No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh heck, he's beaten me to it with another one. Now, somewhere I saw something about this kind of bridge and that was concept only. I don't recognise this particular one, the one I saw was more complicated. I didn't stop to ascertain the idea that prompted it, though. Oh, lordy. lordy......
    But I must go, other thigns to do. But I'll be back....
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

No, couldn't resist a quick search. See below. fascinating.

http://www.fastcompany.com/1660258/t...-70-car-pileup

It's these brilliant Dutchies again!
      Ivy

Comment

ho ho Ivy,this is a not existing bridge just a study,don't let fooled you
        where would this bridge could bult, maybe the UK, japan ,australia, or other at the wrong side of the road driving countries,who dicided that they wil drive at the right side.
        as you see on the image they go from left side driving to the right side driving,there is neede 1 crossing more to get on there own side again.
        but when they are used to drive at the right side,this bridge is useless.
        so only as use for a architectture disigned bridge,that would cost to much on extra concrete. (so we won't see this bridge in cheap holland)

hahahahaha,while i was typing this in as a good english if possable you had already found this out.
        but i was close with the crossing
        Last edited by janihudi; February 27th, 2011, 12:38.
        best regards Thijs

Comment

No, Thijs, it does work. Get out of your great truck, on your bike and take it slowly. If you follow either left or right-side driving you come out at the other end on the changed correct side, there's no need to change back because only the one change is needed in this particular situation. Yes, they have to remember to stay on the new side when they reach the next turning/intersection, but that's all part of the game!
          I agree, it would never succeed anywhere if there was just an arbitary decision for a whole country to change. But all of mainland Europe is right-sided, isn't it? Not sure, really. And we're an island so the occasion doesn't arise (unless Wales or Scotland decided to go it alone! Or Cornwall. )
          It'll never be done though, I agree.
          Ivy

Comment

what i had typed was while you had post yours,didn't now that it was situated for that part of china,to go from ''wrong'' side to ''good'' sideof the road.
            until i read it a few moments later at your post.

as far as i know is only the uk so ykcoc (they have troubbles with this,so your trick,backwords)to drive at the wrong side in Europe.

idiots anyway there in the Uk,i have never seen a driver on the toplevel of that londen busses,are they al world-weary?? there (came translation site with)
            best regards Thijs

Comment

Many years ago I attended Swedish language evening classes here in Edinburgh taught by a British person who had studied in Stockholm at the time when Sweden changed the side of the road they drive on.

He had kept memorabilia from that time – instructions and official advice from the days leading up to the big day. He often used these in our conversation classes!

If you look at that classic view towards the City Hall and Old Town, (don’t think I have a handy digital image, but it’s easily googled), the complicated traffic interchange at Slussen apparently makes more sense when you have these circumstances in mind!

Comment

at school we had a lesson or school tv about that had to do with this,and there were images of it.
                they also said that they had switch over in 1 night,al the traffic signs are changed,from left to right driving signs.

it most had been an odd expieriance for them the next morning,driving on the other side.
                best regards Thijs

Comment

And we should ask why we first started driving on the left.

The custom of driving on the left probably dates back to pre-history. It may have been an early road safety measure. At a time when the main danger on the roads was mugging, careful travellers would pass on-coming strangers on the left with their sword arm towards the passer-by.
                  So there you go, us Brits drove on the left so we could fend off early road rage attacks!

And you can find more information regarding why some drive on the left, and some drive on the right on the link below. (All probably speculation of course!).
                  http://users.telenet.be/worldstandar...the%20left.htm
                  Last edited by Steve.B; February 27th, 2011, 17:40.
                  Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

yes i can remember something like that from the quote,the most man were righthanded,so they could use there sword as robbers passed by.
                    we starded from a bridge and we are already at historic robbers
                    best regards Thijs

Comment

That's a very interesting article, Steve. Many thanks for passing it on. I had to laugh when it mentioned the referendum in Sweden where over 82% voted against changing to driving on the right, then their Government passed the law anyway. Three cheers for democracy.
                      If you're talking swords then that reminds me of spiral staircases in castles. The stairs wound clockwise going up, so the attacking swordsman would not be able to swing his sword properly (assuming he were right-handed), whereas the defender further up would have more room to despatch the bounder.
                      Last edited by wherrygirl; February 27th, 2011, 18:49.
                      Ivy

Comment

First of all, John sends many thanks for your hard work on the trains, Ralf. He has sent me some images which are very, very indistinct, and has more to say about them. I think, to avoid cluttering up this thread, I will not post them here, but see PM.

So, next puzzle pic. below. Where is it?

Bernard Gagnon
                        Last edited by wherrygirl; February 28th, 2011, 13:47.
                        Ivy

Comment

I have a feeling we could be looking at the interior of Montserrat cathedral?

Further investigation i will say that this is the Basilica at Santa Maria de Montserrat. Part of a Benedictine Abbey located in the mountains in Catalonia, Spain.
                          The choir will be the L'Escolania boys choir.
                          Last edited by Steve.B; February 28th, 2011, 14:56. Reason: addition
                          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Where in the world do you all find the answers so fast...??? I'm shocked, impressed and speechless (and that doesn't happen often!).
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
                              at school we had a lesson or school tv about that had to do with this,and there were images of it.
                              they also said that they had switch over in 1 night,all the traffic signs are changed,from left to right driving signs.

it most had been an odd experience for them the next morning,driving on the other side.
                              The Swedes are smart peoples, they had buses, trucks and emergency vehicles change side first!!!
                              No, not a month in advance, but all other traffic was banned from driving on the roads during that first night.

Comment

Steve, spot on, well done. Your turn.
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X