X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve.B
    started a topic What place is this?

What place is this?

A little competition/puzzle for you all. Along the same lines as the 'Which Hurtigruten' thread, but this one is for shore based things.

In the image below is a famous building (marked within the red line), can you guess what building it is?

Too difficult? Need a clue? Well, I would give you one, but there are two very good clues in the photo, one clue should give you a good idea where in the world the place is, and the other clue in the photo should tell you what the famous building is.

The second clue may not be obvious, but you will kick yourself when realise what it is

Can you spot the two clues? Have a look and try to work it out, if you guess correctly then feel free to post your own picture puzzle.

• wherrygirl
    replied
    No, Ralf, I've never been to Corfu. And stop being impressed, because shortly after you posted your puzzle I Googled these simple words - spiral stairs, cliff and Corfu. I expected masses of spiral stairs from all over the place, with and without cliffs, everywhere except Corfu, but to my amazement the exact photo came up in the first few!
    Now I will hunt around for my offering.

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    commented on 's reply
    Correct! I am very impressed! have you been there also?
    Over to you!

• wherrygirl
    replied
    It begins with a "C", for it is in Corfu, behind the Lord High Commissioner's Palace in Corfu Town.

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    commented on 's reply
    No bad guess, not really far away, but not in Croatia.

• ombugge
    replied
    Somewhere in Croatia?

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    replied
    Okay. Then let's try this one...

IMG_3837 (2) - Kopie by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    commented on 's reply
    Probably he was the original singer. I was thinking of this fellow: https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chand_Torsvik

• Sterkoder
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, of course. Congrats! (Not that there were no signs to search by, but just by looking at the hole picture, if I didn't take it myself, I could just as easily say it was from a back street some place in England :-)
    But, I couldn't fool no one :-D
    Guess it's your turn then.

• Ralf__
    commented on 's reply
    Harvey's Sportsbar in Kristiansand:

http://www.harveys.no/

• Sterkoder
    replied
    Bad out of focus taken with an old first generation iPhone after three gin&tonics: Where are we now?
    ​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    commented on 's reply
    Ethnic Indian?
    It was Åge Aleksandersen when he sang in the Prudence in 1975.

• ombugge
    commented on 's reply
    Wasn't there an ethnic Indian singer from Namsos as well? I'm not much into music so I can't recall anything other than that he had a tune called; "Æ e Trønder Æ"

• PoloUK
    replied
    Spot on Svein - you can actually see the 'k city' bit in the window, but I'm not sure that would have been enough to solve it.

Yup, the Scandic Rock City hotel is music-themed and next to the Rock City resource centre for rock and pop music.

The confusion I was causing about to genres of music was related to Trønderrock, the mixture of rock, folk, country (perhaps) and all sorts of other music that is from this region. Artists like Åge Aleksandersen and Terje Tysland (both from Namsos) were followed by bands like DDE who spend most of their year touring around the country. DDE's big hits include 'E6', a rather lovely ballad about a long distance lorry driver rushing home from the south to Bodø for a happy event - sounds weird, but it's beautiful. We stayed at Namsos earlier this year on the way southbound down the E6, and our room was DDE-themed.

Lead singer Bjarne Brøndbo and his family still own the local scrapyard. Frode Viken, who wrote most of the wonderful songs died last year, and there have been some wonderfully emotional videos and events since then.

I come home most evenings to find my tame Viking listening to this sort of music, so it's become something of a backing track to our lives together (aahhhh!).

Well done for the extreme effort Yves, but over to you Svein.

Leave a comment:

• yvneac
    replied
    Choir music?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X