jane Mac Donald... her cruise programs were absolutely excellent. Love the nonchalant and relaxed atmosphere of the program.
            That Oban-cruise was truly very special! WOW!... I know what to do when I retire.
            Keep hanging on there in anticipation of more delights, Sterkoder and Pakarang. …EVENTUALLY the Serenissima and ‘Postcards’ threads might reach Scottish Hebridean waters

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post

Keep hanging on there in anticipation of more delights, Sterkoder and Pakarang. …EVENTUALLY the Serenissima and ‘Postcards’ threads might reach Scottish Hebridean waters
              Will those postcards include any of the two ladies, Lumley and/or MacDonald?

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• Seagull
                Seagull commented
                Editing a comment
                Nah...not even Lady C herself ...though there will be many feathered sea birds amongst the wonderful scenery
            Working...
            X