• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the Faroe Islands

Arriving Tórshavn from the north, 27 July 2010

Faroese sailing boat nearing Tórshavn harbour

Entering the harbour

Jet ski stupidity- these 2 people were actually going between the ship and the pilot boat/tug while the ship was 'turning right'

Tórshavn

Tórshavn boat sheds?

Tórshavn wooden buildings

Tórshavn harbour and small boats

Fútastova and Áarstova

More wooden buildings

Comment

Roof windows- and apparently they do cut the grass

and wooden chimneys

more buildings

Atlantic petroleum building

Tórshavn light- Skansavitan

Departing, sailing south

Comment

I'm finding these really good to look at, Gaelsail, they are islands of which we seem to hear or see little. Particularly interesting was the number of turf-roofed houses there. Did you have a chance to see whether they might be just the older properties, or are some modern houses roofed similarly?
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
          I'm finding these really good to look at, Gaelsail, they are islands of which we seem to hear or see little. Particularly interesting was the number of turf-roofed houses there. Did you have a chance to see whether they might be just the older properties, or are some modern houses roofed similarly?
          It did just seem to be the older properties but I didn't get the opportunity to go far from the harbour area so there may have been modern buildings too.

Comment

While I was writing my previous comment you posted more pics.! And more turf roofs. Further, wooden chimneys! But surely the wooden panels are just a form of cladding??? In which case, why? And if not, then what form of fire-proofing is used?
            Do the Faroes have a problem similar to that in Iceland, in that they have such a thin layer of soil so precluding brick-making? But I see that stone is used in some cases.
            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

While I was writing my previous comment you posted more pics.! And more turf roofs.
              Apparently the older buildings on the point at the harbour are the government offices.

Further, wooden chimneys! But surely the wooden panels are just a form of cladding??? In which case, why? And if not, then what form of fire-proofing is used?
              I kept asking this question but nobody has answered it yet.

Do the Faroes have a problem similar to that in Iceland, in that they have such a thin layer of soil so precluding brick-making? But I see that stone is used in some cases.
              Perhaps someone else can answer this? I really went round the older sector that interested me and where the photos were taken, then headed back towards the ship.

Comment

Just a few very rapid replies –
                Definitely not brick-making geology.

That little peninsula where the old buildings are near the harbour is Tingenges where the Vikings established their town and capital, and original parliament. Torshavn didn’t expand beyond it until much later, 1500’s say, and then of course the town has rapidly expanded last century. I don’t remember any modern private homes with grass roofs, but there is the Hotel Foroyar, and also Nordic House, a modern cultural centre at the edge of the town.

Mostly modern forms of roofing then; not so much obviously corrugated iron roofing as you see in Reykjavík in Iceland. Many houses are quite similar to many in Norway/Denmark, so perhaps our Norwegian members can better comment on fireproofing.

I do have photos of Nordic House and of modern parts of the town, so that’s yet another thing to add to the to-do list! My photos are from Fram’s maiden voyage. You know Gailsail, I was thinking it’s been almost like you made that after all, with going on Fram earlier this year and now also on part of the same route – so pleased for you that these voyages became available.
                How long did you have in Torshavn? I was only there for three and a half hours, but I was determined to make the most of it. Having a bagful of Danish currency from many trips to Copenhagen, I took a taxi up to Nordic house at the edge of town and then wandered slowly back, ending in Tingenes before returning to the ship.

Had the art gallery been open mornings there might have been further decisions to be made, though maybe not as extreme rain and hail showers meant even I had to take shelter for short periods, and I could have made better use of the art gallery than the sports hall! But there was also glorious sunshine.

Thanks for thinking to start this thread for, as Ivy says, a somewhat ignored destination.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                  Just a few very rapid replies –
                  Definitely not brick-making geology.

That little peninsula where the old buildings are near the harbour is Tingenges where the Vikings established their town and capital, and original parliament. Torshavn didn’t expand beyond it until much later, 1500’s say, and then of course the town has rapidly expanded last century. I don’t remember any modern private homes with grass roofs, but there is the Hotel Foroyar, and also Nordic House, a modern cultural centre at the edge of the town.

Mostly modern forms of roofing then; not so much obviously corrugated iron roofing as you see in Reykjavík in Iceland. Many houses are quite similar to many in Norway/Denmark, so perhaps our Norwegian members can better comment on fireproofing.

I do have photos of Nordic House and of modern parts of the town, so that’s yet another thing to add to the to-do list! My photos are from Fram’s maiden voyage. You know Gailsail, I was thinking it’s been almost like you made that after all, with going on Fram earlier this year and now also on part of the same route – so pleased for you that these voyages became available.
                  How long did you have in Torshavn? I was only there for three and a half hours, but I was determined to make the most of it. Having a bagful of Danish currency from many trips to Copenhagen, I took a taxi up to Nordic house at the edge of town and then wandered slowly back, ending in Tingenes before returning to the ship.

Had the art gallery been open mornings there might have been further decisions to be made, though maybe not as extreme rain and hail showers meant even I had to take shelter for short periods, and I could have made better use of the art gallery than the sports hall! But there was also glorious sunshine.

Thanks for thinking to start this thread for, as Ivy says, a somewhat ignored destination.
                  Thanks, I knew someone would have the knowledge!

We only spent a few hours in Tórshavn, it was raining (the only downside of that was taking photos) and we'd decided not to get any currency just for a cup of coffee. I think I'd like to go back there is any truth in the rumour that Smyril might sail from Newcastle in 2011.

with going on Fram earlier this year and now also on part of the same route
                  what ship was I on?

Comment

Originally posted by Gaelsail View Post
                    ... what ship was I on?
                    Marco Polo on this trip
                    . . . just pointing out that this voyage included the Faroes and Shetland like Fram did on her maiden voyage. And of course you'd also been in Bergen on Fram earlier this year. So altogether a lot of Fram's maiden voyage nostalgia for me in your trip reports.

Comment

Marco Polo on this trip
                      Yes, thought you'd get that quickly Wonderful classic ship, great crew and no-fly access to places I wouldn't see otherwise.
                      Last edited by Gaelsail; August 8th, 2010, 19:53.

Comment

Marco Polo in Tórshavn- video

Watch for the 'people' on the jet skis coming between the ship and the pilot boat/tug. Rowing boat crews are out practising for the gala day on the following day.

Comment

Working...
                        X