No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Ralf, I would never have guessed it. It was while I was working my way along that part of the coast on Google Earth that I noted it down as a possible location, though without much hope. Then last night I began checking back on the "possibles" and bingo, I found the Wiki pic.
    Your last photo looks really inviting. Next time I'm in Devon - hopefully not too far ahead, that will be a must. The beer will be out, dry white is my tipple, but as I'll be driving that'll be out also as I'm strict with myself about drink/driving and have enough trouble with those narrow Devonshire lanes without a fuddled head battling with my new sat-nav. In Devon last June it several times insisted that my way lay down a lane about wide enough for a bike, but being the old-fashioned type, in that I love maps, I went my own way. Funny how these sat-navs learn one's funny little ways, because it never tried it on again in that area!
    Right, I'm off to find a real problem for you. (Some hopes!)
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Where is this place:

Photo: Thomas Wanhoff

And for a bonus, what are the constructions along the path?
      Last edited by wherrygirl; February 9th, 2011, 18:41.
      Ivy

Comment

I've just had an honest message from one of the "puzzlers" that by clicking on the pic. to enlarge it, up it came with the details! Up till now I've used my own pics. and if they are not on Flickr I put them through Picturepush in an un-named account. That has never given any details. This one was from the web and I had downloaded it to my computer and then put it through Picturepush. I hadn't checked back on it, but when I tried it out just now it went back to the Google page as displayed on Picturepush with all the answers!
        So to be fair to all, and with apologies, I'm cancelling that one and will repost soon.
        Very sorry. eek: :

PS. These two links show you what it was .
        http://bhutan2008.blogspot.com/2007/...of-bhutan.html
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/wanhoff...7594380921407/

and this one gives a general bit of information:
        http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi..._Bhutan%29.jpg

A little bit of private study while you wait!
        Last edited by wherrygirl; February 10th, 2011, 12:01.
        Ivy

Comment

See what sort of a mess I can make of this one! Where is it?

Anouchka Unel
          Last edited by wherrygirl; February 10th, 2011, 17:13.
          Ivy

Comment

My first guess.

"Wot no llamas!"

Photo credit unknown - link on google led to a deleted blog.

The Salar of Uyuni in Bolivia, South America.?
            Last edited by Steve.B; October 19th, 2011, 19:15.
            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Now how on earth did you get that so quickly, Steve? I think I prefer the llamas, actually.
              Oh well done, I can't keep you occupied for long! Back to you now.
              Ivy

Comment

I am thanking my lucky stars that i made a mistake in my spelling of the word 'llama', I solved that one very quickly by searching Google for images of 'lamas on a dry lake bed'. That combination of words produced your photo. I just went back to Google and searched 'llamas on a dry lake bed', it did not produce your photo in the results!

So solving your puzzle so quickly was purely down to my bad spelling.

So here is another one for you all.

Which place is this?

Credit M Manske
                Last edited by Steve.B; February 10th, 2011, 20:06. Reason: Another spelling mistake!
                Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I just want to let you know that i am searching! I am quite sure we are not in Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium and France.
                  M(agnus) Manske has uploaded a lot of lighthouse pictures in the web, but so far i could not find a site where they are altogether!
                  He seems to be quite active as Wikipedia author. I do believe, that he is not the photographer! So this trace leads into Nirvana...

This is one of that kind, where you need patience! Like the oil-rigg puzzle. But we all are experts in lighthouses then...

Last edited by Ralf__; February 11th, 2011, 16:14.
                  Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Spent ages getting nowhere last evening, but just tuned in again now and I'll doubtless still get nowhere. In fact I quite expected to find it solved and a fresh one there. However, I have a theory about what this structure may be. But I'm not telling..... Probably all wrong, anyway.
                    Nil desperandum. Not never.
                    Ivy

Comment

Is this a coastguard lookout, rather than a lighthouse? Also is it in the British Isles, perhaps a coastal path?
                      Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                        Is this a coastguard lookout, rather than a lighthouse? Also is it in the British Isles, perhaps a coastal path?
                        No, not in the British Isles, but the tower is still a working lighthouse rather than anysort of coastguard station.

This is one of those puzzles where it will be very easy to be led astray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                          I am quite sure we are not in Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium and France.

He seems to be quite active as Wikipedia author. I do believe, that he is not the photographer! So this trace leads into Nirvana...
                          No, your not in either Germany, Belgium or France, and neither are we in Nirvana.

For a small clue, think colour.

Comment

I think i found it:

Marblehead Lighthouse is located at the entrance to Sandusky Bay in southern Lake Erie, it stands 65 feet tall and is the oldest active lighthouse on the Great Lakes, the keepers dwelling is used as a museum.

http://www.greatlakesdigitalimaging.com/light20.jpg

There were two ideas, that led me in the right direction: First: "think colour". I tried "white" as keyword and found out it would not help me, because pictures of similar lighthouse from all over the world popped up. Up to then i was checking lighthouse archives of certain areas. And then your clue "led astray" let me think about the coast. First i was thinking about a place in the Baltic Sea because of the small waves, but the it reminded me also on the shore of Lake Konstanz.
                            "White lighthouse lake" produced the right result, i presume??

Comment

Well done Ralf, you have solved it! Marblehead Lighthouse in Ohio it is.

Your thoughts about the clues were nearly correct. You correctly interpreted my "led astray" clue, i was thinking that most people automatically assume that the lighthouse would be on the seashore somewhere, and of course this lighthouse is not, it's on the shore of a lake!

But you were not quite right when interpreting the clue about colour, my clue referred to the lighthouses green light. This lighthouse shows a green aspect, thus making it easier for ships and boats to distinguish it from other nearby lights that show a normal white aspect.

But you solved it anyway!, so it is now back to you. I look forward to another challenge.

Comment

I think we have some experts in here for this kind of building.
                                Where are these located???

Yaroslav Blanter

Comment

Working...
                                X