No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, Ombugge, I saw the site - or one like it - showing reports from divers who had seen the wreckage - it is on the list of "things to see" for amateur divers in the area! I was surprised that after all this time there was still much left of it.
    But why would the Maltese say it was part of the Torrey Canyon in the harbour? There is/was so very much else of historic interest there to show us and I found it fascinating without the hulk. And is the report at Google books with the reference to Lloyds just fiction?
    Last edited by wherrygirl; November 8th, 2010, 13:12.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
      Yes, Ombugge, I saw the site - or one like it - showing reports from divers who had seen the wreckage - it is on the list of "things to see" for amateur divers in the area! I was surprised that after all this time there was still much left of it.
      But why would the Maltese say it was part of the Torrey Canyon in the harbour? There is/was so very much else of historic interest there to show us and I found it fascinating without the hulk. And is the report at Google books with the reference to Lloyds just fiction?
      I found the following info re: Torrey Canyon on Miramar:

Subsequent History:
      [rebuilt 1965: 296.9/285.3m, 61263gt/118285dw] - [the old forepart became barge TORREY CANYON - 72 IFRIKIA - FPSO III]

Disposal Data:
      wrecked Pollard Rock, Seven Stones Reef 18.3.67 (1*) [Mena-al-Ahmadi-Milford Haven, crude oil]

So it appears I stand corrected. Although, looking at the pictures above and your picture from Valletta, it appears to be the Aft part that has been re-used, not the fore part as stated.

I'm a bit surprised that it was found economically viable to salvage and re-fit anything from this wreck, looking at the pictures of the wreck above.

It still leave open the question of what happened to this barge finally? In your picture there is no processing equipment to be seen on deck , which means that the conversion to FPSO was not completed at the time. She could have been used as an FSO, however, since the mooring buoy and yoke can be seen at the stern.

Comment

It's always interesting when a mystery like this shows itself. I had a very quick look around the internet late last night trying to find some relevant info. I didn't find any too exciting that's not already been mentioned - dive websites concerning diving the wreck etc.

But, whilst glancing through many sites last night, i did stumble upon some info that may or may not offer some explanation to this mystery. I saw a newspaper clipping on one site that showed the Torrey Canyon in a shipyard during 1965. I think the yard was in Japan. The picture showed the ship cut into at least two pieces. There was very little info with the newspaper clipping, it simple said that you could see the front half of the ship in one dock to the left of the picture, and the rest of the ship in another dock. So was she being lengthened?, or was she having some other serous work done, maybe a new stern or bow section?

I was just wondering if maybe the FPSO III in question could have been built, or at least a part of her, from a section of the Torrey Canyon that was removed from the ship for some reason in 1965? Could that be a possibility?

If so, then the Maltese would not have been telling any lies, a part of the FPSO did indeed come from the Torrey Canyon, only they may have forgot to mention that it was from a part of the ship removed a couple of years before the accident.

Maybe we could find out a bit more about why the ship was cut in half during 1965? I have tried to find the clipping i saw last night, but with no success just yet.
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Ombugge, you must have posted whilst i was writing my post! But looking at the history you have posted i am a little confused. Does the data mean that the forepart was removed during 1965, and that it was that section that became part of the FPSO?. If so, my assumption in my last post could have been correct. Or, was a part of the wreck actually salvaged and used? Like you i am very surprised if a section was actually salvaged from the wreck. If that is the case i also stand corrected.
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
            Ombugge, you must have posted whilst i was writing my post! But looking at the history you have posted i am a little confused. Does the data mean that the forepart was removed during 1965, and that it was that section that became part of the FPSO?. If so, my assumption in my last post could have been correct. Or, was a part of the wreck actually salvaged and used? Like you i am very surprised if a section was actually salvaged from the wreck. If that is the case i also stand corrected.
            Yes, apparently we posted at the same time.
            In 1965 the Torrey Canyon was cut in two and an additional 50 m. mid-section added, (from 246.90 m. to 296.9 m. Loa) to make her 118,285 DWt and thus the biggest tanker in the world at the time. Nothing was removed.
            Looking at the pictures posted earlier, the FPSO III consist of the original AFT part of the Torrey Canyon, with an additional section added on fwrd. of the Samson posts, to increase the storage capacity and form a square flat bow, from which the barge would be towed.

The barge would have been moored by a 6-point mooring system from what had been the stern of the original tanker. This is similar to the arrangement of the FPSO II, with which I was involved during her last re-fit in Singapore in 1997, before heading to Brazil, to be moored in 1400 m. water depth:

This was an old Japanese tanker and complete, but with propeller and rudder removed to make it into a non-propelled barge in permanent mooring. This picture is from Brazil, as the buoy seen here is a lot bigger than the original, and the one seen at the stern of the FPSO III.

Comment

Good detective work Ombugge. I have tried to find anything concerning any salvage of the wreck, but can find no information at all, i can find nothing that records any salvage that took place after the ship broke up and was bombed.

I have read several reports from divers that all describe diving on the stern of the Torrey, so maybe the report you found concerning the forepart was correct. I have found no diving reports concerning the forepart of the ship, not surprising if it was salvaged!

I am just surprised at the apparent lack of information available concerning the later salvage job, that never seemed to make the news.

Comment

Ombugge, you are now the world expert on the Torrey Canyon! If you have a query, folks, don't Ask Jeeves, come to CVF where someone will have the answer.

Well, I've really enjoyed my brief fling on this thread, especially as I've never had a clue on any of the previous places posted and just don't have time to trawl the Web even if I knew where to start. So, Ombugge, you got to Valetta harbour even though you baulked at the hulk, so back to you.
                Ivy

Comment

OK here is a new puzzle:

Where in the wide world do you find this building??
                  Last edited by ombugge; April 16th, 2011, 17:53.

Comment

The emblem to the right of the door seems familiar, but cannot recall how.

I will make a guess at South Africa.

Comment

Is it somewhere in Congo?

Comment

Right continent, wrong country both.

Comment

Is this one in Namibia?
                          Ivy

Comment

Yes it is in Namibia. Town??

Comment

Is it Windhoek, although that's a guess and I can't find the building! I'm influenced by reports of German colonial architecture. Bank? Hotel?
                              Edit. The date on the building, 1915, is the surrender of Windhoek, so it is surely that town.
                              Last edited by wherrygirl; November 14th, 2010, 14:25.
                              Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                                Is it Windhoek, although that's a guess and I can't find the building! I'm influenced by reports of German colonial architecture. Bank? Hotel?
                                Edit. The date on the building, 1915, is the surrender of Windhoek, so it is surely that town.
                                Congratulation Iyv, you did it again. Windhoek it is and one of the latest Germen monumental buildings in the town, I belive. Bonus point if you can name it.

Comment

Working...
                                X