What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes please.

you havn't been in woerkum yet,so that aint it.
    the canon stands high above the water,so it aint holland anyway
    for the guns of Navarone they are to small.
    best regards Thijs

Comment

This is just the end one in a row. I don't want to say how many yet because that makes it easy to find.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I think this is one of six guns at "Gun Hill", Southwold, Suffolk.

Comment

Oh, spot on, Ombugge, very well done. Here is my picture of the set of six cannon placed along the cliff top:

There is an interesting piece about Southwold at http://www.southwold.info/about-southwold.html It is certainly a very attractive little town about 40 minutes drive from my place.

So now, Ombugge, what do you have for us?
          Ivy

Comment

Next puzzle will put us back in warmer climes again, although that may not be as important to most now that spring is in the air, even in the North of Norway.

Where is this tropical place then???:

Comment

I must be mistaken, but those protuberant ears, the uniform and what appears to be the Nazi salute - surely the statue is not of Goebbels? It can't be, statues are normally erected after the death of the person concerned, and after his end who would do that? Even if it were made during his lifetime then would it still be around, unless this is a very old photo? Got me really puzzled, this one.
              Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                Next puzzle will put us back in warmer climes again, although that may not be as important to most now that spring is in the air, even in the North of Norway.

Where is this tropical place then???:
                General Mac Arthur, Philippines... maybe even Corregidor Island?
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                  I must be mistaken, but those protuberant ears, the uniform and what appears to be the Nazi salute - surely the statue is not of Goebbels? It can't be, statues are normally erected after the death of the person concerned, and after his end who would do that? Even if it were made during his lifetime then would it still be around, unless this is a very old photo? Got me really puzzled, this one.
                  I frankly doesn't know who the statue is of, but I seriously think that Goebbels is highly unlikely. He would not be much of a hero at this place anyhow.

OT: I found that the Puzzle pictures I had posted originated from several albums in my Photobucket account and thought I would just create a new account specifically for such.

Yes, I knew I would have to re-instate the pictures in the various posts, but didn't realize how much work that entailed.
                  I have just finished and think I have "covered my tracks" pretty good, but I'm not able to re-instate pictures which has been re-posted by others, which is only a few.

Comment

I suggest Avenue de los Presidentes, Havana.
                    Last edited by wherrygirl; April 17th, 2011, 11:22.
                    Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                      General Mac Arthur, Philippines... maybe even Corregidor Island?
                      Don't know if it is General MacArthur, but it is in the Phillipines. Not on Corregidor Island though.

Comment

Haven't looked at this for several days! It's not the Manila Post Office building, is it?
                        Ivy

Comment

Or the Bacolod-Silay international airport on Negros?
                          Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                            Or the Bacolod-Silay international airport on Negros?
                            No, not Manila Post Office and not Bacolod-Silay Airport, but keep on moving south.

Comment

Another picture of the statue for a different perspective:

Maybe that will help in getting this one solved?

Comment

So it's obviously not a megaphone in his left hand after all! From the first photo i was sure it was.

Hopefully this second photo and clues will help, i have spent quite a while searching for this one on the quiet. Not been helped by the fact that Panoramio have totally screwed up the photo layer feature on google earth at the moment. It does not work at all on the older version 4 of GE i was using, and in the latest versions of GE (which i find to be much too slow for my liking), the mouse-over feature no longer works, before all you had to do was hover your mouse over a photos icon and a small pop up box would appear giving a description of the photo, now you have to open each photo fully before you get to see the description!. The change as caused uproar with both Panoramio users and GE users alike. Hopefully they will sort it out soon.

Anyway, sorry for the off topic moan, back to the statue hunt!
                                Last edited by Steve.B; April 25th, 2011, 19:11.
                                Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Working...
                                X