No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, i took a long time writing my last post and meanwhile you have both been working on it. Good!
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I found this from the “datasheet”
      http://community.livejournal.com/ru_...n/1347006.html
      and that led me to realise what it was, as described here:-
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lun-class_ekranoplan

Comment

THANK you very much Cecilia,finding out about lun,did you manage to find about the torpedo factory.

well ladies I and C,you both managed it to solve this one,so it's your turn, one or two new ones.
        best regards Thijs

Comment

Factory wasn’t quite the right word - it was a torpedo testing facility.

Well, that was tremendous fun, but I think that it is surely Ivy that won that round as I only came in at the very end when all the hard work exploring the world had been done! (I merely spent some ten minutes or so in entirely the wrong continent right at the start!)

I do have another Google Earth one if you are all really desperate for something to do, but the next main puzzle should be Ivy’s. In any case, the best idea I had for this thread, in the unlikely event that I should ever need to set a puzzle here, was the English church in Copenhagen – but that has just been exposed on the Copenhagen thread!!!!!!! (I had been hoping to challenge Miss East Anglia with that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Comment

well as i said,i like traveling google earth,but hate to gooing on a holiday,without a purpuse,and ran into this place,with that odd plane and structure at sea.
            just didn't know what it was,and had try too surch a translater for it.
            i had the thought that it was more of a vast vessel (trimaran) than a plane through the pontoons at the end of the wing,for stabilacation.
            now i saw and read it have a landinggear.
            was that teating facility for the lun to try his missiles?
            best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
              was that teating facility for the lun to try his missiles?
              Possibly, though it may have been for more general use – the Dagdizel plant at Kaspiysk built naval torpedoes. This plant is still there, now more diversified into other production, although I remember it mentioned in connection with the Kursk submarine disaster.

Ah yes – see among this list of those that died are staff from the Dagdizel plant who, it says, had been onboard the Kursk to supervise the test launch of torpedoes.

Comment

Thijs, if you click on the other 2 photos near the hovercraft, slightly to the left, there are photos of the Orlyonok Ekranoplan, believed to be the only one in existence according to the photographer. Thank you for the know-how on obtaining the data sheet, I hardly use Earth and didn't know that.
                but hate to gooing on a holiday,without a purpuse
                Oh, I agree wholeheartedly. Admittedly I went to Russia and the Ukraine out of sheer curiosity - it was still Communist in 1984 and only one or two people went for a holiday there in those days. When I returned there was a constant stream of work colleagues coming to me to hear what it had been like. Then Iceland again was curiosity and a longing to see this type of land, the geysers, Surtsey and the Westmann Islands etc. Crete purely because I just had to see Knossos, Italy because I had just read "The Agony and the Ecstacy" so had to rush off to Florence. And Australia, well, you know why I went there. And now Holland again to complete my van Gogh trail there before continuing it over here.
                Last edited by wherrygirl; December 31st, 2010, 14:01.
                Ivy

Comment

as i had said earlier i am such a ''cultuurbarbaar"',a walk in the forrest, booring,seightseeing in a old town?isn't it time for my nap jet.
                  loking industrial stuf,oke how late we wil gooing.
                  the beaches of alang,i'm ready,big and high building,press the button for the elevator,truck factories,the car is already running.
                  the ruhr dams that are bomed in the war,i'm in.shipsyards,vessels the bigger the beter,waterbarriers,bridges,and that kind of stuff, historic events,i am intrested.
                  the wall in berlin,seen it loved it,it was still a east and west town.i was in berlin for unloading and loading for the next day,so unhook the trailer and went suching for the wall,when i got back i had droven 35 km to and beside the wall.but no camera with me,(un)loading at a shipyard,may last the whole day.
                  i am such a fun guy to travel with.
                  best regards Thijs

Comment

Places which were once the scene of historic events or came about because of some historic event - yes. Sooner or later I want to visit Nijmegen and Arnhem, not that they are "historic" to me, I lived through the London bombing and they are aspects of that part of the war that I learnt about only afterwards. Also the Delta Works, which I believe were started after the 1953 North Sea surge. I was in Whitehall at the time, and used to go up to the small Ministry of Defence section in our building which was processing all the airphotos taken of the floods on our east coast so that they could be mapped in our Maps Office. I would also like to visit the WW1 trenches in France. I have mentioned elsewhere in CVF of a school visit to Arromanches and Port-en-Bessin in 1946.
                    All this sort of thing I like to do as well as the places I mentioned before.
                    Plenty of places - too many to see, unfortunately.
                    Ivy

Comment

New Year puzzle:

Last edited by wherrygirl; January 2nd, 2011, 00:22.
                      Ivy

Comment

Well i have no idea, but to start some guesses:

Because of the cars i think we are watching a European scenery, because i can identify some German cars like Mercedes W123, VW Bully Type 2, Opel Ascona and so on. I have no idea what these guys are selling in their baskets and so it could be in a countrys where i have not been yet... The picture is at least 25 years old, i guess. South Europe... Gibraltar???
                        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Europe - yes. Not Gibraltar but south Europe - well, yes, just about. Yes, the date is about right, Ralf, or could be a little older, I can't remember precisely. If you could identify what they are selling it could help to limit the possibilities.
                          Last edited by wherrygirl; January 3rd, 2011, 18:40.
                          Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                            ....If you could identify what they are selling it could help to limit the possibilities.
                            Could they be sponges?

Comment

Aye, lass...............
                              Ivy

Comment

Ok, so now I'm thinking maybe Crete (never been there, suggestion based on sponges plus edge of southern Europe ...)

Comment

Working...
                                X