No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cave diving? The following pic. seems to show the same place on Crystal River, Florida.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...w=1178&bih=575
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
      Could it be this place:

Torrey Canyon quarry, Guernsey. Photograph: Graeme Robertson
      Spot on Ombugge! This is indeed the 'Torrey Canyon' quarry, a quarry on the Chouet headland of Guernsey. I knew this would be an easy 'google', but i had to post it because i found it amazing that 44 years after the accident, a small part of the ships cargo is still sitting in this quarry. The quarry is close to a bay that was very badly affected by the disaster, so at the time the thick black oil was skimmed, scooped and pumped into the quarry.

I watched an article about it on the TV a couple of days ago. The Torrey Canyon accident is one well remembered in this part of the UK, and i for one can remember my mother warning me not to play with any tar balls that i might find when digging in the sand whilst on holiday. I would always end up with it on my hands and on my spade. And that must have been a good 3 years or so after the accident took place.

I just found it so interesting that part of that same oil shipment is still sitting in that quarry all this time later. I believe that a few years back the authorities skimmed off some of the oil and used it in a local power station, and that more recently micro-biologists have pumped bacteria into the quarry in the hope that they will eat all of the remaining oil.

Anyway, well done for solving this one so fast, back to you again Ombugge.

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
      Cave diving? The following pic. seems to show the same place on Crystal River, Florida.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...w=1178&bih=575
      No, certainly not in the Crystal River, Ivy, far from it, and i doubt anyone would want to dive in this place! I was going to add a clue saying that this place already had a connection to a previous puzzle in this thread, namely your one that mentioned and showed a reputed section of the Torrey Canyon. I have not had the time to go back through the thread, but i do remember one of your puzzles involving the T/C.
      Last edited by Steve.B; May 10th, 2011, 12:30.
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I'm surprised that the oil is still there after all these years, especially at USD 100/BBls. or more. But I presume that all the lighter particles of the Crude Oil has evaporated by now and it it isn't usable for anything but as asphalt.

OK, to the next puzzle:

Where in nthe wide world are we now???
        Last edited by ombugge; May 10th, 2011, 15:43.

Comment

Ok, i am going to have a guess at this one, are we looking at an old view of Mandalay?
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

We are definitely in Burma somewhere (Mandalay).... I think.
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Myanmar is correct, but not Mandalay

Comment

Myanmar is correct, but not Mandalay
                Could it be the Shwedagon Pagoda in Yangon in Burma that we see up there on the hill? So, an early image of Yangoon?

If my memory serves me well, I remember that one being on a small hill.
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                  Could it be the Shwedagon Pagoda in Yangon in Burma that we see up there on the hill? So, an early image of Yangoon?

If my memory serves me well, I remember that one being on a small hill.
                  Not the Shwedagon Pagoda. No hills of this size in the vicinity of Yangon.

PS> Time has stood still in Burma for many years. The picture is not necessarily that old.
                  Last edited by ombugge; May 11th, 2011, 08:44.

Comment

I just have no time to squeeze out for this puzzle at the moment. I'm supposed to be preparing something before I go away and haven't even started yet. But once away I should be able to tune in on Nettie (my netbook - Ivy's new toy) and start searching on whatever the puzzle may be then. But please don't think, anyone, that I've lost interest in this thread - I'm a masochist!
                    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                      I just have no time to squeeze out for this puzzle at the moment. I'm supposed to be preparing something before I go away and haven't even started yet. But once away I should be able to tune in on Nettie (my netbook - Ivy's new toy) and start searching on whatever the puzzle may be then. But please don't think, anyone, that I've lost interest in this thread - I'm a masochist!
                      At the rate we are going this may still be unsolved by the time you are ready to do some seriouse research.
                      It is not among the better known towns in Myanmar, but it does appear in the news from time to time.

Comment

Let me give a hint:

Comment

Let me give a hint:
                          I have a feeling that this clue will have the puzzle solved very soon.

Comment

I do believe we must be looking at the town of Magok/Mogok - approx 66miles North East of Mandalay.

Photo V. Pardieu

Without your last clue i would not have solved this one easily, i have spent hours searching, but with no luck.

But you accidentally made this very easy Ombugge, i was about to reply quoting your clue, i was going to enquire what on earth the 'thing' was. But then, in the reply box in front of me, i spotted something interesting - the name of the .jpg file you had posted - De-long-star-ruby.jpg.

From then on things got much easier indeed. A quick search for the Delong Star Ruby soon led me to the mines around Magok.

But i will admit, i would have struggled with your clue if it was not for the fact you did not rename it. I had no idea what i was looking at, could have been somesort of sea creature for all i knew, or some sort of candy!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                              I do believe we must be looking at the town of Magok/Mogok - approx 66miles North East of Mandalay.

Photo V. Pardieu

Without your last clue i would not have solved this one easily, i have spent hours searching, but with no luck.

But you accidentally made this very easy Ombugge, i was about to reply quoting your clue, i was going to enquire what on earth the 'thing' was. But then, in the reply box in front of me, i spotted something interesting - the name of the .jpg file you had posted - De-long-star-ruby.jpg.
                              Not so accidental. I actually left it in from a much longer file name, including the name of the town.
                              Why?? To get this thread moving again. It is no fun to watch when nothing is happening for days.
                              Over to you again Steve.

PS> The picture you show was going to be my next clue, but it didn't show any more discernible features than the original one.
                              Last edited by ombugge; May 15th, 2011, 15:45.

Comment

In the tradition of this thread, here is a link to more info on Mogok: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogok

It is the centre of precious stone mining in Myanmar and the worlds biggest supplier of rubies: http://www.burmarubies.com/mogok.html

Incl. the famous star rubies of which the DeLong Star is the most famous:
                                http://jewelry-blog.internetstones.c...long-star-ruby

Comment

Working...
                                X