No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes the statue is the key here. When you now who the statue is off you will easily find the name of the town v.v.

Comment

Well, I have been following two possible names, but so far drawn a blank!
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
        Well, I have been following two possible names, but so far drawn a blank!
        I didn't know that the Philippines had that many home grown military heroes.

Comment

No, I've not found it! But I just haven't had the time for a while to devote to the search, apart from a few quick sessions. Can't find a statue of this hero anywhere!
          Ivy

Comment

This has ended up one of the longest running puzzles on this thread.
            We know that we are in the Philippines and that the statue and the name of the place has a direct connection.
            We also know that the statue is of a military man.
            Here is a closer look at the man who has been honoured with a statue:

Any more help than that and I may as well just give the name away.

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
              No, I've not found it! But I just haven't had the time for a while to devote to the search, apart from a few quick sessions. Can't find a statue of this hero anywhere!
              Same this end, Ivy, I have also been busy with other things, hence no input here at the moment.

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
              This has ended up one of the longest running puzzles on this thread.
              We know that we are in the Philippines and that the statue and the name of the place has a direct connection.
              We also know that the statue is of a military man.
              Here is a closer look at the man who has been honoured with a statue:

Any more help than that and I may as well just give the name away.
              You have given more than enough information already Ombugge, please don't make it too easy, i have been rather busy, but would hate to see this one given away. I believe this one should now be very solvable, i will endeavour to spend some time on this one today.
              Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Are we in Batangas?, if not, are we that far south?
                Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                  Are we in Batangas?, if not, are we that far south?
                  Not Batangas and you need to look at islands further south

Comment

Still nobody able to solve this one?
                    I don't know if there are any more hints I can offer here.
                    Maybe it is spring that make everybody too busy to try researching Pinoy Generals?

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                      Maybe it is spring that make everybody too busy to try researching Pinoy Generals?
                      Thank you Ombugge, you have just provided the clue needed to solve this one!
                      I have of course searched for Generals, but, never with the word 'Pinoy' before now. (Lack of education on my part) I had always used Philippine or Filipino before now.

But using the word Pinoy, i soon found out that this is a statue of General Paulino Santos, situated in the park outside the City Hall in General Santos City, South Cotabato. The modern looking building in your second photo would be the Sydney Hotel.

A photo of the statue is shown on this link. Sadly, if you read the comments on the page, it would appear that all those nice trees surrounding the statue have now been cut down.
                      http://photoblog.mindanao.com/2008/0...santos-statue/
                      Last edited by Steve.B; May 8th, 2011, 18:40. Reason: Adding text.

Comment

Oh well done Steve. I have to admit that I've not been able to devote much time to this search recently, I'm very tied up with a couple of other things which I must get done and then I've been daft enough to take up this "Year of photographs" lark.
                        I did spend quite a bit of time on the puzzle at first, though, and like you concentrated on Philippino/Filipino and generals/heroes. You set us quite a problem with this one, Ombugge!
                        Looking forward to Steve's next one now.... help!
                        Ivy

Comment

I think it's amazing, most people will have heard of General Santos, me included, obviously a rather famous General. But yet i spent hours searching the net for statues of Filipino Generals, and never once did that statue show up. I would have thought it would have been top of the lists!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                            I think it's amazing, most people will have heard of General Santos, me included, obviously a rather famous General. But yet i spent hours searching the net for statues of Filipino Generals, and never once did that statue show up. I would have thought it would have been top of the lists!
                            Well done Steve. I'm amazed at how long it took to solve this one since we fairly quickly got to the Philippines and, as you say, General Santos is a well known personality in Philippine history and General Santos City is a fairly large town, which is sometimes in the news due to the Moro rebellion in the south.
                            I thought it would last for hours not weeks

Well, it is solved and is back to you Steve.

Comment

How about this one? I think it will be solved very quickly, so really i am throwing this one in for it's interest value.

So where is this place?

Photo - BBC
                              Last edited by Steve.B; May 10th, 2011, 12:25.

Comment

Could it be this place:

Torrey Canyon quarry, Guernsey. Photograph: Graeme Robertson

Comment

Working...
                                X