No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have nothing lined up at the moment, so i will pass this over to someone else, i am sure someone will have something ready to post!
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I have one, either someone will get it straight away, or else it will be a real puzzle! Where is this tree and what is special about it?

Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

My first guess goes to Greece, because of the fence and the motorbike.
        Unfortunately the resolution of the picture is so low, that it is not possible to zoom in and identify any details like the trees.
        Has the frame something to do with the tree or is it there for another reason??
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Sorry about the resolution - old film photo. Yes, the frame is very much an important feature in connection with the tree. That should help you well on the way. And yes, Greece it is.
          Ivy

Comment

We learn something new each day.

I am almost sure that we see the most famous tree of Europe here (which was to me totally unknown!!): The plane tree of Hippokrates, which is located on the island Kos in the city of Kos on the Platía Platanoú.

The legend goes, that Hippokrates planted this tree, but this is quite doubtful, because normally plane trees reach an age of 500 years. Hipprokrates however lived 460 until 370 before Christ. Because the tree trunk is hollow, nobody is able to point the exact age.

This picture looks very similar!

http://de.academic.ru/pictures/dewik...s_Platane1.jpg

I hope i found it?

Comment

Ralf, your hope is fulfilled! Yes, apparently they have modified the tale about it being Hippocrates' tree to being one descended from it via a succession of cuttings. So somewhere inside is a gene from his era..... I don't know whether they have ever had it dated by dendrochronology, but it is said to be about 500 years old, so how much longer before it succumbs, I wonder?
              So well done, Ralf, now to you for the next one.
              Last edited by wherrygirl; February 7th, 2011, 19:49. Reason: Spelling!
              Ivy

Comment

O.K. Next one.

What place is this and what are all the people doing there??

picture by Alexandra Mueller

Comment

Well the bridge appears to be full of Japanese people, but i am betting they have just got off a coach, rather than this bridge being in their native country! I have had no luck so far with this one, the photo credit leads me to a tennis player by that name, so no luck down that route either. I shall continue my searches!
                  Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

You are on the right track, Steve. The bridge is not in their native country. But dozends of coaches load them off there each day!!

Comment

Not Thailand, is it?
                      Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                        Not Thailand, is it?
                        I think i can answer that for you, Ivy, no, it's not Thailand, it's a little closer to home than that.

So what are all the Japanese tourists taking pictures of? I wonder(dunno)

Maybe Neuschwanstein Castle??

Photo source Wiki Commons. Credit - Softeis.

And if you were in the castle looking back the other way, you would be looking up a gorge with a little white bridge crossing high above. That bridge is called 'Marienbrücke (Mary's Bridge)'. Sadly i have been unable to find a suitable image of the bridge taken from the castle. The bridge and the castle can be found near the village of Hohenschwangau, in South West Bavaria, Germany.

I must admit the castle looks to be very interesting indeed, and it's surrounding look fantastic!

More images and details of the castle can be found Here.

And information and images of the bridge can be found Here.

Now if i am correct with this wild guess, i shall endeavour to post something for the next puzzle tomorrow.
                        Last edited by Steve.B; February 8th, 2011, 04:27. Reason: Adding link

Comment

Steve, i am impressed. One small hint, and you solved it! I thought this time i could keep you up with this one for a longer time!!

My parents have a holiday appartment near there and so i have been at this place very often. You have mostly to cross the bridge to get up or come back from the mountains. It is the beginning or the end of modern civilisation then, because 99,9 % of all visitors never cross the bridge. Behind it you are alone! Of course i found some beautiful pictures to explain the location of the bridge better. So first here is the view from the caste (or nearby) to the bridge:

picture by Friedrich Böhringer

And here you can see the photographers on the bridge and their motive in one view:

picture by Robert Böck

So now i am wondering what you will present us now!

Last edited by Ralf__; February 8th, 2011, 11:39.

Comment

Magnificent, both the place, the views and above all Steve, in ID-ing it so quickly.
                            Ivy

Comment

I was lucky again in solving that one. I had no luck finding the bridge through normal google searches for bridges, i tried all ways to find the bridge by itself, but with no results. I even tried adding the word "tourist" to my bridge searches, still nothing.
                              So i expanded my "tourist" idea and searched for "popular tourist attractions in Germany". No small white bridges at the top of that list of results, BUT, there was a castle right at the top of the list that caught my eye, or rather the tree's and type of rock around the castle caught my eye. Each looked very similar to the area surrounding the bridge in Ralf's photo. A specific search of that castle soon showed me a view looking back towards a bridge, and luckily the bridge was named in the photo. So another search soon revealed the answer to the puzzle!

Ok, now let's see how long this one will last.

Which place is this?

Photo credit John Philips.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                                Ok, now let's see how long this one will last.

Which place is this?

I think we are back on Lundy Island again and that this is a traditional dome shaped stone dwelling.

Comment

Working...
                                X