X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve.B
    started a topic What place is this?

What place is this?

A little competition/puzzle for you all. Along the same lines as the 'Which Hurtigruten' thread, but this one is for shore based things.

In the image below is a famous building (marked within the red line), can you guess what building it is?

Too difficult? Need a clue? Well, I would give you one, but there are two very good clues in the photo, one clue should give you a good idea where in the world the place is, and the other clue in the photo should tell you what the famous building is.

The second clue may not be obvious, but you will kick yourself when realise what it is

Can you spot the two clues? Have a look and try to work it out, if you guess correctly then feel free to post your own picture puzzle.

• ombugge
    commented on 's reply
    I would think there are some features here that is identifiable. It is a famous old and popular tourist destination according to it#s website.

• Ralf__
    replied
    This picture has a lousy resolution and nothing typical for Croatia. For me the only remarkable thing beside the flag is, that there are no mountains in the background. So i would start my search out on the islands. But this is too less and to obscure fore me. I am tired for a while. So if anyone else wants to step in for a search...

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    commented on 's reply
    This cottage is called "Lovska Koca Slemenka". Koca is cottage and Lovska Slemeka decribes the place. It is not marked on google earth in any way. I found the name on only a detailed map after knowing the exact position. With the name it was possible to find some pictures. The café by the way is not in this house, but in a building below. It is also not marked on Google. I think it was not possible to solve it.

IMG_2132 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

IMG_2150 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

More information here:
    http://www.forum-lov.org/kinologija/...po-krvni-sledi

The second place is called "Mali Dom Platak" : The small Platak house. They are on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Mali-dom-Pl...8241100352073/
    The reason, why i did not find it, was, because it is 25km away from the TET according to this map with the route:
    https://www.transeurotrail.org/croat...5.3653/14.7716
    And i did not find an alternative route.

• ombugge
    replied
    I'll try another one from the same general area that may be easier to solve. This one has nothing to do with the TET though:

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    commented on 's reply
    OK if you cannot find it after such extensive search than nobody else is like to either. I can than chalk this up as the second unsolved puzzle I have posted.
    The first pix is near Podluz and Metulje in Slovania. Here is the position: Geo:45.7288,14.502281
    The second is near the resort town of Platak that can be found on the internet: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-...Vacations.html

• Ralf__
    replied
    As longer i search as less i can find. On the Croatian side i followed the TET(https://www.transeurotrail.org/slove.../45.889/14.145) from the border at Brod na Kupi up to Delnice, watching via Google Earth street view each house which could be like the second one. Then i followed the trail until he is leaving the civilisation at Brestova Draga. No result. Until the trail then reaches roads and small villages again, it is more than 70km away from the border, which is not close in my definition. On the Slovakian side the trail is following the street only a short piece up to Vas and Potok and is leaving then at Jaksici civilisation again. A lot of the restaurants, cafes, mountain huts and so on seem to have no mark in the internet, so they are out of view for us in the net. So i guess, the house on the first picture is in the district of Kostel, while the second picture should be taken in the district Opcina Mrkopalj. But i don't think we are able to find it in the internet or find a picture there or a mark at GE or a sight in Street View. So i have to give up at this point. But it was a nice puzzle and i learned a lot about a wonderful area.

Leave a comment:

• Ralf__
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you. That should be easy to find. But somehow i have totally wrong keywords. It will take some time, but i continue searching.

• ombugge
    replied
    Another and larger establishment further along TRT. Not too far away from the one in the puzzle pix, but this one on the Croatian side of the border:

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    commented on 's reply
    Right country. Somewhere along the TET on the way to Croatia.

• Ralf__
    replied
    I am frustrated. I searched very detailed in Slovenia, but could not find this house. Wrong country again?

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    commented on 's reply
    Not in Croatia, but along the trail in a homely direction.

• Ralf__
    replied
    Well in this area i know well just Croatia. Will i find it there?

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    commented on 's reply
    TET has many different routes and you are obviously following one through Slovakia, Hungary and into Roumania.
    Try a more southerly trail that also take in areas you know well, at least from the sea. This is in the mountains along that trail.
    I don't know the exact usage of the building, but I know that they serve food and drinks there, since our oldest son stopped there for coffee and a bite a few days ago and took this picture. (He is riding his bike along the TET at the moment)

• Ralf__
    replied
    To make it complete, i widened my search to Hungary and Romania. There are some famous mountain areas like Matrá and Bükk, as well as the Carpathians or Transylvania.
    But there is not a single clue in the picture, where it could be. The house seems very fresh renovated and obviously not yet in use. So it could be everything. A small café as you mentioned, a pension, a vacation house, a self service accomodation for hikers or a small restaurant. After checking various touristic sites in both countries and areas i was not able to find it. Since we have no clue, i am not able to find out, in which area or near which city it could be.
    So i (we) will just need some more additional help and advice...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X