No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will leave it open for someone else to post the next puzzle, i have just found out about a big family problem, and i really cannot concentrate on finding a good puzzle for you all. But i feel i may need the distraction of trying to solve one of your puzzles over the next few days. Darn, life sure does throw surprises at you from time to time.

Anyway, back to you, my C.V.F friends, may you post your best puzzle yet.
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Wow, i was hoping after the first two posts, this would keep you busy for a longer time. But of course you are correct!

Here is the link to a nice gallery:
      http://tidoblog.wordpress.com/2009/1...eepark-berlin/

I just was stumbing over it while i was searching for something completely different recently.
      I never have been there. Berlin is about 600km from my place, so i don't go there very often...

I am very sorry about your family problem and will try to find another puzzle. If you might need a second opinion, feel free to send me a p.m. or a mail!
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Next puzzle:

F.Guenther

Comment

Steve, so sorry to hear about your family problem. You are in my thoughts and I know enough of you to be sure that you'll have the strength to come through it all. In the midst of it, take care of yourself.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Here for you Steve, in any way that we can help...

Comment

Thank you all so much for your concern, i am ok, just feeling a bit stunned and shocked at the moment. Out of the blue last night i found out that my son just walked out of his marriage. No one saw it coming, least of all my daughter-in-law. I am just worried for all of them, and also very concerned for what it will mean for Willow. So at the moment i am just feeling, shocked, annoyed and very worried about it all. A very sad time. But only time will tell what is going to happen.

Anyway, again, thank you for the concern, it's nice to know i can share something like this.
              Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

al the best for you and the rest of your family steve.
                lets hope that your son find the rest to over think it al,and putting every thing back on track.
                and wants to try it again,specialy for Willow.
                best regards Thijs

Comment

Thank you, Thijs. Time will tell, but hopefully they will take this opportunity to work things out.

Anyway, come on you lot, this latest puzzle is easy!

Comment

A voice wispered to me the puzzle is solved but it will be still open for all your guesses. Don't wait for that voice to answer here...

Comment

Found it - New York old City Hall subway station, opened 1904, but long disused.
                      Haven't found Ralf's picture but here are two others:
                      http://alexandracampbellinteriors.fi...ork-subway.jpg
                      http://alexandracampbellinteriors.fi...rk-subway3.jpg

Just beautiful, isn't it?

Now found this - read all about it at
                      http://newyork.untappedcities.com/20...%C2%A0station/
                      Last edited by wherrygirl; April 3rd, 2011, 23:22.
                      Ivy

Comment

Bravo! Very good!! I feared this morning, that i should ask for a replacement of this wonderful puzzle! But now you solved it!

The station was closed, because of the platform in that narrow curve. The distance between platform and wagons was too big and there was a great risk of accidents. But what a wonderful place!

Over to you Ivy!!

Comment

Not really all that good, Ralf. I haven't had much time to devote to the search just recently, and on top of that, although I did start off in the Moscow metro I stupidly put "tunnel" in some of my subsequent searches instead of "station". And after all, our Steve had cottoned on to it straight away.
                          However, I'll try and find another humdinger for you all.
                          Ivy

Comment

Well done, Ivy. I am also glad you solved that one, I stumbled across the answer very quickly, but did not have another puzzle to post, plus, it was such an interesting subject i just wanted to leave it running for everyone.

Ralf, what an interesting subject, i have spent a good deal of time reading about not only that particular station, but also a few others. But this one is somewhat unique being on the 'turnaround' loop. Last night i became curious about those skylights, where on earth could they be on the ground above in Downtown Manhattan? I discovered they are situated in the City Hall Park.

I have also been reading about other 'underground' things in New York, most Cities have the normal rodent problems in underground sewers etc, it would appear from several reports that i have been reading, that New York's sewers and waterways have a slightly bigger problem - Alligators! Not sure i would want to be a sewage worker under New York! Further reading into the subject suggests that for the most part, Alligators in the sewers in nothing more than a myth, but there have been two or three confirmed reports, although one of them involved a small 2foot baby Alligator that was found hiding under a car at street level. I personally would go along with the theory that these critters have found their way down there by accident, escaping from somewhere and finding their way into a storm drain. I do not think they would be able to survive for years, or breed in such conditions.
                            Last edited by Steve.B; April 4th, 2011, 17:04. Reason: Adding txt

Comment

Interesting topic! Find more about it here:

New York:
                              http://www.nycsubway.org/abandsta.html

Berlin:
                              http://berliner-unterwelten.de/home.1.1.html

London:
                              http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/

Paris:
                              http://w3.teaser.fr/~aquintanar/ratp-img.html#English

Comment

Our Steve, I honestly think that in starting up this thread you really hit upon a winner, and that is exemplified by what you have written above. It's not just solving the puzzle, but also what you learn on the journey. I have found out so many interesting things - the problem being that in the rush to ID the picture I have no time to dwell on my incidental findings, and to list all the URL's would be fruitless as I'd never get round them all. But hopefully some things will stick in the memory. And my thanks to you for foregoing the chance to win Ralf's puzzle - I at least would have missed so much on the way.
                                Now, have a go at this one. Apologies for the quality of the photo, but that doesn't matter as far as clues go. Clues... you mutter. What clues???

P.S. I forgot to refresh before posting, Ralf, so didn't see your post until just now. I'll have a look at those sites. Many thanks.
                                Last edited by wherrygirl; April 4th, 2011, 17:22.
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X