What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
    Is the building a lodge to the "big house" somewhere? I may be mistaken, but it looks like Cotswold stone, so does that make it England?
    The building is indeed in England, Ivy, but what you see in the photograph is the main building itself, not a lodge.
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I am doing a tour of England in pursuit of this wretched dog but am getting nowhere.. It is apparently a copy of the Dog of Alcibiades, a Greek who came to a bad end. See Wiki and it seems that anybody who was anybody had a copy at the entrance to their estate, including the owner of this one - whoever he may be. It's really quite interesting. A sad tale is about copies in Victoria Park, London's East End.
      Forgive me, Steve, for intruding on your puzzle, but this search has turned up quite a few interesting places. However, it's got me stumped at the moment.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

You certainly have been running around after these dogs, Ivy! I liked the story about the dogs in Victoria Park, but it really annoys me when i see the total lack of respect and common decency some people have, such a shame.

Well, i have been wondering if i should throw in a clue at this point, but it's hard finding something suitable that will not give the game away very quickly. I guess i could say that this place has had it's fair share of Royal connections over the years. Not sure if it will help or hinder at this point!
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I had a last try yesterday looking up hunting lodges, which category seemed to hold the possibilty of the "Royal connection over the years" (maybe Henry VIII etc.!) without actually being Royal property. But without success. Anyone else got a clue? Without a further clue from Steve, I've run out of ideas and Google of pics. to satisfy me!
          Ivy

Comment

I had a last try yesterday looking up hunting lodges,
            Forget the word 'Lodge', and forget the word 'Hunting'. They will not help you in the search.

This is the building you are looking for, faithfully guarded by the dogs.

Photos are attributed to WightCam.
            Should keep you interested!
            Last edited by Steve.B; February 17th, 2011, 20:42. Reason: Adding photo credit

Comment

Aren't you just infuriating. Ain't got no pity, some folk. But what a beautiful building.
              Oh well, Google, here I come.....again. Bah! (Thinks: it's not as if I haven't anything else to do. Must be the excitement of the chase, even if hunting lodges have been counted out.)
              Ivy

Comment

Arreton Manor, Isle of White. Charles I reviewed the Scottish Regiment of Mercenaries on its lawn in 1628.
                'Owzat?
                Ivy

Comment

The site you took your photos from has the most beautiful photos, hasn't it? I've just been browsing it.
                  I found the house first on an estate agent's site, the picture being one of those large thumbnails superimposed on the page, but minus title. On getting to the page itself there was no sign of the house, of course, though I quickly discovered it elsewhere, one site saying it was the most beautiful Jacobean/Tudor manor house in the country. I fell in love with it even from the fragment you first showed, and I have seen quite a few because I used to arrange trips for the local yagnuB Society, and small manor houses were always favourites of mine compared to the grander mansions. So I used to ensure that I included one, if not two in the spring breaks.
                  Should have thought of the IOW in the first place.
                  Ivy

Comment

Oh i enjoyed having you baffled for a while there, Ivy!

Yes, Arreton Manor is a really nice place, I have been there 3 or 4 times, the first being with the school whilst we were on a camping holiday on the island.

Arreton's Royal connections started way back in the reign of King Alfred the Great, he left it in his will to his son. That would have been the original manor house, it was rebuilt between 1595 and 1612. The manor was also once owned by Charles the 1st, the connection you found, plus it is said Queen Victoria also planted a tree in the gardens.

The site where the photos can be found;
                    http://www.wight-cam.co.uk/WightCAM/HTML/IslandAttractions/ArretonManor.htm

Well done, Ivy, back to you again. I must now go back and attribute the two photos i used, i am sure you can understand why i could not attribute them beforehand, the attribution goes straight to the wonderful website where the photos are to be found.

Comment

I shall be posting a new puzzle, but meanwhile I wonder if you could do a favour for a friend of mine? John, in Oz, is busy posting on Flickr some old photos taken by his grandfather in the very early 1900's. Many were untitled, and while he has somehow managed to ID quite a few, there are still several hopeless cases. He has gladly agreed that I try them out on you. One set is at http://www.flickr.com/photos/hibeach...7625905704999/ though neither he nor I hold out much hope for that batch - you'll see why, and there is a building at http://www.flickr.com/photos/hibeach...7625873537472/ The latter was taken on a trip from the Reichstag, Berlin, to Kanazawa in Japan, all that set being developed together. I've tried it for a long time, particularly trying to ID that statue on the top, but have given up.
                      I promise that my puzzle pic. will be much easier!
                      Last edited by wherrygirl; February 18th, 2011, 21:51.
                      Ivy

Comment

Ooh they look like they will be hard to crack, Ivy! I wonder if the building with the statue on the roof still stands today? I am away this weekend, but i shall have a closer look next week. Have fun!

Comment

Now, regular puzzle pic. coming up. Where, what was and what is this building?

Ivy

Comment

...... and there is a building at http://www.flickr.com/photos/hibeach...7625873537472/ The latter was taken on a trip from the Reichstag, Berlin, to Kanazawa in Japan, all that set being developed together. I've tried it for a long time, particularly trying to ID that statue on the top, but have given up.
                            Ivy, let me introduce you to.....................

The Gendarme Market, Opera House, Berlin.

Photo link to verityandgraeme's album on photobucket.

Comment

Steve - the man's a marvel! Oh well done, John will be pleased to be able to put a name to it. Just sort all those waving palm trees on the other photos, probably taken somewhere between Japan and San Fransisco, then you can dispose of my pic. in a couple of seconds.
                              Many, many thanks, Steve.

PS Don't forget to ascertain the name of the sailing ship while you're at it.
                              Seriously, though, Steve, that batch is pretty hopeless, don't bother about it.
                              Last edited by wherrygirl; February 23rd, 2011, 00:47.
                              Ivy

Comment

PS Don't forget to ascertain the name of the sailing ship while you're at it.
                                Seriously, though, Steve, that batch is pretty hopeless, don't bother about it.
                                Ah, darn, you noticed i chose the easiest of your links to follow!

But to be honest, Ivy, i doubt i could solve any of the others, the one i followed was hard enough! But like all puzzles, if you know what to type into google it's not so hard. In this case i simply typed "Historical German buildings bombed in the war", the answer was in the top row of photos!

Just how i came to type that into google is another story though! I spent ages trying to identify the statue on top of the building, the legs sticking straight out in front made it stand out from other statues. I did not settle on looking for statues that were mounted on a roof, after all, the statue could have been removed years ago. But i could find nothing to match. So i then turned my attention to the lion statues lower down, looking closely i thought i could see something sitting on the lions back. That led me on a wild search that included Lion goddesses and all sorts of things. I even began to wonder if the statue on the roof may have been lions pulling a chariot. But all my searches of any of the statues turned up nothing. So i began to wonder more seriously about whether or not the building still existed. And if not, why not? The war seemed to be a likely candidate. Earlier in my searches i spotted a similar statue on top of the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin, so that decided where i should look for any buildings damaged in the war. Hence my search of google. Hey presto! So i guess the building must have been damaged during the war, but luckily it survived.

Anyway, back to your latest puzzle, i think that will give us more trouble than the one just solved!

Comment

Working...
                                X